Military Family/Spouse Hardships

Guest newsie

Guest newsie

I am new to the military community, recently engaged. I am also a reporter, assigned to look into the issues facing military families, especially spouses, during deployment. It is an attempt to expand media coverage of military families beyond the surface of just deployments and re-deployments and instead, focus on what goes on in-between. With your help, I can gain further insight into some of the civilian issues faced by spouses and families.

I'm not looking to find out about missing your husband, fiance, boyfriend, etc. during a deployment. I know those struggles first hand. I also know there are tons of support groups, FRGs, etc within the military community for spouses and families. It is the problems off base, in the civilian community that I'm interested in.

What issues do you think need to be addressed by local, state and federal policy makers to make life easier for military families? Have you had a hard time getting a civilian job because employers know you'll be moving soon? Is there a lot of competition for jobs on base for spouses? What needs to be resolved to make continuing higher education easier for spouses on the move? Re-certifications? Scam artist have been known to prey on military families.. Have you been scammed by absuive lending? High interest loans and bogus credit plans?

I am new to the military community, recently engaged. I am also a reporter, assigned to look into the issues facing military families, especially spouses, during deployment. It is an attempt to expand media coverage of military families beyond the surface of just deployments and re-deployments and instead, focus on what goes on in-between. With your help, I can gain further insight into some of the civilian issues faced by spouses and families.

I'm not looking to find out about missing your husband, fiance, boyfriend, etc. during a deployment. I know those struggles first hand. I also know there are tons of support groups, FRGs, etc within the military community for spouses and families. It is the problems off base, in the civilian community that I'm interested in.

What issues do you think need to be addressed by local, state and federal policy makers to make life easier for military families? Have you had a hard time getting a civilian job because employers know you'll be moving soon? Is there a lot of competition for jobs on base for spouses? What needs to be resolved to make continuing higher education easier for spouses on the move? Re-certifications? Scam artist have been known to prey on military families.. Have you been scammed by absuive lending? High interest loans and bogus credit plans?

Here's a few issues: Transfer credits for spouses. Let's assume a 2-3 year "normal" assignment. You PCS in a month that isn't convenient for school applications, say July of year 1. The application deadline for Fall has passed, and thus you need to wait until Feb of year 2, in order to apply for Fall of year 2, but then the school doesn't want to take all the transfer credits, even on a similar program. Reluctantly your spouse starts (all over again since the transfer credits weren't taken), hoping you'll be in place long enough to complete the program. Then you're VML'd with no reclama and out the door before Year 3 is even complete. Don't know how many people have this issue, but for a graduate program it's difficult.

Another issue regarding jobs: Professional licensing. Each state has different rules for doctors, nurses, teachers. It would be great if a military spouse with the proper credentials could somehow fast-track these requirements, but I don't see that happening any time soon, or ever.

Good luck on your reporting, and sorry, neither my wife nor I will be doing any interviews or non-forum discussions.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

• 2 months later...

Recently spent $500+ for my wife to get certified in Texas, even though she was qualified in FL. I understand states have different standards, but it should at least be free/cheap to go from state-to-state. Fortunately, I remember seeing something recently about the White House helping out military families with this type of stuff... but I doubt we'll see anything useful anytime soon.

A number of my friends' spouses got on/near-base jobs recently, but they aren't really career type things... but that level of employment is tough at a UPT base. My wife is working on her Masters and hopefully taking a few substitute teaching days once our puppy's bladder grows.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a few issues: Transfer credits for spouses. Let's assume a 2-3 year "normal" assignment. You PCS in a month that isn't convenient for school applications, say July of year 1. The application deadline for Fall has passed, and thus you need to wait until Feb of year 2, in order to apply for Fall of year 2, but then the school doesn't want to take all the transfer credits, even on a similar program. Reluctantly your spouse starts (all over again since the transfer credits weren't taken), hoping you'll be in place long enough to complete the program. Then you're VML'd with no reclama and out the door before Year 3 is even complete. Don't know how many people have this issue, but for a graduate program it's difficult.

Another issue regarding jobs: Professional licensing. Each state has different rules for doctors, nurses, teachers. It would be great if a military spouse with the proper credentials could somehow fast-track these requirements, but I don't see that happening any time soon, or ever.

Good luck on your reporting, and sorry, neither my wife nor I will be doing any interviews or non-forum discussions.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

I could be wrong, but I thought congress passed a "law" telling colleges that they have to take military spouse/dependent credits (Spouse Relief act? I do not know the name, sorry!). However, where the school will "get you" is they will take those credits and apply them as "electives" and not core classes, even though it can be the same damn class (ask me how I know ;)) High Schools have to do the same thing (I think?), because you were getting High School military brats transferring schools, and the new school was putting them in a lower grade then where they belonged.

As for certificates: yeah, that just sucks. :(

I was almost denied a promotion because of the possibility of moving (yes, the manager told me this). It pissed me off, but I learned my lesson, don't talk about being a military spouse at work. I have been told that it's really hard for spouses to get a job on base... But, my source was a bitter spouse ;)

I have never been scammed *knocks on wood*

OH! Speaking of education: The VA. It would be SO flipping NICE if the VA would TRAIN the VA reps at colleges, so that when you ask them questions, they don't look at you with a blank stare going "huh? I'll have to get back to you.." and then 3 months later you receive "well, I still don't know, I'm trying to figure this out..." blah blah blah.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Magnum613

I'm Magnum's wife...

The biggest struggle I have faced being a military family is PCSing with my children. My son is 7 1/2 and has moderate to severe autism. We have had 3 assignments in 3 years, and are fighting for our fourth (I'll get into that little struggle a bit later). First off, transferring him in and out of schools is a huge arse pain. Usually requires an act of Congress to get an IEP meeting, and services set up. Not to mention when you move there's normally a 3-4 month waiting period between PCSing and getting him in all his therapy. Routine is key for children on the spectrum, and PCSing disrupts the routine. Unfortunately, I have learned (the hard way), if your spouse is going to have a decent career as an officer, that means he will be packing your happy butt up every 2-3 years for a move. My daughter, just kinda goes with the flow, but it doesn't make moves any easier. She makes friends and then they are gone after a few short months. Right now, I don't really give a flying poop about my career. I think it's great that they are throwing career opportunities and educational opportunities at us, but I also think that the military could be more homesteader friendly. I feel like my family's getting screwed if my husband is doing well career-wise, and my husband's getting screwed if my family is stable and happy. The biggest thing the military can do for this spouse is fix the gosh darned EFMP.