Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

We could have all the platinum-plated toys in the world, but if we don't have people who are trained, motivated, and supported well to operate those toys we are doomed. Conversely, highly motivated, trained, and supported airmen can do wonders even with only average equipment.

Shack. I'm constantly struck by people who forget the human element and continuously double down on the idea that if we just get the right equipment everything else will be successful. Philosophically it's akin to the E-8 who thinks enforcing uniform standards is corollary to mission success. The AF love affair with technology is closer to religious zealotry than military strategy. I could do succssful ISR with binoculars, strike with hand grenades or airdrop with a a sectional (while VFR!) and so could anyone who is a reasonably competent aviator filled with a burning desire to win. The great AF fail, which this author can't see, is the total mismanagement of and inability to identify the handful of people in every career who passionately want to win.

I love my gadgetry, but it reaches a point where the time spent troubleshooting exceeds the time saved. At that point, it takes leadership and experience and drive to win the fight regardless. The AF continues to attract people who are capable of exactly that, I work with them and have been fighting with them for a decade. Unfortunately over time the system rewards the risk adverse and administratively minded instead of the warrior. I don't know how to change it, but i know it can be changed.

• Upvote 1

IThe Air Force is great at doing, say, 5 missions expertly. But spread it out to 50 different mission and it's all just a doing a bunch of stuff in a mediocre fashion. For example, the failures of the nuclear mission. Or the ridiculous way we went about throwing our weight around in cyberwarfare. Or how we completely half-assed standing up the UAV/ISR mission. Or how our air defense mission is being held together with cardboard and duct tape. Or failing the "train and equip" mission by cutting hours and training. The institutional biases of the USAF have eroded our credibility not only with the other services, but with our civilian leadership, too. Hell, we actually had a service chief and secretary get fired because they had such a hard-on for the F-22, that they honestly thought they could influence national defense policy through borderline insubordination. The USAF has consistently failed at the "maintain an adequate fighting force" mission with its personnel failures for the past 10 years. It's rather telling that most people seem to be worried about getting force shaped, rather than focusing on how they can best deal with our enemies and focus on foreign threats.

There has never been a stronger argument than there is today that the Air Force is becoming incapable of running itself, and should be sent back to the Department of the Army.

Or how our air defense mission is being held together with cardboard and duct tape....Hell, we actually had a service chief and secretary get fired because they had such a hard-on for the F-22, that they honestly thought they could influence national defense policy through borderline insubordination.

I'm confused. Which is it?

Did USAF leadership let our core missions rot or did they fall on their swords trying not to let our core missions rot? Did they not go "all in" to mission expansions like insatiable ISR CAPs due to incompetence or did they fight the good fight and try to expand in a more measured, sustainable way without gutting core missions?

• Upvote 1

After having the privilege and dumb luck to speak with Gen Welsh & Gen Gorenc for 45 minutes last summer in a C-130J cockpit along with a patch-wearing Major, I don't think Gen Welsh will eliminate the requirement to get a Master's degree...only postpone its timing-"requirement" to after an individual's Major promotion board at most. Unless his thinking has changed.....

I voiced my concern as a line flying Captain doing a Master's, getting/staying CMR, etc; also expressed concern with crewdawgs being RA's as well as other crewdawgs being in positions that require continuous continuity (ex. fill in the ____)

The scary part is if AAD is masked on the Major promotion board, what will take its place? Ancillary duties? Christmas party planning = strat?

ADD: Gen Welsh impressed me with his sincere interest for my concerns/problems. He was the only senior leader I've spoken to who seemed to give a $hit to what litte-ole'-me had to say.

"People who have dealt with the incoming chief say he is a natural leader who thinks clearly and has exceptional interpersonal skills." #agree

Edited by Swizzle

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123313367

CSAF's last day at the Pentagon was yesterday (a Wednesday) according to the article--notice how everyone is in their blues. Blues have been UOD from M-Th for quite a while now IIRC. Curious to see if this standard is changed following Gen Welsh's appointment ceremony...

Well, it's the first day for command for General Welsh as the new CoS. What are the wishes of you daring young junior aviators? No more power point presentations, no PME, and no silly Master degree requirement just let me fly and go home. If extra duties do not specificially pertain to flying, it's not my concern, I'm just a Commissioned Officer. By the way, my flight pay should be more than my base pay. One last biggie, no layoffs due to being a non select? We'll see if your dreams come true. But don't hold your breath, business as usual. The airlines await you and the AF will survive with or without you.

Blues Monday and morale patches/Friday shirts: Two easy fixes that would be a huge morale boost. If he just did that, people would be ecstatic. It's the little things..

I think we're overvaluing the minutiae a little bit. I'm all for morale T-shirts and patches, and Friday afternoons in the bar. But before I lost my mind over those things, I'd like to see a long-term plan to sustain 11F, a better plan for AAD's (send to school for a year), and direct NCO's to enforce appropriate officer/enlisted interaction.

I think we're overvaluing the minutiae a little bit...

