Spend the money for extra ratings?

Hi I'm a 17 year old private pilot who is working on my IR. I'm wondering how important extra ratings are to the ANG/AFRes. I'm not planning on enlisting during college, but Ill probably get good grades. Should I work my tail off to get the money for Multi, Comm, and CFI or should I stop at instrument?

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong place. I couldn't find any threads answering this question.

What is your major going to be? I would not bother to get more ratings. I am not an expert on the matter but if I knew then what I know now I would major in someone useful in college, get my private and instrument, work toward 200 hours (for PCSM reasons), and then try to get hired by a unit. Ratings are good but they are not necessarily worth what they cost if you get hired with the AFRC/ANG.

Someone else may disagree...

FWIW, I don't know if it really matters. I got picked up with only private. But then again another dude that was hired in with me had his CFI. I think they really only focus on the person rather than the ratings they hold. Just my .02.

I would rather avoid enlisting, just because I want to focus on college and not worry about duties and deployments. I would, however, be open to comissioning as a non rated officer after college and then applying for a pilot slot.

Edited by AzamatBagatov

I would rather avoid enlisting, just because I want to focus on college and not worry about duties and deployments.

Dude, you're 17. Enlisting would provide a lot of good experience. The unit will care more about you enlisting than they will about you have x amount of ratings and hours. Most dudes I know that got picked up in a guard unit weren't picked up until they were 25 or 26 anyways. Leaves a lot of time for you to experience the military life and still finish college. Not to mention they Guard will probably pay for most if not all of your tuition. I guess what I'm trying to say is to keep an open mind. Don't discount the idea, more than likely a couple of the interview board members will be prior enlisted while in college and make take offense to you not wanting to 'worry about duties and deployments'. But either way good luck on your endeavors.

Edited by Guinthjb

I'm talking more in terms of hours rather than ratings. If I'm going to get 200hrs, mine as well splurge for the extra 50 and get my CFI so I have a good job in college (beats pumping gas), right?

hahahaha

welp, I'm a CFI. I wouldn't necessarily call it a good if you consider income. My friends from college all have office/desk jobs but they get to go out and blow $100+ at the bars on the weekend.

I do love flying on a daily basis. I'm a lucky CFI to even have a steady job so its just based on what you want. I could probably make more money waiting tables busting my ass and working 50 hours a week but flying every day makes what i'm doing for the time being OK as long as this AF thing pans out!

That being said, hopefully the waiting game will be over for me soon.

I have a business management degree from a decent Liberal Arts school. I was hired by a unit this past June, now i'm waiting on the board.

I would finish your IR, if you have already started and just brown nose with as many people as possible to build time.

i guarantee you that if you make friends at a rural airport and meet someone with a cessna 150, you could probably work out a deal to build time in their plane...

Edited by skifreeatomic

Dude, you're 17. Enlisting would provide a lot of good experience. The unit will care more about you enlisting than they will about you have x amount of ratings and hours. Most dudes I know that got picked up in a guard unit weren't picked up until they were 25 or 26 anyways. Leaves a lot of time for you to experience the military life and still finish college. Not to mention they Guard will probably pay for most if not all of your tuition. I guess what I'm trying to say is to keep an open mind. Don't discount the idea, more than likely a couple of the interview board members will be prior enlisted while in college and make take offense to you not wanting to 'worry about duties and deployments'. But either way good luck on your endeavors.

I understand. I'm sorry if it sounds disrespectful, I really don't mean it. The only reason I'm shying away from enlistment is because I don't think it's truly what I want to do, and I'm not going to enlist just for the money and benefits. If it's necessary to get a pilot slot, hell yes I'll do it, without hesitation. However, I was under the impression that this was not the case. Then again, I don't know much about working for uncle Sam so I'm currently reading up on these forums and keeping an open mind.

I understand. I'm sorry if it sounds disrespectful, I really don't mean it. The only reason I'm shying away from enlistment is because I don't think it's truly what I want to do, and I'm not going to enlist just for the money and benefits. If it's necessary to get a pilot slot, hell yes I'll do it, without hesitation. However, I was under the impression that this was not the case. Then again, I don't know much about working for uncle Sam so I'm currently reading up on these forums and keeping an open mind.

Personally, I think you are in for an awakening once you start applying. You will be competing with guys that have been enlisted for a few years, have a PPL, and have been deploying/drinking/knowing the people on the hiring board very well with additional military/work experience that you do not. Hell, I know a Loadmaster and Flight Engineer that were hired without a PPL on a board competing with guys that had more than a PPL. Why? Because the board knows their work ethic, motivation level, and character. Can you sell those qualities in a 30 minute interview? Best of luck.

Well, I'll keep my mind open to the idea. I'll do some more snooping around these forums. I just don't know much about enlisted life, which is why I hesitate to enlist.

EDIT: I didn't read your other posts, seems you're not too keen on the enlisting idea, and I'm not here to cram anything down anyone's throat (sts), however read on if you want some more insight....

