With Russia's $650 billion rearmament plan, the bear sharpens its teeth

ClearedHot

With Russia's $650 billion rearmament plan, the bear sharpens its teeth

The graying bear is getting a make-over. Russia's military is launching its biggest rearmament effort since Soviet times, including a $650 billion program to procure 1,000 new helicopters, 600 combat planes, 100 warships, and 8 nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines...

We give to Plenty of counttries that turn right around and boost their militaries. NK has made a sport of it. (although that's more of an extortion racket) If we haven't reviewed russias aid status for a ton of other reasons by now, something else is out of wack.

The increase to just over 601 billion yuan ($91.5 billion) would go toward "appropriate" hardware spending and salary increases for the 2.3 million members of the People's Liberation Army

It would be interesting to know the real numbers when it comes to their operational budgets vs. new acquisitions. How much TLC are they going to put into keeping their people happy, and their systems functioning? It is interesting that the Rooskies and the Chicomms seem to be focusing on each other.

Superpower hegemony - ain't it grand?

FM

• 2 years later...

Thread revival!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/03/02/kerry-says-russia-is-going-to-lose-if-putins-troops-continue-to-advance-in-ukraine/?hpid=z2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ukraine-crisis-tests-obamas-foreign-policy-focus-on-diplomacy-over-military-force/2014/03/01/c83ec62c-a157-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html

So I guess:

1. A-10 is off the chopping block

2. Force Management Program is on hold indefinitely

3. Stop loss!

4. BDU is coming back (added)

/sarcasm (maybe?)

oh and...

e31.jpg

Edited by PanchBarnes

Yeah, "Pacific Pivot"...timing is perfect. I'm not worried...we have this all under control. Really, the world is becoming a better place and we will do less with less. For reals this time...

Think about it...other than hot women, what does Ukraine really have for us. Ok, hot women are enough of a reason...pack your bags boys, we're going to Kiev!!

• Upvote 2

Yeah, "Pacific Pivot"...timing is perfect. I'm not worried...we have this all under control. Really, the world is becoming a better place and we will do less with less. For reals this time...

Think about it...other than hot women, what does Ukraine really have for us. Ok, hot women are enough of a reason...pack your bags boys, we're going to Kiev!!

I just want to point out that Crimea is just right across the sea from that new transit hub that we're apparently leasing from Romania to take the place of Manas.

I just want to point out that Crimea is just right across the sea from that new transit hub that we're apparently leasing from Romania to take the place of Manas.

Can you say "conveniently aligned"