More Uniform Changes!

Flare

• 6 months later...

Air Force Says 'No' to New Camouflage

Some U.S. Air Force personnel will suit up in the Army's new camouflage pattern next year, but most airmen will have to keep wearing their service's distinctive tiger-stripe pattern.

The Air Force has decided not to follow the Army's recent decision to replace its digital camouflage pattern. The ruling marks a reversal from a decade ago when the Air Force was quick to adopt its own digital pattern after the Army unveiled its new pixilated Universal Camouflage Pattern in 2004.

The tiger-stripe pattern on the Airmen Battle Uniform will remain in service for garrison use, said Air Force spokeswoman Rose Richeson.

"There is no plan to change that currently," she said.

Airmen deploying on missions with the Army will wear service's new Operational Camouflage Pattern, Richeson said, explaining the Air Force uniform policy for airmen attached to Army units.

The new OCP is very similar to MultiCam, the pattern the Army chose in 2010 for soldiers to wear in Afghanistan. However, Army officials maintain that there are differences between the two designs.

OCP is also known as Scorpion W2, a revised version of the original Scorpion pattern that Crye Precision LLC developed for the Army's Future Force Warrior in 2002.

The service plans to make Army Combat Uniforms, printed in the new pattern, available at Military Clothing Sales Stores next summer. Soldiers are expected to retire their current uniform and begin wearing the new pattern by the summer of 2018.

That is also the deadline Congress has imposed for the Pentagon to develop a joint combat uniform. The language in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2014 takes aim at service-specific camouflage patterns.

These patterns have resulted in billions of dollars spent to field unique uniforms and equipment that in some cases has focused more on creating a visual brand for each service than effective concealment for the battlefield.

Moving to one joint combat uniform doesn't mean there would only be one camouflage pattern. Different patterns could still be designed for specific geographic requirements such as the woodland or desert patterns. However, each service would not design unique versions, according to the Congressional language.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/03/air-force-says-no-to-new-camouflage/?intcmp=obnetwork

I know I am relieved. Wouldn't want to have a functional uniform or anything...especially after I recall hearing how our elected officials said we need to go back to one joint uniform (Here).

I know I am relieved. Wouldn't want to have a functional uniform or anything...especially after I recall hearing how our elected officials said we need to go back to one joint uniform (Here).

Interestingly enough, the Army's new Scorpion W2 OCP looks very much like the woodland BDU's of yesteryear. I guess that's the go-to for joint uniforms.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/08/02/us-army-photos-scorpion-w2-operational-camouflage-pattern-variant-army-combat-uniform/

MSG-Benjamin-Owens-in-OCP-ACU-US-Army-Ph

Why can't they keep the damn multicam?

Why spend billions more to replace a uniform that is 96.9% the same pattern as what is already being issued for those down range?

And why is the AF keeping the stupid ABU?

The army didn't want to pay Crye the licensing fee for multicam so they used a pattern they already had rights to.

The army didn't want to pay Crye the licensing fee for multicam so they used a pattern they already had rights to.

This. And while Crye was willing to sell DOD the license outright at a pretty good price, there was still going to be an "imprint fee" paid to Crye for every item made in multicam. So whenever you hear the army talk about the new pattern (scorpion), they will mention that is is similar to, but different than multicam. It was a pattern developed by the army & submitted in the original next generation camo competition, but eliminated in the first round because it was too close in appearance to multicam. Apparently they've pulled it off the shelf because they couldn't get the deal they needed to license multicam.

Tie the sleeves in an overhand knot in front of you... You look like a chick, but it works.

^ this

Is enrages me when I can see the upper half of a dudes flightsuit pooled on the shitter floor next to me. Their collar just has to be swimming in day-old piss overspray. It's f-ing nasty

Edited by 10percenttruth
  • Upvote 4

^ this

Is enrages me when I can see the upper half of a dudes flightsuit pooled on the shitter floor next to me. Their collar just has to be swimming in day-old piss overspray. It's f-ing nasty

This enrages you? Then reach under and hold it up for him while he finishes his duty.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

^ this

And if you're going to toss half your clothes on the floor, at least save yourself some dignity and arrange it so your name tag isn't right on top!