Shack. Granted, blues Mondays never got to me because no one ever really followed it where I was at. I'm all for a few quick fixes but there are some pretty serious cultural and policy issues right now that would really make a difference:

- 11F shortage

- KC-X and F-X procurement buffoonery

- Corporate culture where enslisted treat officers like work buddies (starts at the top - the last graduation I was at the introduction included the wing command chief being introduced before the O-6 Group CCs. Seriously an E-9 given props over a Colonel, that shit trickles down...which is why TSgts feel they can callout field graders which I have seen first-hand)

- Promotion system that rewards square-filling above all else (the problem is bigger than AADs, if they disappear some other queep will replace it)

- How we spend money on BS we don't need for fear that it will "disappear" if we don't - too big of a monster for anyone to take on, but he'd be my hero if he did

If he could tackle any two of the above during his tenure I'd call it a success. I'm not holding my breath. That being said, best of luck to the man.

Well, it's the first day for command for General Welsh as the new CoS. What are the wishes of you daring young junior aviators? No more power point presentations, no PME, and no silly Master degree requirement just let me fly and go home. If extra duties do not specificially pertain to flying, it's not my concern, I'm just a Commissioned Officer. By the way, my flight pay should be more than my base pay. One last biggie, no layoffs due to being a non select? We'll see if your dreams come true. But don't hold your breath, business as usual. The airlines await you and the AF will survive with or without you.

I would guess that most people would like one simple thing, focus on what really matters...the mission!

Not a bad letter at all.

To the Airmen of the United States Air Force

Earlier today, I was sworn in as the 20th Chief of Staff of our Air Force. It was a pretty humbling experience. Since I haven’t met most of you, I thought my first move as CSAF should be to say hi. You’ll probably get tired of hearing me say that “every Airman has a story,” but it’s true, and I’m no different.

My story starts with family. My dad, who was the greatest patriot, officer, and leader I’ve ever known, taught me that no rank or title would ever be as important as the unit patch I wore. Today, I wear the Air Force patch, and my family has grown to 690,000 active, Guard, Reserve, and civilian Airmen, all serving as part of an unbeatable Joint team.

YOU are what makes our Air Force the best the world has ever known!

Thank you for your service, your sacrifice, your dedication and commitment. Most of all, thank you for the privilege of serving beside you and your families. Betty and I are so honored to represent you and will do everything in our power to do it in a way that makes you proud.

From Tooey Spaatz’s drive and vision in 1947, to General Norty Schwartz’s steady hand and thoughtful leadership over the past four years, our Air Force has benefited from strong Chiefs of Staff throughout its rich heritage. I wish I could tell you I bring the same IQ and talent level to the job as they did, but that would be a stretch. So I just promise you I’ll do my very best, every day, every task…just like you do.

You need to know that I care about each of you, your mission, your training, your equipment, your professional development, your career, and your family. My job is to prove it to you.

I’ll get back to you after I’ve had a chance to sit down with Secretary Donley and benefit from his wise counsel. I’ll let you know what my focus areas will be and where I think we’re headed. In the meantime, you take care of the “Fly, Fight, and Win” part…and I’ll ensure that “Integrity, Service, and Excellence” aren’t just buzz words I use in speeches.

2_clip_image002.jpg?Security=3

MARK A. WELSH, III

General, USAF

20th Chief of Staff

• Upvote 2

His letter was very well written and for the firs time in a decade I'm excited about the AF's future.

While I don't get friday shirts/patches/Sq bars, hopefully he'll let us Support guys have back some of our morale items as well.

Or.. he'll just give us all flight suits!

--ducks--

A solid leader steps up to the plate and all we care about is what uniform are we going to wear?

To bring back a previous point...Remember, we've been told by the micro managers all this time that the little things matter, as they determine if we can accomplish the big things. We'll start with uniforms, boots, patches, and t-shirts...the ORIs, flying proficiency, the mission should take care of themselves.

Enough with the talk...let's test the "focus on the little things" approach....I've heard too many Chiefs push it to not want to try it.

Editorial note: While my post is dripping with sarcasm, I believe there is a little truth that fixing the small things can help with the big things. It is called boosting morale and it only works when the changes you make actually do just that. The way 'the shoes' were focusing on the small things is they were taking away the 'small' morale boosters and enforcing them in a punitive manner. I know there are bigger, more important things on which to focus, but morale is just as important. All those high-tech toys are great, but if your people aren't motivated to use them, they are less effective. I think that is a concept that previous leadership had underestimated...he managed people like 'expendable resources' as opposed to 'people.' At least act like you care about your people and they will perform. It means speaking with sincerity and not just reading a scripted, public-affairs-produced talking paper. The good thing about Gen Welsh is there is no doubt he cares about people, you see it in the way he interacts daily with his people...and I got that same impression when I met him 14 years ago too. He'll probably have to make cuts as well, but I believe he'll be clear, up front, and honest about it. There will be no secrets. While i don't agree with everything Gen Schwartz did, I'm not going to take away from his service to this country. He really is a brilliant man...i just look at him more as a resource manager charged with fixing our resource (mis)prioritization over the past few years. I know not everyone is a great speaker, but listening to his monotoned, scripted speeches did little to motivate me.

