2011 BAH Rates

HU&W

So, the new BAH rates for 2011 came out (STS) today. I'm moving to Clovis in a few months and guess what, the BAH for my paygrade dropped by $70 from CY10-CY11. The strange thing about that is house prices in Clovis have skyrocketed since the AFSOC takeover (almost double vs a few years ago in Clovis). So a similar house in Clovis to the one I'm in will cost $500 more per month than the one I'm currently in and I'm going to lose $300 per month in BAH. :bash::bash: :bash:

So, the new BAH rates for 2011 came out (STS) today. I'm moving to Clovis in a few months and guess what, the BAH for my paygrade dropped by $70 from CY10-CY11. The strange thing about that is house prices in Clovis have skyrocketed since the AFSOC takeover (almost double vs a few years ago in Clovis). So a similar house in Clovis to the one I'm in will cost $500 more per month than the one I'm currently in and I'm going to lose $300 per month in BAH. :bash::bash: :bash:

Quick look-up link -- https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

Maybe I do the Democrat version of math, but if your BAH dropped by $70, how are you losing out on $300.00 per month? $70 is less than $300 last I checked.

Guest Crew Report

Went from $1320 for an O-4 w/ dep at Altus to $1254. There is NOTHING here to rent at that price that you'd want to live in. Thanks DOD!!!!

Altus went down $93 for an E-6 w/dep.

I think what he's saying is his BAH at Clovis will be $300 less than his current BAH while a similar house in Clovis will run $500 more than what he's currently paying. So a net loss of $800? That sucks!

Affirm.

At least we have a few months until the move so we're thinking we'll build. It will actually be cheaper than buying one of the inflated established properties.

Defense.gov release

Department of Defense Releases 2011 BAH Rates

The Department of Defense released today the 2011 Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates, which take effect Jan. 1, 2011. While overall rates will decrease an average of 0.59 percent, because of the individual rate protection provision, the average change service members will see is a 1.1 percent increase.

Individual rate protection ensures that individual members already assigned to a given location will not see their BAH rate decrease, though they will receive the increase if the rate goes up. This assures that members who have made long-term commitments in the form of a lease or contract are not penalized if the area’s housing costs decrease. Any decreases only apply to members newly reporting to a location.

A typical junior enlisted member with dependents will find his/her BAH about $39 per month higher than last year, while a senior non-commissioned officer with dependents will receive about the same amount as last year.

Three components are included in the BAH computation: median current market rent; average utilities (including electricity, heat, and water/sewer) and average renter’s insurance.

Total housing costs are calculated for six housing profiles (based on dwelling type and number of bedrooms) in each military housing area. BAH rates are then calculated for each pay grade, both with and without dependents. An estimated $19 billion will be paid to over 1 million service members in 2011.

For more information on BAH, visit https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bah.cfm.

Disregard....should have read the next paragragh before posting! :banghead:

Edited by SocialD

Sucks man. The 2011 rate for O-3 is now $3 lower than the 2009 rate for O-2. So in two years time your bump from an increase in rank is wiped out.

I think I know the answer but just to check...you continue to get BAH rates from the year you got on station (if rates are decreasing) even after moving up in rank, correct? So for instance I got to my base in 2009 so I would get the 2009 rate for my new rank rather than the 2011 rate, which would be a net loss of money since they've gone down so much in 2 years. Just checking...

Guest Crew Report

Sucks man. The 2011 rate for O-3 is now $3 lower than the 2009 rate for O-2. So in two years time your bump from an increase in rank is wiped out.

I think I know the answer but just to check...you continue to get BAH rates from the year you got on station (if rates are decreasing) even after moving up in rank, correct? So for instance I got to my base in 2009 so I would get the 2009 rate for my new rank rather than the 2011 rate, which would be a net loss of money since they've gone down so much in 2 years. Just checking...

No, you continue to get the older/higher BAH rate until you have a change in status (promotion, marriage, etc). If you get promoted during 2011, you're getting the 2011 rate, not the 2010 rate.

No, you continue to get the older/higher BAH rate until you have a change in status (promotion, marriage, etc). If you get promoted during 2011, you're getting the 2011 rate, not the 2010 rate.

Well...sort of...he is in an odd situation and I think he could argue rate protection to the amount he is currently making. I don't see them taking money because you are promoted. He certainly will NOT get the 2010 rate for the next rank, but his BAH should not go down.

I really hope that's not the case. The current O-3 rate w/o dep is $1329 but the new rate is $1290.

Not sure why I should lose money just because I'm getting promoted. Not like my mortgage is going away...

I really hope that's not the case. The current O-3 rate w/o dep is $1329 but the new rate is $1290.

Not sure why I should lose money just because I'm getting promoted. Not like my mortgage is going away...

Well, your BAH is based off of multiple factors that are tied in with both the local housing market and the cost of living. The rate protection thing is pretty much a subsidy by the government to not screw people over previously living there. So, you're taking a loss because your promotion is triggering the 2011 rate, and are being paid accurately (according to gov't), instead of having your rate grandfathered in and subsidized.

As far as your mortgage. Well, that's the risk that comes with buying a home.

From the Defense Travel Management Office:

If I get promoted, do I get the "protected" BAH amount for my new pay grade?

No. If you are promoted, your BAH rate is the then-current published BAH for your new (higher) grade, with the following exception. If you get promoted, and are in a location where the current published BAH for your new grade is lower than the BAH amount you were receiving before, you continue to receive the higher BAH amount.

BAH for a Captain in Minot is actually going up by $174 and $114 for a Major, so we got that going for us.