Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

A similar write up, different spin:

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123314471

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the order in which he addressed standards and the mission.

Another way to look at it is if officers/leadership/supervisors/flight CC/Sq CC are willing to make the hard call and discipline the enlisted airmen when needed, perhaps they would think twice before making boneheaded decisions that led to the MTI sex scandal, class photo with the casket, breastfeeding your babies in uniform, and etc.

Too many times I've seen smart but arrogant young airmen/NCOs get away bull shit only to see the CC and the SNCOs finding excuses for their inappropriate behaviors and afraid to levy punishment. Guess what? They are going to carry that attitude with them as they progress in rank, poison the rest of the enlisted force, do stupid crap instead of focusing on their job/mission. There are a plenty of enlisted good dudes and dudettes, but the d-bags outnumber them. Oh yeah, this applies to punk LTs as well.

Leaders shouldn't be afraid to call their subordinates out (not talking about the obscure AFI bull shit) for being a dumbass, this is how you learn and grow as an airman and a person. The subordinates will thank you 10 years later.

I hope this is what Gen Welsh meant.

Edited by YJ619

• 4 weeks later...

I caught about half of it, very elegant. The man clearly cares. That said, it was obvious that he cares about things that may derail our ability to meet our basic requirements as a service, i.e. budget, readiness, quality of airmen etc. I would put Blues-Monday, for example, at number 1 on his top 10 list of things he probably doesn't give 2 shits about, especially when most of us still get to wear f'ing pajamas to work Tues-Fri. Some complaining from a few airmen about having to dress up one day a week probably doesn't even register on his radar right now. Furthermore, he obviously takes great pride in the privilege to wear the Air Force uniform, flight suit or otherwise, something which a lot of us readily take for granted after a few years. Is he out to make our service better for you and me? Absolutely, but it sounds like he has a different set of criteria by which he will measure improvement. Maybe when/if he succeeds in un-assing our budget he'll take a look a some of the more trivial issues that grate on the force.

(unless he addressed any of this stuff in the first half, which I missed. In that case disregard all).

• Upvote 4

I caught about half of it, very elegant. The man clearly cares. That said, it was obvious that he cares about things that may derail our ability to meet our basic requirements as a service, i.e. budget, readiness, quality of airmen etc. I would put Blues-Monday, for example, at number 1 on his top 10 list of things he probably doesn't give 2 shits about, especially when most of us still get to wear f'ing pajamas to work Tues-Fri. Some complaining from a few airmen about having to dress up one day a week probably doesn't even register on his radar right now. Furthermore, he obviously takes great pride in the privilege to wear the Air Force uniform, flight suit or otherwise, something which a lot of us readily take for granted after a few years. Is he out to make our service better for you and me? Absolutely, but it sounds like he has a different set of criteria by which he will measure improvement. Maybe when/if he succeeds in un-assing our budget he'll take a look a some of the more trivial issues that grate on the force. (unless he addressed any of this stuff in the first half, which I missed. In that case disregard all).

Abolishing Blues Monday wouldn't interfere with his busy schedule. Typing and sending that email would take all of 20 seconds. Symbols matter. My generation of pilots is waiting for a signal that the next few years won't be a constant downward spiral like the last few have been. This could be it. Pilot morale matters, see the ACP thread for what happens when it slides. Also, not taking Blues on TDYs would save a few million on excess baggage fees, just throwing that out there. So there's your "un-assing our budget".

My guess is he is waiting to present his changes to the four stars at Corona which is right around the corner. I don't have inside baseball, but I would guess he is giving them a run down of his proposed changes and he will likely zap some of the low hanging fruit...which are easy kills. My opinion only.

My guess is he is waiting to present his changes to the four stars at Corona which is right around the corner. I don't have inside baseball, but I would guess he is giving them a run down of his proposed changes and he will likely zap some of the low hanging fruit...which are easy kills. My opinion only.

I had not considered that. I'll hold my grumbling in abeyance until Corona is complete.

I've watched a few of his recent speeches: seems to me he's trying VERY hard (sts) to instill some individual/institutional pride by highlighting some of our outstanding people and the work they do.

