With Russia's $650 billion rearmament plan, the bear sharpens its teeth

ClearedHot

Open sources says Dutch and Australian troops are going to secure the crash site. Open sources also say Russia is sending "heavy weapons" into Ukraine. Things are getting sportier by the day...

I won't pretend to be smart on the geopolitics over there, but I see nothing good coming from intervening. What is your reasoning for doing so?

Because it gives the West an alternative to direct involvement to prevent / reverse Russian gains & efforts in causing the break up of Ukraine. There is a risk of escalation but the risk of a Russian victory ala a successful pro-Russian separatist victory in eastern Ukraine is worse. Giving them systems and training to effectively counter the aid the Russians are giving these yokels is a good move. We have been on the sidelines in terms of supporting movements that are carrying the water for us in parts of the world based on worrying too much about escalation, our enemies like Russia, Iran, China, etc... don't have such concerns and as such we have to help out our friends or possible friends even if it might ratchet things up.

It's old school but the Domino Theory was right, you have to stop the spread of your enemy before his momentum carries the day. First it was Crimea, next it will be eastern Ukraine, then it will be reoccupation of the Baltics... like it or not we live in interesting times requiring the application of smart force from all the Instruments of Power: Military, Economic, Diplomatic, Informational, etc... our enemies haven't gotten the memo from Kerry that "You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text," Kerry told the CBS program "Face the Nation."

It amazes me how naive this administration is to believe that you can have a debate with authoritarian regimes, dictators and fanatical theocratic terrorist movements about human rights, peace negotiations, and rule of law based classic liberal values. These people respect force and decisive action, they interpret anything else as dithering weakness, no wonder democracy is getting it's ass kicked lately...

Edited by Clark Griswold

1. How is providing EA/SEAD/DEAD not direct involvement?

2. Our foresight after providing military intervention is slim to none, and I have little faith in our current leadership (not just BO) to successfully navigate those waters.

Out of curiosity, what do you do in the military?

1. How is providing EA/SEAD/DEAD not direct involvement?

2. Our foresight after providing military intervention is slim to none, and I have little faith in our current leadership (not just BO) to successfully navigate those waters.

Out of curiosity, what do you do in the military?

1 - by direct involvement I think we mean boots on the ground or NATO iron in the air. if we give them financial aid and they purchase what they need, SAAB, Dassault Systems, Elbit Systems etc could supply without directly involving the US.

2 - we've got some successes under our belt: US aid to the Mujahideen to eject the Soviets from Afghanistan minus the blowback from no follow thru plan following the Soviet exit, the success of Plan Columbia in thwarting the cartels from turning that country into a failed narco state, and reaching into the past look at Europe & Korea post hostilities - they took some time but they came around

I'm a pilot in the ANG but have a about 10 years AD time and have been fortunate to have flown several airplanes. I am interested in geopolitics / history - if I was not doing what I am doing now I think FAO would be a pretty good gig

Edited by Clark Griswold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The world is starting to make sense again. Russians are back to being the bad guys we all knew them to be.

True - the Russians are reprising their traditional spoiler role in the world but as to the general's comments not surprising. The Russians rely on or plan on tactical nukes in potential conflicts with peer advisories. This just gives the Euros a little more reason to be nervous. The Ruskies have a HUGE advantage over NATO in terms of number and delivery of tactical nukes and if you really want to give Putin an ulcer, you would close this gap.

Russian tactical nuclear weapons still an issue after START treaty ratification

Break out the alert pads and Fulda Gap plans!

Oh yes... back to the good ole days... but it would not hurt to have a show of force like the old days, say a 20 bomber force in 4 formations non-stop unannounced to Europe, drop in ranges in Finland, Poland, Hungary and Romania. Russia's been flexing nuts as they say, it's time to return the favor.

Russian strategic bombers near Canada practice cruise missile strikes on US

We need some new toys for this old war. Space based lasers. Think about it. To annoy the Russians, we could set it to on low and write graffiti all over red square. That would definitely pay them back for the embassy light show.

Break out the alert pads and Fulda Gap plans!

Side note...

We were pulling old stored crap out of the basement of the bowling alley at Illeshiem several years ago and we found a lot of that stuff buried in boxes. Guess we shouldnt have thrown it out.

• 1 month later...