Enlisted life as a troop in the ANG is pretty much as involved as you want it to be. We have weekenders that, after they get back from tech school, we barely ever see them. They do the minimum drills, and we see them for about a week during "summer camp". Other then that, their lifestyle is not affected by being in the unit.

On the other hand, we have dudes who are always around the unit, picking up man-days, making up drills, etc.

I would say the number one thing you can do to improve your chances of being picked up by a unit is enlist. Even if you apply to a different unit, having that 1-2yrs of military experience will really set you apart or at least on par with the other guys they're interviewing.

I was an 8yr enlisted AMXS troop before being picked up. Best thing I ever did was to enlist.

Edited by ȘÃ…İňŦ

Guest kava0049

I was picked up by an AFRC unit with a private and only 40 hrs of time. The ANG/AFRes units constantly have young guys knocking on the door trying to get a job. You have to stand out from everyone else, want it more than the next guy. Get a couple good letters of recommendations and start visiting units. Get on the phone and ask if you can join them for a drill weekend. As long as you do well enough to get by on your PCSM, they really just want to get to know you and see if you fit in. Good Luck!

Guest 12XU2A3X3

FWIW remember that your total hours boost your PSCM, but i believe you get to a point of diminishing returns.

Well, Ive been doing some reading and I've decided that if enlisting is what it will take to get a pilot slot, then I'll do it, and I'll do it 100%, but I'm going to wait until my second year of college. I'm thinking I want to be a flight engineer, but I hear you need prior experience and two tears of training, so instead I'm thinking loadmaster. Is this a good idea?

Guest Bag_Boy

Hey man, I was in the same boat as you, I'm 22 years old now and am waiting to start pilot training in the august. I got hired in august by a C-130 unit with nothing but a PPL with 63 hours and good grades (no prior military service). I would definitely suggest concentrating on college and getting as good grades as possible. The reason being is that you take you AFOQT and have the PCSM which are important, but those are tests that you take once. Mine were 88 for pilot and 91 for PCSM. Then they look at your GPA which shows how you work over a long period of time (4 years or so). Mine was a 3.78. They want to know that you are a hard worker and can make it through all the training, and college grades show that. I would also suggest majoring in something that interests you. Doing mechanical engineering and getting a 3.1 isn't gonna help your chances much. I did marketing and got a decent GPA, and that's what made a difference for me. So major in something that you know you'll do well in and DO WELL! Also, Busting it through the summers and graduating in 3 years with good grades would show a hard work ethic. Plus you'll have another year head start. It's a long road to get picked up by a unit, but it's definitely with it man. I can't wait to start!

Guest 12XU2A3X3

Hey man, I was in the same boat as you, I'm 22 years old now and am waiting to start pilot training in the august. I got hired in august by a C-130 unit with nothing but a PPL with 63 hours and good grades (no prior military service). I would definitely suggest concentrating on college and getting as good grades as possible. The reason being is that you take you AFOQT and have the PCSM which are important, but those are tests that you take once. Mine were 88 for pilot and 91 for PCSM. Then they look at your GPA which shows how you work over a long period of time (4 years or so). Mine was a 3.78. They want to know that you are a hard worker and can make it through all the training, and college grades show that. I would also suggest majoring in something that interests you. Doing mechanical engineering and getting a 3.1 isn't gonna help your chances much. I did marketing and got a decent GPA, and that's what made a difference for me. So major in something that you know you'll do well in and DO WELL! Also, Busting it through the summers and graduating in 3 years with good grades would show a hard work ethic. Plus you'll have another year head start. It's a long road to get picked up by a unit, but it's definitely with it man. I can't wait to start!

loadmaster school house is 12 months. people do it both ways. you are just less likely to get hired off the street in the era. that's probably more true with fast jets then heavies

• 2 weeks later...

I spent over seven years with a guard unit as enlisted aircrew. while I did that, i went to school, deployed a couple of times with them, etc. The unit i was with, wasnt hiring around the time i was interested. however, the first unit i put a package in with, got an interview and then ended up with the alternate slot. the second unit i applied with, interviewed and got a primary slot. Keep in mind i didnt know a single person in either unit!

I had a bachelors with a 2.8 gpa

PPL (approx 60hrs)

96 on pilot portion of afoqt

84 pcsm for tbas

The unit I got picked up with were and are very cool people. they want to get to know you as a person in your 20 minutes of fame sitting in that interview! i have talked to many pilots that sit on boards and every single one of them looks for something different. a lot of civilian time vs minimal, prior service vs off the street (more so from the unit you are interviewing with), many rec letters vs minimum, etc.

just go into a interview with a GREAT attitude! be confident but not cocky! showing emotion and humor isnt a bad thing. most guard guys i have encoutered want a guy or girl that they can sit back and drink beer with and trust to safely fly an airplane! the air guard is a family and you need to let them know that you want to pay your dues and be a part of that family!