More Uniform Changes!

Flare

I'm still trying to figure out the NWU.

The original NWU (the blue & gray one) is a replacement for the old dungarees. Note it's terminology - Navy Working Uniform. No one's expected to wear those into combat, unless they've got a ship wrapped around them.

The new Type II and Type III NWUs, in desert and woodland, and are for SEALS and the like.

Type-II-Front-and-back.png

This utility/battle/combat uniform nonsense (in all 4 branches) has to stop......

• 5 months later...
Guest thegrayman

Found these "gems" in the new 36-2903 "hot of the presses" today:

1. "Wear only desert sand (tan) undershirts (effective 1 November 2011, black or brown undershirts will no longer be authorized for wear with the FDU or DFDU). Effective immediately, wear of any other color undershirt and/or undershirts is prohibited when wearing the FDU/DFDU (wear of designated unit standardized undershirts with the FDU/DFDU is no longer authorized)."

I wonder which poor bastard is going to get "chiefed" first this coming Friday for wearing a unit t-shirt under their flight suit? God forbid we show any sort of unit pride or attempt to establish any semblance of tradition. This is just what the Air Force needed - giving ammunition to the shoes to stick it to aviators once more for being "different". Freaking crybabies.

Don't even think about wearing a "pen patch":

2. "8.3.6. Morale Patches. Not authorized. Morale patches include, but are not limited to aircraft, specialty, competition or recognition patches"

Was that in the "old" version? And FYI:

3. "The phase out date for the black combat boot with the BDU and FDU is 1 November 2011"

Thoughts? :darkcloud:

Guest schwabbeau

Found these "gems" in the new 36-2903 "hot of the presses" today:

1. "Wear only desert sand (tan) undershirts (effective 1 November 2011, black or brown undershirts will no longer be authorized for wear with the FDU or DFDU). Effective immediately, wear of any other color undershirt and/or undershirts is prohibited when wearing the FDU/DFDU (wear of designated unit standardized undershirts with the FDU/DFDU is no longer authorized)."

I thought we were supposed to wear the sage undershirts w/ the bag. Is this quote specifically for desert bags? Or does it cover all flightsuits? I'll be the guy to get chiefed on friday cuz i'm pretty much guaranteed to forget this by then...

This has been discussed long ago in another thread, UTFSF; all I typed in the search was "boots" and there it was.

Yes, it blows and I plan on wearing my black shirt and boots until the last day, but it's been a long time commin'. If I still had decent looking BDUs I'd wear those on the last day just to protest the disgrace that the ABU is.

As for morale patches, I think we all know they're not "authorized" even now but that doesn't exactly stop people depending on your CC.

I thought we were supposed to wear the sage undershirts w/ the bag. Is this quote specifically for desert bags? Or does it cover all flightsuits? I'll be the guy to get chiefed on friday cuz i'm pretty much guaranteed to forget this by then...

Tan shirts under all bags, green boots at home, tan boots deployed. All of this is Nov 2011, the only thing that takes affect right now (the way I read it) is unit morale shirts (i.e. red or yellow or whatever undershirts) that many units seemed to phase out a while back anyways.

Edited by nsplayr

Guest schwabbeau

Tan shirts under all bags, green boots at home, tan boots deployed. All of this is Nov 2011, the only thing that takes affect right now (the way I read it) is unit morale shirts (i.e. red or yellow or whatever undershirts) that many units seemed to phase out a while back anyways.

Damn. I just bought a bag of sage shirts. I'm sure I have the receipt around here somewhere...

Yea, return those. I searched "sage" throughout the entire pub and didn't see that sage green undershirts were authorized in any uniform combination. Might be wrong but couldn't find it in there. WRT tan shirts, direct from the pub:

6.5.2.1. T-Shirt - Desert Sand colored (Tan). The desert sand colored crew-neck t-shirt without pockets is the only t-shirts authorized for wear with the ABU. The desert sand colored crew-neck t-shirt without pockets are also authorized for wear with the FDU/DFDU. Synthetic moisture wicking fabrics, 100% cotton or cotton/poly blend may be worn with the ABU as long as they match the color. During flight operations t-shirts must be cotton or fire retardant material due to added protection. T-shirts made of 100% nylon or polyester are not authorized during flight.

Also note tan boots no longer authorized in ABUs after 31 Oct 11 at home station but will remain authorized while downrange and with the desert bag "indefinitely."

Huh?

In my (limited) experience they were already frowned upon if not prohibited by commanders at lower levels anyways. Case in point, the 562nd/563rd back at RND (old nav school squadrons) each had morale shirts on friday that got turned off by a OG/CC I believe who didn't like that we weren't "standardized" with the rest of the ops group, some of whom didn't do morale shirts out of preference. This was 2007. At my current base, we tried to do morale shirts on Fridays and the old SQ/CC said no and that was that. Maybe some pointy-nose dudes kept the spirit alive the past few years...

