Contact  |  Baseops Wiki  |  Military Pay  |  Military Discounts  |  Air  Force UPT  |  Aviation  Jobs   |  Aviation  Medicine   |  Pilot Supplies  |  Donate

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Funding a Private Pilots License (PPL)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wits End

Wits End

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

Looking to find a ways to fund a PPL, grants, financial aid, loans, etc.
I'm aware that the GI Bill will refund up to 60% of all certifications AFTER a PPL but the first 5 or 6 grand is still hard to come by. Thanks for any help.
Never Give Up!- W.Churchill

#2 discus

discus

Gray Beard

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Looking to find a ways to fund a PPL, grants, financial aid, loans, etc.
I'm aware that the GI Bill will refund up to 60% of all certifications AFTER a PPL but the first 5 or 6 grand is still hard to come by. Thanks for any help.

Of course there is WORKING for your money, which I know is an absolute last option in today's America. I washed a lot of airplanes to fund my PPL when I was a teenager. Another good option I found if you have Mechanical skilzzzz is to apprentice with the local A&P, that way you are both learning about the airplanes you will be flying as well as making money TO fly.

#3 theat6bisasham

theat6bisasham

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Of course there is WORKING for your money, which I know is an absolute last option in today's America. I washed a lot of airplanes to fund my PPL when I was a teenager. Another good option I found if you have Mechanical skilzzzz is to apprentice with the local A&P, that way you are both learning about the airplanes you will be flying as well as making money TO fly.

Yea, other than working for the money - you could just do what alot of us did, including me.

Let someone else pay for it in exchange for work - i.e. sign a 10 year commitment to big blue and let them pay for it. I never bought a single hour. lol

#4 Shiner

Shiner

SNAP

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

If you're on AD, rumor is that next year TA will start covering flight time/classes toward FAA ratings - including PPL. That's what the Aero Club here is saying at least.

#5 Wits End

Wits End

Crew Dawg

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Of course there is WORKING for your money, which I know is an absolute last option in today's America.

FYI I work for a living, Mommy and Daddy dont pay my rent,car note, or anything else involved with day to day living. :beer:

LOL maybe I can hit THEM up for Flying lessons.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check into the work release program haha
Never Give Up!- W.Churchill

#6 Marco

Marco

Flight Lead

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Creating J-O-B's for Veterans, flying, other fun stuff

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

I talked to my education office last week about this. I was told that they are waiting for the blessing from above to proceed. Expect more info towards the end of January/beginning of February.

edit:grammarcuzI'madumbass.

Edited by Marco, 13 December 2010 - 06:40 AM.

Insert witty comment here.

#7 Stitch

Stitch

Flight Lead

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

I talked to my education office last week about this. I was told that they are waiting for the blessing from above to proceed. Expect more info towards the end of January/beginning of February.

edit:grammarcuzI'madumbass.

FVCK! It figures those d-bags would wait till after I retired to do this.

Somebitches.

Good deal for the young dudes/gals though.
We fly in the weeds, throw stuff out the back, drink, cuss, and socialize with women of ill repute. What's not to love?

#8 nrodgsxr

nrodgsxr

Flight Lead

• Supreme User
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

If you're on AD, rumor is that next year TA will start covering flight time/classes toward FAA ratings - including PPL. That's what the Aero Club here is saying at least.

sweet I'll have something to put TA towards now that i'm giving up on my masters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users