Gen Welsh on the other hand is a dynamic speaker. You can tell he speaks from the heart both in public and on a one on one basis. If you've interacted with him, you know what I'm talking about. I see him as charged with re-energizing our morale at a time when budget cuts are going to continue to force us to make tough decisions...personnel and benefits decisions that could potentially hurt morale. We really haven't yet seen the worst of the proposed cuts...hopefully we won't have to go there. Boosting morale will be more important now than ever before. He is the right person at the right time for our Air Force. Congrats Gen Welsh...I see good things in our future.

To bring back a previous point...Remember, we've been told by the micro managers all this time that the little things matter, as they determine if we can accomplish the big things. We'll start with uniforms, boots, patches, and t-shirts...the ORIs, flying proficiency, the mission should take care of themselves.

Enough with the talk...let's test the "focus on the little things" approach....I've heard too many Chiefs push it to not want to try it.

Editorial note: While my post is dripping with sarcasm, I believe there is a little truth that fixing the small things can help with the big things. It is called boosting morale and it only works when the changes you make actually do just that. The way 'the shoes' were focusing on the small things is they were taking away the 'small' morale boosters and enforcing them in a punitive manner. I know there are bigger, more important things on which to focus, but morale is just as important. All those high-tech toys are great, but if your people aren't motivated to use them, they are less effective. I think that is a concept that previous leadership had underestimated...he managed people like 'expendable resources' as opposed to 'people.' At least act like you care about your people and they will perform. It means speaking with sincerity and not just reading a scripted, public-affairs-produced talking paper. The good thing about Gen Welsh is there is no doubt he cares about people, you see it in the way he interacts daily with his people...and I got that same impression when I met him 14 years ago too. He'll probably have to make cuts as well, but I believe he'll be clear, up front, and honest about it. There will be no secrets. While i don't agree with everything Gen Schwartz did, I'm not going to take away from his service to this country. He really is a brilliant man...i just look at him more as a resource manager charged with fixing our resource (mis)prioritization over the past few years. I know not everyone is a great speaker, but listening to his monotoned, scripted speeches did little to motivate me.

Gen Welsh on the other hand is a dynamic speaker. You can tell he speaks from the heart both in public and on a one on one basis. If you've interacted with him, you know what I'm talking about. I see him as charged with re-energizing our morale at a time when budget cuts are going to continue to force us to make tough decisions...personnel and benefits decisions that could potentially hurt morale. We really haven't yet seen the worst of the proposed cuts...hopefully we won't have to go there. Boosting morale will be more important now than ever before. He is the right person at the right time for our Air Force. Congrats Gen Welsh...I see good things in our future.

This one really isn't that hard. Keep in the people who want to stay, let go the people who want to leave. There are plenty in the latter category. Whatever you do, once the decision is made, let people know in clear unambiguous language what that decision is. Instead of hiding one sentence in an article nobody read.

I understand that alot of the nonsense is budget driven, but bringing back morale patches and abolishing Blue Monday are $0 fixes.

Didn't know that Gen. Welsh was a Flanker killer back in the day...http://youtu.be/3aw2navqGDk

Seriously though, I had never heard of him until our AS100 professor made us watch his most recent USAFA speech during class. You could hear a pin drop after the video was over. I'm really looking forward to seeing what changes he implements because the atmosphere/policies he establishes now will be what my ROTC class has to work under upon commissioning in a few years.

Seriously though, I had never heard of him until our AS100 professor made us watch his most recent USAFA speech during class. You could hear a pin drop after the video was over.

you should go find his USAFA speech from when he was Commandant. He's wearing a flight suit in that one (for vis recce of the right videos).

Edited by stract

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/08/air-force-new-chief-mark-welsh-to-ncos-instill-pride-in-airmen-081512/

"Welsh shunned policy and budget talk – admitting he’s still getting up to speed — in favor of outlining his expectations for NCOs, drawing equal amounts of chuckles and applause. Those expectations included being “real” NCOs who stand up for what they believe in, are not afraid to care for their airmen and show it, and are never afraid to lead."

“People plus pride equals performance,” Welsh said. “Performance is our bottom line. There is no other bottom line in this business. Nobody is going to care how well we treated our people if we lose the next war.”

Granted it's from a rag, but it seemed interesting and pertinent. Thoughts? First thing I remember from Schwartz was Blues Monday. Will this be the first thing we remember Welsh for; Telling NCO's to lead Amn?

A similar write up, different spin:

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123314471

"People are going to criticize you if you're the one stepping up, making the calls, enforcing discipline, making sure people meet standards and making sure the mission gets done," he said. "Deal with it. Make the tough decisions. Make the hard calls. Make your NCOs make the hard calls, and make your Airmen make the hard calls."

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the order in which he addressed standards and the mission.

A similar write up, different spin:

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123314471

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the order in which he addressed standards and the mission.

Hey, maybe stepping up and making the hard call is knowing which standards are superfluous and which are legit. Then his priorities are A-OK!

Edit to say:

I think this quote is much more important.

"You've got to learn the stories," the general said. "If you don't know the stories, you can't lead the Airmen. It's really that simple. Resiliency days, wingman days and big training events are all important, but they're not fixing it.
Edited by Apollo