More Uniform Changes!

Flare

Absolutely love mine. 

Also, 95% of folks in our unit do not wear rank on them. Even the OG/CC doesn’t. One guy sewed rank on the shoulders, and another stuck some Velcro rank on one of the arms. Both look ridiculous. 

Probably the guys who will be generals some day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/3/2021 at 3:24 PM, Homestar said:

Won't affect me none, but these look way more comfortable than the current iteration.

Why for the love of everything sacred do we insist on designing PT uniforms to require a tucked-in t-shirt?!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, war007afa said:

Why for the love of everything sacred do we insist on designing PT uniforms to require a tucked-in t-shirt?!

How do you expect to look professional when you’re getting your sweat on if you can’t keep your shirt tucked in????

9 hours ago, war007afa said:

The AF article says they're designed to be worn either way.  Let's see if they update the AFI to match the intent.

7 hours ago, pawnman said:

The AF article says they're designed to be worn either way.  Let's see if they update the AFI to match the intent.

The same guys who ironed fishing line into their BDU sleeves, cut off buttons to sew down their pockets and put weights in their bloused pants are the likely the same people now writing the AFI.  Goodluck!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Doesn't matter if they match the intent in the AFI, you're fighting against base commanders (sometimes from other services) who could just mandate tucking in the shirt when not actively working out.

The military is super conservative with dress and appearance, and wants to portray a certain image. Look how long it took to allow women to have "normal" hairstyles (especially for PT) or grow out their hair, or accept typical hairstyles for different races/ethnicities used to handle physical characteristics of their hair as non-faddish. And for shirts, that image generally is with tucked in shirts.

13 hours ago, SocialD said:

The same guys who ironed fishing line into their BDU sleeves, cut off buttons to sew down their pockets and put weights in their bloused pants are the likely the same people now writing the AFI.  Goodluck!

I heard that’s how you catch bass. Or was it bass?

Edited by Standby
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jazzdude said:

Doesn't matter if they match the intent in the AFI, you're fighting against base commanders (sometimes from other services) who could just mandate tucking in the shirt when not actively working out.

The military is super conservative with dress and appearance, and wants to portray a certain image. Look how long it took to allow women to have "normal" hairstyles (especially for PT) or grow out their hair, or accept typical hairstyles for different races/ethnicities used to handle physical characteristics of their hair as non-faddish. And for shirts, that image generally is with tucked in shirts.

Hell, "tucked in while not working out" is still a step in the right direction.  I've been told to tuck in my shirt while running on a treadmill at AUAB. 

• Like 1

Hell, "tucked in while not working out" is still a step in the right direction.  I've been told to tuck in my shirt while running on a treadmill at AUAB. 
Agreed, but AUAB will probably add to their uniform supplement that the shirt needs to be tucked in (in addition to a reflective belt)

4 hours ago, arg said:

Never heard of that one

Learned all of those when I was in my enlisted tech school back in the day.  Our instructor recommended we do the fishing line trick, because apparently 50 lbs of starch wasn't professional looking enough.  

I do think the summer weight BDUs looked the best of all the uniforms they've had since I've been in.  They were super comfortable too.  Never wore ABUs, but the ACUs are comfortable, but look like shit.  

5 Goofiest Things Troops did to BDUs.

57 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

Agreed, but AUAB will probably add to their uniform supplement that the shirt needs to be tucked in (in addition to a reflective belt)

17 days at AUAB for ROM and I never put on a reflective belt.  It's the small victories these days... 😁

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

I think I would’ve invited the person issuing such a statement to politely indulge in self-fornication

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

17 days at AUAB for ROM and I never put on a reflective belt.  It's the small victories these days... 😁

Not directly related to your post but I wanted to point out that as all deployed locations move away from the reflective belt insanity of last decade, there has been no epidemic of people being hit by cars.  No passengers mowed down by fuel trucks on the flight line, no one hit by a car walking to chow.  In fact it looks like the entire justification for the authoritarian reflective belt polices and enforcement is total bunk.  Time has proven that generation of leadership as completely wrong in their risk assessment.

Every O-6 who sent chiefs hunting aircrew without reflective belts really was a total moron like we all thought; safeguarding us from a theoretical but overblown threat, and making life miserable for no good reason at all.  It was all bullshit from the get go, and they were all idiots at implementation.  

One day we’ll look back at this mask phase with the same conclusion.  Why can’t smarter people lead?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Not directly related to your post but I wanted to point out that as all deployed locations move away from the reflective belt insanity of last decade, there has been no epidemic of people being hit by cars.  No passengers mowed down by fuel trucks on the flight line, no one hit by a car walking to chow.  In fact it looks like the entire justification for the authoritarian reflective belt polices and enforcement is total bunk.  Time has proven that generation of leadership as completely wrong in their risk assessment.

Every O-6 who sent chiefs hunting aircrew without reflective belts really was a total moron like we all thought; safeguarding us from a theoretical but overblown threat, and making life miserable for no good reason at all.  It was all bullshit from the get go, and they were all idiots at implementation.  

One day we’ll look back at this mask phase with the same conclusion.  Why can’t smarter people lead?

I think some aspect of the moronic adherence to wearing glow belts stemmed from the Army's example. As I understand it, glow belts were first a thing at the Army locations (i.e. Bagram, Kabul, etc.) and metastisized to elsewhere. That is not to excuse AF leadership for following the Army's lead, though. My assignment at an Army post and working with Army folks now convinces me that no one can perform the moronic quite like the Army.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

The reflective belt insanity mostly started from the Camp Andy forklift incident...which would have still happened with a reflective belt because the forklift was not being driven correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Ah, so you mean the root cause analysis approach wasn't used?  And a ridiculous recommendation was born from it that in no way would have prevented the mishap from occurring?  I'm shocked, totally shocked, that something like that could happen.

(Or not, judging by all the ridiculous mishap-related 847s my FMRC DNC'd in Dec 🙄)