More Uniform Changes!

Flare

I would like to see a copy of what you sent. We younger folk on the board could probably learn something regarding "how to email a general without looking like a retard."

Younger folk cannot send unsolicited emails to a general without looking like a retard. Same for the vast majority of older folk.

It is amazing we have had something along the lines of 98 uniform boards even though the AF is 63 years old.

1 board in the 60s, 1 in the 70s, 1 in the 80s, 6.9 in the 90s, 69 from 2000-present. If we are lucky they'll start holding monthly uniform boards.

You know, for all the bitching about the changes...

How did people miss this gem:

1.3. Optional Wear of the Air Force Uniform.

1.3.1. During Travel. When traveling in an official capacity on commercial air, in CONUS (to include Alaska and Hawaii), the Service Dress uniform (Class A), Blue uniform (Class B), Airman Battle Uniform (ABU), Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) or Desert Camouflage Uniform (DCU) may be worn (BDU/DCU phase out 1 Nov 2011), as appropriate. Wear of the flight duty uniform is not authorized.

1.3.5. Those choosing to wear civilian clothing in lieu of a uniform during official travel will ensure it is neat, clean, warm enough for in-flight operations, and appropriate for the mode of travel and destination. Examples of inappropriate clothing include: ripped, torn, frayed or patched clothing, tank tops, extremely short shorts/skirts, undergarments worn as outer garments, bathing suits, sandals, and any garments which are revealing or contain obscene, profane, or lewd words or drawings.

Dear shoes, thank you for finally un######ing the "wear your blues to fly commercial."

Can't believe you guys didn't catch the new verbiage for sleeves:

8.3.7. Sleeves. The FDU/DFDU will have sleeves rolled down to the wrist when performing aircrew duties in-flight. Sleeves may be rolled under if not performing in-flight duties; if rolled under the sleeve will not end above the natural bend of the wrist when the wearer’s arms are hanging naturally at their side.

The way I interpret that is if you're not performing aircrew duties in-flight or don't roll your sleeves under, they don't have to be near your wrist. Printed that shit out, pushed my unrolled my sleeves up, and walked around today...LIKE A BOSS.

• Upvote 2

Out-shoe the Shoes volume II.

6.4.1.5. Dress Boot. Can be worn with the service dress and service uniforms. If worn, the dress boot sole will be black plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe. A zipper or elastic inserts may be worn; however, if worn they will be without design. The sole will not exceed ½ inch in thickness and heel will not exceed 1-inch in height (measured from the inside front of the heel). High-gloss or patent finish is optional.

This means new Blues Monday foot apparel =

3133-zoom%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by discus

Out-shoe the Shoes volume II.

This means new Blues Monday foot apparel =

3133-zoom%5B1%5D.jpg

Yeah man, I always get questioned about my boots on blues Monday. "Why are you wearing cowboy boots...I don't think those are legal..." I tell them to look it up in the reg, it has been there for as long as I know. 100X more comfortable, durable and badass.

Can't believe you guys didn't catch the new verbiage for sleeves:

The way I interpret that is if you're not performing aircrew duties in-flight or don't roll your sleeves under, they don't have to be near your wrist. Printed that shit out, pushed my unrolled my sleeves up, and walked around today...LIKE A BOSS.

The Aircrew Duties chapter in my -1 says, "Not Applicable." I guess I can do whatever I want.

• Upvote 1

1.3.5. Those choosing to wear civilian clothing in lieu of a uniform during official travel will ensure it is neat, clean, warm enough for in-flight operations, and appropriate for the mode of travel and destination. Examples of inappropriate clothing include: ripped, torn, frayed or patched clothing, tank tops, extremely short shorts/skirts, undergarments worn as outer garments, bathing suits, sandals, and any garments which are revealing or contain obscene, profane, or lewd words or drawings.

You have to be fisting me--I can't wear sandals when flying TDY if I'm in civis??

All this shit is just one of the 69 reasons that flyers put CGOC emails on auto-delete.

• Upvote 1

You have to be fisting me--I can't wear sandals when flying TDY if I'm in civis??