So, if we swell our chests with pride, and begin to feel really good about our service...the cynic in me asks: what's the shit-sandwich he's about to ask us to eat?

I think what we are seeing is something his predecessor did not do (and is the mark of a good leader)-- he is OBSERVING before actually changing a damn thing. The worst leaders are the guys who immediately get into a new job and start changing things around.

2 on this and it is probably not (however easy the targets) a great idea in the political realm of that position to Day 1 undo the some of the most memorable policies of the previous commander.

2 on this and it is probably not (however easy the targets) a great idea in the political realm of that position to Day 1 undo the some of the most memorable policies of the previous commander.

That depends entirely on whose opinion you give a shit about. He should have abolished Blues Monday in his speech right after taking the guidon. He should have ripped off that hideous drum-major uniform like Hulk Hogan shredding a yellow tank top to display the flightsuit beneath. THAT would have been leadership.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure that he isn't saying or doing anything different than previous CSAFs, but he always manages to come across as sincere...which is something the majority of leaders these days fail to do. I for one am glad he is in charge.

Welsh honors two Airmen from AFMAO

by Lt. Col. Kevin McAndrews

Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations Public Affairs

10/3/2012 - FORT WASHINGTON, Md. (AFNS) -- Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III recognized two team members from Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations during a recent speech at the annual Air Force Association Air and Space Conference and Technology Exposition in Washington, D.C.

Master Sgt. Antoinette Worthey and Senior Airman Shemiel A. Christopher each received standing ovations and Air Force chief of staff coins for the jobs they do at AFMAO day in and day out.

Welsh said he and his wife, Betty, toured AFMAO in August shortly after he became the 20th Air Force chief of staff. He was so impressed with what he saw that he wanted to recognize Worthey and Christopher for the incredible work they perform.

Welsh said he had visited Dover Air Force Base, Del., for dignified transfers before becoming the chief of staff but had never toured AFMAO to meet the personnel who work there.

"And so I went to meet them," he said. "I had heard they were great, but I had no idea how great they were."

Worthey, the noncommissioned officer of Dress and Restoration, briefed Welsh during his visit to AFMAO. She explained that her team's job is to wrap the remains that require it and to then dress the fallen before they are returned to their loved ones.

"You deserve this," Welsh said to Worthey.

Worthey has deployed 10 times to the mortuary and worked several mass fatality cases in addition to taking care of the service members who died in the USS Cole incident and Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom.

Welsh told the audience Worthey's job and the job of the Dress and Restoration team is to make sure the uniforms are perfect before they leave and for the remains -- if they can't wear a uniform -- be perfectly wrapped.

The general asked the audience, "Can you imagine doing this on 10 deployments?"

Worthey's section once had the remains of a fallen service member who could not wear a uniform, the chief of staff told the audience. To wrap remains of this type, the team uses multiple layers. In between each layer is identification, so if anything ever happens during the shipment, the remains can always be identified. Typically, dog tags are used.

"As they finalized the preparations for this fallen hero to head home," he continued, "they found out that he'd been promoted posthumously. Now, nobody ever unwraps the body. No one will ever see the remains after they leave the mortuary. But Sergeant Worthey and the team unwrapped every layer, reprinted new dog tags and reinserted them with the proper rank just because that's the way it should be."

Welsh said the work at AFMAO is technically and emotionally difficult. Worthey leads her team with pride and professionalism because she believes this critical job must be done right.

"This is just a special, special person and a remarkable senior NCO, and I wanted to have the chance to say thanks," Welsh said.

Worthey, who lives in Dover, is assigned to the 512th Memorial Affairs Squadron, an Air Force Reserve unit.

"I learned about this unique mission at Dover through a next door neighbor who was assigned to the 436th Services Squadron," said Worthey. "It was then that I decided I wanted to be a part of this rewarding mission."

With little time to waste before reaching the reservist age requirement, she enlisted before reaching age 35. She had that birthday during basic training.

"It was my worst birthday ever," she said. "Since then, I've had a gratifying career providing dignity, honor and respect for our fallen and their families. In my 15 years of service, the mission at AFMAO is by far the most meaningful thing that I have done."