....They also banned "Dental ornamentation," and without a doubt there's a First Shirt somewhere whose sense of self worth and accomplishment is at an all time high right now.

Damn, I had almost saved up enough for one of these...

...Mark my words, the bar is their holy grail, and it's next to go.

I hear ya...man the bastions and protect the booze!

From a cursory glance at this new edition, it seems that an all out war has been launched on the flight suit. In addition to the aforementioned hate on the black shirts/boots and Friday shirts (unit cohesion? we can't have any of that), an updated "definition" of zipper placement has been added:

Old version

3.2.2. Flight Duty Uniform. The FDU/DFDU will have sleeves rolled down to the wrist at all times. The front zipper of the FDU/DFDU will be closed to approximately 3 inches from the neckline. All other zippers will be completely closed. EXCEPTION: The flight cap may be stored in either lower leg pocket without that pocket being fully zipped. A small portion of the cap may be exposed while in the pocket. However, when the cap is removed, the pocket must be fully zipped.

New version

8.3.8. Zippers. The centerline zipper of the FDU/DFDU will be closed to no lower than even with the middle of the nametag. All other zippers will be completely closed. Exception: The flight cap may be stored in either lower leg pocket without that pocket being fully zipped. A small portion of the cap may be exposed while in the pocket. However, when the cap is removed, the pocket must be fully zipped.

(emphasis mine)

There goes the tried-and-true "bottom of the patch" that I sport every day.

One step forward, two steps back. Apparently every call I make from my phone in uniform is now going to be an "official" call.

6.3.3.2. While walking in uniform use of personal electronic media devices, including ear pieces, speaker phones or text messaging is limited to emergencies or when official notifications are necessary. Military customs and courtesies take precedence.

EDIT: Also, got a kick out of this one:

3.1.4. Body Hair. Female Airmen will remove leg hair that is visibly protruding beyond the appropriate hosiery or causes a visibly uneven texture under hosiery.

Edited by damastas

Commanders can make the regs more restrictive... So if you were required to have a morale patch, that would be okay?

How gay can things get? It's sometimes the small things I take pride in wearing (my POW/MIA morale patch) not my giant AETC shield..

Global Strike Sup to 2903:

Add-on patches will be authorized at the discretion of and approved by the installation commander. If authorized, patches will be 1 x 2 or ¾ x 1¾ inches with a background and embroidered letters and/or numerals and border matching the unit nametag. Subdued patches will be olive drab background and embroidered black letters and/or numerals and border. Patches will be in good taste and represent the unit's mission, crew/alert/flying numerical milestones or identify instructor/evaluator positions. It will only be worn on the pen pocket flap Velcro when the flap is removed.

For once Global Strike isn't retardedly restrictive. If I get Chief'd with my Huey patch i'll whip out this gem (sts)

...Mark my words, the bar is their holy grail, and it's next to go.

I think you may be right. If that happens there will be a ledgendary bender at my squadron which has more hard booze than any bar I've ever seen.

Edit to add: probably an epic AF wide bender.

Edited by tac airlifter

I don't think Friday shirts will go away, unless you have have a wingking who hates aircrew.

As far as the zipper thing, I think lining it with the nametag gives room for more play...especially when you have the velcro the patches are placed on moved down a few inches.

• Upvote 2

I am not zipping my leg pocket even if I have to leave one cap in it and wear another.

Seriously...who sits down and thinks of these details?!? Zippers zipped when the cap isn't in it? So now when I walk into a building from outside I have to bend over in an awkward stance a few seconds longer as I first unzip my pocket, then put my cap in it. Likewise going out? Now I'm holding up traffic as I exit the building. Isn't that a fire hazard?? I guess that leaves you bent over long enough for the AF to f*ck you some more...

P.S. Might not be as bad to watch when hot chick airman yummy britches does it...

• Upvote 2

"6.5.2.1. T-Shirt - Desert Sand colored (Tan). The desert sand colored crew-neck t-shirt without pockets is the only t-shirts authorized for wear with the ABU. The desert sand colored crew-neck t-shirt without pockets are also authorized for wear with the FDU/DFDU. Synthetic moisture wicking fabrics, 100% cotton or cotton/poly blend may be worn with the ABU as long as they match the color. During flight operations t-shirts must be cotton or fire retardant material due to added protection. T-shirts made of 100% nylon or polyester are not authorized during flight."

"...is the only t-shirts..." If the writer cannot pass a fifth grade English test, the reg should be optional.

"6.5.2.1. T-Shirt - Desert Sand colored (Tan). The desert sand colored crew-neck t-shirt without pockets is the only t-shirts authorized for wear with the ABU.

"...is the only t-shirts..." If the writer cannot pass a fifth grade English test, the reg should be optional.

Sorry to be the one to break it to ya, but the, "t-shirt... is" is the proper grammar there...

Edited by USFcrusader09