PIQ vs CIQ vs PMQ

Guest JArcher00

PIQ is Pilot Initial Qual. You are trained in the left seat.

CIQ is Copilot Initial Qual. You are trained in the right seat.

PIQ is generally for prior qualified pilots. FAIPS, OSA guys, etc. Generally, all guys fresh out of UPT go through CIQ. However, The Rock is in transition and pretty soon, all new guys will be going through PIQ and AC qual will be done at your squadron. It looks like you're fresh out of Corpus, so I guess they already made the transition. December was the last I heard. Anyway, there isn't much difference between the two training approaches. One you finish the Rock, you'll still be gear-pigging it in the right seat with all of the other "naturally trained CPs".

Anyway, the difference between Initial Qual and Mission Qual is that you have two distinct phases of training. Initial qual is just learing the Herk. Systems, EPs, instrument flight, VFR work, all the day to day stuff. After you take your Qual checkride and become an FP or FC, you'll start phase two. Mission Qual is the mission training. Single ship low-level, Vis Formation low-level, SKE formation, airdrops, NVGs, assaults. After that, you're an MP or MC.

The thing to remember is that if you're a Horse, you'll complete the two phases seperately with two checkrides. If you're a Jody, you'll switch hit between Qual and Tac sorties and have only one long and painful checkride at the end. My advice, try to be a Horse. Life is much easier.

Any other questions, fire away!

HD

[ 10. November 2004, 01:05: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

Guest purplecaddis
Originally posted by HercDriver24:

Anyway, there isn't much difference between the two training approaches. One you finish the Rock, you'll still be gear-pigging it in the right seat with all of the other "naturally trained CPs".

HD

HD, not totally true. We have a new pilot (the term copilot is also suppose to disappear) going through the new training in the next feew weeks. When he comes back he will be qualified to fly in either seat. The practical mentality say that you will stay in the right seat for a majority of initial sorties, however there are left seat currency items.

I do not remember if there is a caveat on only flying left seat with an IP or not. I believe they will be able to fly in either seat with a qualified AC. We are currently working out a plan to allow the other traditionally trained CPs to catch up. I am a reservist and not in the training shop so I am not sure about the fine print in the details of the new program.

I will say this it is a good deal for the new CPs. It will make the transition to AC easier and in less time, i.e. not having to wait for a school date to open.

I have a question for others out there. At what point do you begin to allow your CPs to flying in the left seat with an instructor?

I'm not trying to start a Horse vs. Jody battle (aka 53rd AS vs 62d AS for non herk types), but the checkride setup HD was referring to definitely leans in favor of the "one checkride" approach. Much less time under the "gun" of an evaluator, and the setup is actually pretty smooth. Fly a low level, followed up by some instrument/pattern work for the right seaters and some assault work added for the left seaters, a very logical approach. Also, only one EP evaluation to suffer through. Definitely not painful from my experience. The one checkride approach is definitely big picture, but equally thorough.

Good post Carribean.

I tend to disagree. I think the two checkrides approach is better in that you get to focus on Qual first and then worry about Tac later. I think doing them seperately helps you bring out your A game. That's just me though.

HD

[ 12. November 2004, 04:23: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

Guest HueyPilot

Doesn't matter now. Both 53rd and 62nd have two checkrides.

As for the schoolhouse maladies, many rumors abound. I'm sure the folks at the wing (314th) are probably almost as clueless as I am. A rumor to do phase 3 at home station was squashed when home station training shops apparently said "hell no". I knew they were pretty busy anyways, plus E-model units are in a worse spot than the schoolhouse.

I really don't know what they will do if they start flying E-models to the boneyard. There really isn't any plan in place other than extending our grad dates out to infinity and beyond.

I personally was hoping for the one checkride. I don't care for EPEs. Depending on who you get, it could be hell or not.