I think what we are seeing is something his predecessor did not do (and is the mark of a good leader)-- he is OBSERVING before actually changing a damn thing. The worst leaders are the guys who immediately get into a new job and start changing things around.

I agree with this statement but also think it depends on what the leader is changing. We had an OG/CC at my previous unit who was relieved for being a terrible leader. Our new CC changed every shitty thing the leader did almost immediately.

It is very different when you are the CSAF for sure. I just hope he gets a camouflage pattern that works well and is actually comfortable to wear. I hope he contracts under armor for new PT gear that doesn't suck. I have high hopes for Gen Welsh and I wish him the best during his tenure. He isn't a terrible leader which is good for all of us.

Knowledge operations personnel...catchy.

That's the flavor of the month year. Perhaps we can just change it back to personnelist at some point. That, or SharePoint monkey.

I'm trying to explain to all the Amn/Lt's that have only been in since they got rid of 'em (circa 2007 I think) how big a deal this is. None of them think it's a good idea, or important. I suppose the problem is on my end with all the joyful screaming.

• 2 months later...

Thought this was interesting from the CSAF latest letter:

"In a couple of weeks, I’ll send you a CSAF Vector for 2013. In it, I’ll let you know where I think we’re headed in some key areas and also lay out a few things I think I owe you over the next year. Things like what the AF values for promotion (hint--the list starts with Job Performance!); my thoughts on performance reports and any required adjustments; etc."

AADs masked for Major's boards? Rated and Non-Rated promotions separated? Rooting for Welsh to un-fuck this organization...

• Upvote 1

Masking the AAD doesn't do shit. Next guy will come in and unmask it. Ask the last batch of guys that got caught in that game of musical chairs how it went for them.

I thought it was a great message though and I am interested to see what comes out of it.

Masking the AAD doesn't do shit. Next guy will come in and unmask it.

Masking it at the board ≠ masking it at your SQ / OG / WG level. Depending on your local leadership, your strat/DP on your PRF can/will still be effected by your AAD completion. I agree that masking it at the board level might be a step in the right direction, but the WG/CC will still have to find a way to stratify dudes before PRFs leave the base.

Given the projected pilot shortage, I really like the idea mentioned above of having separate rated/non rated promotion boards. Might not work so well for selection to O-5/O-6, but it's DEFINITELY a way to improve the Capt/Maj promotion process.

Wilco, M2:

I contend that Gen Welsh needs to re-invigorate the "up-or-out" career path as the best for the USAF (NOT the friendliest for the individual). That he should do so by clearly establishing what the he, and thereby, the USAF believes is important for officer development, and rewarding such accomplishments by higher promotion rates for folks who accomplish those things. This ensures we have a steady stream of willing folks to take on the Air Force's toughest peacetime jobs. And it means those folks who find doing those things at odds with their desires should have a way to honorably exit post-ADSC, without breaking mission capability.

So how do you create a sustainable active-duty system that rewards job performance and the 6-9 other factors he's bound to talk about? Should we tie that to increased pay and responsibility? How do you look a young 2Lt at UPT and explain that flying jets is cool, but he signed up to be an officer first, and after 6-9 years of flying, he'll be on staff/school/staff assignment rotation, if he's deemed "good", or he'll be asked to exit by getting passed over for promotion? Either way, he's not flying on active duty.

Perhaps the current our org structure and C2 methods are to blame: that we need so many guys on staff with flying experience. Look at any MAJCOM or the HAF: where are the "sharp" guys now? A3/5/8 and the Joint/COCOM Staffs and the AFFORs and AOCs. That's tough work, and 96.9% of those jobs are non-flying gigs. How do we motivate those guys to want to do that work?

We're all hopeful that Gen Welsh has some answers to balance personal desires and career goals and service requirements. I supppose the best place to start is "service requirements." We have long training pipelines, and limited training capability. 8 and 10 yr commitments mean we need a continuous influx of new guys in all MWSs to replenish those we send to school, staff, Palace Chase, civilian life and even the a-word. How would a Brit/Canadian system work with our current rated staff manning bill?

What say you? Are these things even important to discuss? Or should we just cut TIB and call it good?