So how exactly would that be enforced? Who is going to write someone up for a "clothing violation/uniform violation" in civilian clothing?

8.3.7. Sleeves. The FDU/DFDU will have sleeves rolled down to the wrist when performing aircrew duties in-flight. Sleeves may be rolled under if not performing in-flight duties; if rolled under the sleeve will not end above the natural bend of the wrist when the wearer’s arms are hanging naturally at their side.

Like this?

robin_olds_manions_auction_kc.jpg

Yeah man, I always get questioned about my boots on blues Monday. "Why are you wearing cowboy boots...I don't think those are legal..." I tell them to look it up in the reg, it has been there for as long as I know. 100X more comfortable, durable and badass.

Check. :rock:

Just got 3 new flightsuits last week & the sleeves fully down only go to about halfway down my forearm. I guess I'll have to throw them away now so I'm not breaking the rules.

Great job AF...reason #6969 that a lot of good dudes are punching!

Just got 3 new flightsuits last week & the sleeves fully down only go to about halfway down my forearm. I guess I'll have to throw them away now so I'm not breaking the rules.

Great job AF...reason #6969 that a lot of good dudes are punching!

Are your arms disproportionately longer than the rest of your body? Never seen a flight suit short-sleeves-only option...did see a thigh pocket zipper sewn on inside-out.

multiple-meanings-optical-illusion-25.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes this sucks about us getting out shoe'd. Cause I for one will miss my black boots, black t-shirt's, and my "moral shirts" that they say we can't wear anymore. Here's a thought and I'm going out on a limb here with all the free time that us flyers have, why don't we all just submit request in to the uniform board about bringing them back? Seems like the shoe's submit some pretty dumb ideas to them anyway. Why not try and get back our heritage or what ever new buzz word is for it these days?

I wonder what they would do if the next uniform board got 13,000 suggestions allowing rated folks to wear "morale shirts" and MEO/SARC compliant morale patches.

As for the sleeve roll we could go on the offensive and try to make it illegal in ABUs outside the AOR. We may be shooting ourselves in the foot but at least we'd get to mess with the shoes a bit.

I wonder what they would do if the next uniform board got 13,000 suggestions allowing rated folks to wear "morale shirts" and MEO/SARC compliant morale patches.

Seriously? Not a fucking thing. Maybe a mandatory .ppt briefing on the "seriousness" of uniform boards?

As for the sleeve roll we could go on the offensive and try to make it illegal in ABUs outside the AOR. We may be shooting ourselves in the foot but at least we'd get to mess with the shoes a bit.

I'm not sure what you guys' ABUs are made out of, but the fabric is so damn thick that when the sleeves are rolled my arms barely squeeze through and I look like I'm swole all day. Unless you have the biceps of a 12 year old girl it's just not comfortable or worth it...maybe there's a summer-weight version I'm missing out on?

I'm all about fighting shoes with their own shoe rules, but the day we start adding to the bullsh*t just to f*ck our buddy is the day we're truly fit for managership (note I didn't say leadership). The big wig for uniform BS is an officer and in all likelihood a pilot (although not the current one) and maybe someday in the distant past he was just like us. But at some point he drank too much kool aid, became the good idea fairy, and bam, now we have more stupid sh*t in the new AFI than in the last version. Be careful about playing the shoe game too well.

Also, here is the process for trying to reverse some of the dumbness:

Airmen can provide uniform recommendations by going to the Air Force Innovative Development through Employee Awareness (IDEA) Program Web site at the Air Force Portal, https://www.my.af.mil/gcss-af/USAF/ep/globalTab.do?command=org&channelPageId=-
Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 2

The big wig for uniform BS is an officer and in all likelihood a pilot (although not the current one) and maybe someday in the distant past he was just like us. But at some point he drank too much kool aid, became the good idea fairy, and bam, now we have more stupid sh*t in the new AFI than in the last version.

I bet you that that guy "StoolSoftener" had something to do with this. It seems to match the kind of ideas that he has come up with.