Air Force Academy to Guard

I'm currently 98 days out from graduation from the zoo (who's counting) and I want to go to the guard. I've got a pilot slot already, and we're all finding out bases tomorrow. I read the AFI that says Academy dudes have to serve their ADSC before being eligible for the guard, but I was thinking Uncle Sam is a little fat around the waist with officers and maybe there's a chance here. Looking for a Viper slot out of Buckley in Denver. I do know very important people in the Colorado guard right now, not sure if that counts for a damn thing...Anyway, thoughts?

Edited by Dukeorions

Keep those contacts, kick ass in UPT, get a fighter, go to Weapons School, hope Denver survives any BRACs between now and then, and maybe you'll have a chance.

I've interviewed with them, that's one of the hardest units to get into if you aren't the son of somebody or prior enlisted with them.

"Who want's to fly Vipers in Colorado and be a ski bum????"

You, me, and like 10,000 other people.

Good luck.

Also, Buckley just held a board, and Guard/Reserve units hold (at most) one per year (Buckley tends to hire less often). Still, it's worth asking your contacts. You know the risk as well as anyone: if you don't get a fighter out of UPT you're extremely unlikely to be picked up by an ANG/ARC FW later on. For this reason, you MAY wish (if it's possible this late in the game) to look into a non-rated position for your four years with the intention of rushing ANG/ARC FWs over that period. You know the risk with this route as well: you may never get hired. One big obstacle (among many) would be rank, because many Guard/Reserve FWs don't want their UPT guys to come back as Captains. Some (e.g., Fresno) wouldn't mind, so this is a question you'd have to ask. You've got a sweet deal right now, and very few would pass on it (including me); but, for the next 2-4 years it looks like fighters will only go to the top few UPT guys. Will you be happy flying a heavy or a King Air? If I were in your shoes, I'd try like hell to get an ANG/ARC fighter slot NOW. Push hard. Tulsa is holding a board in May. Talk to the Squadron/CC and see what he says. Worth a shot. Good luck.

You have a long way to go before assignment night at UPT and nobody here can predict what drops will look like 1.5-2 yrs from now. It is entirely possible 98% of guys who make it to 38s will get fighters, it is also possible only 1 guy per 38 class will get one. Who fucking knows. I say be happy you have a pilot slot, go to UPT and bust your ass and you'll most likely enjoy whatever you end up flying. Buckley has a lot of good dudes (sts) and would be a great job, but giving up your UPT slot for that kind of a shot 4 yrs down the road (because you will at min have to give up your slot and do the 4 yr non-rated gig) just seems stupid to me. And knowing people is nice, but that doesn't guarantee you'll get a job....just keep that in mind.

I just interviewed out there last fall (I crew the jets there) and like everyone said, it's hard to get picked up there. They took a guy off the street this year that had already interviewed with them, and all across the country. It was also the first time in 4 years that they interviewed, but I believe they are trying to get into a more regular 2-year hiring schedule.

Cheers,

Ramathorn

Good idea to stick with your slot. And remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. My wife and I both grew up in CO and never left until I commissioned...we would both kill to live in Colorado again, and I'm pretty sure my wife would do anything (yes...anything) that would get us back to Colorado, but that said, I'm having a great time flying AD and not a bit of me wants to jump ship right now even if Buckley called today. Maybe the Guard is in the future down the road, maybe it's not, but just remember the guard is not the end all, be all and I'm happy I made this decision instead of going straight for the guard. Obviously that's just my opinion and others have the exact opposite, but just know you will have opportunities on AD your guard bros will miss out on (of course it is subjective and depends on what people personally consider worthwhile opportunities), so there are certainly positives to the AD side...at least for a portion of your career (and remember, you can always try to get a job with the Guard down the road).

Edited by brabus

Looks like i'll be headed to Laughlin for UPT. Couldn't be happier. Thanks again dudes...

So in the span of 8 hours you went from, "...hope I don't get Laughlin" to "Couldn't be happier". I'm calling bullshit.

Laughlin was my last choice, too, but it turned out to be great. The weather was terrific for flying, Lake Amistad was awesome, and at the time at least, it was the UPT base with minimal bullshit (i.e. no blues, best club, etc).

XL, like everything in life, will be what you make of it.

Good luck. Don't fuck it up.

Edited by Bergman

XL, like everything in life, will be what you make of it.

Good luck. Don't fuck it up.

Applies so much to UPT. To this day I hear people talk about how much Vance/Enid sucks. I (and most of the guys in my class) had an awesome time and I know that if I had the same class at any of the UPT bases I would say the exact same thing.

Edited by UPT-hopeful

For the guy who is in the Buckley unit, how many are full time. For the ones that are not how many fly for the airlines? I know the guy who runs the website does vitamin sales.

Forgot to mention that Utah has a reserve Viper unit and better skiing then Colorado.

I couldn't give you an exact number, but I know that a handful of them fly for some sort of airline.

And last time I skied in Utah, all I remember thinking was Vermont in the middle of a sleet storm had better skiing. To each his own!

My Vermont skiing trip was the worst one I have ever taken. I vowed to never ski there again, and I haven't. I have loved skiing Utah every time I have been out there.

My Vermont skiing trip was the worst one I have ever taken. I vowed to never ski there again, and I haven't. I have loved skiing Utah every time I have been out there.

I guess in comparison, Utah would definitely be better that Vermont. Utah must just be Colorad's Vermont.

Laughlin will be fun but Texans butcher Mexican food by smothering everything in meat-chili. Go find a little hole called Memos (on the river). Best stuff in town.