U-28/PC-12/NSA

Ryder1587

Can anything be said about any of the aircraft above? Deployments? Once you get in can you stay in AFSOC for the whole career? Is the flying all it is cracked up to be? Bases? I know a lot of the stuff is classified but any generalizations that can be talked about? I could only find stuff on the MC-12.

Can anything be said about any of the aircraft above? Deployments? Once you get in can you stay in AFSOC for the whole career? Is the flying all it is cracked up to be? Bases? I know a lot of the stuff is classified but any generalizations that can be talked about? I could only find stuff on the MC-12.

About a year ago, NSAs were still being marketed as 6mo on/ 6 mo off deployment schedule to studs. We were also given the impression that once you got AFSOC stink on you, you were more than welcome to stay in (less likely to get out).

U-28s fly out of Hurlburt, most of the NSAs (if not all) are out of Cannon.

I have a buddy who has been doing it for a little over a year now and loves it. He has a lot of those, "I can't tell you what we really did, but it was awesome..." stories. They also lead us to believe that you had a little more freedom to fly in and out of places you wanted to go as long as the overall mission got done, but I don't know much about the extent of that statement.

My classmate in the C-130 school house is cross training into the Gunship from the U-28...so that is possible. Said he loved the mission and the flying.

I got the impression that the deployment rate is "high"/ they are really busy.

Great mission but you will be gone half of the year easily, more if you want.

Single Lt dream scenario, if you ask me.

Can anything be said about any of the aircraft above?

No.

Deployments?

Many. 3 per year unless you're popping our kids or working at Group/Wing.

Once you get in can you stay in AFSOC for the whole career?

That's what they tell us and follow-options are mostly AFSOC.

Is the flying all it is cracked up to be?

Depends what your expectations are and which track you go.

Bases?

Most NSAV = Cannon. U-28 = Hurlburt.

I know a lot of the stuff is classified but any generalizations that can be talked about? I could only find stuff on the MC-12.

Correct and MC-12 stuff is unrelated (ACC asset) so not much worth looking there. As a generalization, I like my job a lot and am glad I went this rout. YMMV depending on attitude and expectations. Generally great dudes to work with and the squadrons here at HRT are mostly well run and morale is high.

Edited by nsplayr

are they typically wanted or competed for? or just a random selection? or the typical answer of it varies per AF needs?

They're mostly desirable, depending on how cool the individual is with deploying to go fly often. They do the job so studs want to get in on it out of upt. Recent history shows U-28's going primarily to T-38 studs on drop nights.

Guest Winning

i'm a young LT in the u-28 program and i'm very excited about the plane. looking back on assignment night i was a little disappointed in not getting a fighter but now i'm 100% satisfied with the path i'm on.

and yes i'm a single guy so looking forward to the deployments and travel.

location is great too...loving destin

i'm a young LT in the u-28 program and i'm very excited about the plane. looking back on assignment night i was a little disappointed in not getting a fighter but now i'm 100% satisfied with the path i'm on.

and yes i'm a single guy so looking forward to the deployments and travel.

location is great too...loving destin

did you track 38s?

How do you like the u-28, anything you can tell about the program so far?

Guest Winning

did you track 38s?

How do you like the u-28, anything you can tell about the program so far?

i did track 38s. only had 1 fighter in our 38 assignment night...what can you do? so got to roll with what you're given.

i love what i'm doing right now. i'll just leave it at that. there are no bad assignments in the AF. it's what you make of it.

edit: i put all fighters first then FAIP, then U-28...so i guess it was kind of desirable but not at the top of my list. looking back on it i probably would have moved u28 above FAIP...but hindsights 20/20...hope that helps

Edited by Winning

Recent history shows U-28's going primarily to T-38 studs on drop nights.

Yeah, I've kept an eye on the trend. It's held true for most of the last year...what up with that? And no, I'm not in UPT anymore, just curious.

Edited by zrooster99

Guest Spectre514

Yeah, I've kept an eye on the trend. It's held true for most of the last year...what up with that? And no, I'm not in UPT anymore, just curious.

If you look back at the stats since the U-28s began taking UPT grads back in late 2006, you'll notice that the large majority come from the -38. Some were trained at Corpus Christi and only a couple from the T-1. I think that trend will continue. However, I believe the NSAv does have a more balanced mix of T-1 and T-38 grads.

Leadership from Hurlbert said they preferred 38 studs, not sure why, probably something about quality of training etc. They're doing important AFSOC things so they likely get what they want.

Edited by TrainerModel

looking back on it i probably would have moved u28 above FAIP...

Absolutely do this. Absolutely.

This is like getting a TASS assignment back in the old days. Maybe not a fighter right away but at least you're in the fight doing some really cool shit on day one.