Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

This was the first step but I don't ever remember seeing a policy memo from him. Everything below is out of a Chiefs Sight Picture document from 2002 and 2005. Certainly, it drove the A1 memo. Although his policy, the A1 signed it and that is one of the reasons that I would posit that it never took. Nevermind the fact that Gen Moseley overturned the policy shortly after being confirmed as CSAF. Either way, Switzer has it right in his paper and Gen Welsh is moving the ball down the field.
Quote below out of a paper in Air Power Journal. full; text here: http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/2011/2011-4/2011_4_07_switzer.pdf
"In 2005 Gen John P. Jumper, chief of staff of the Air Force, wrote a letter to all members of the service describing a significant change in promotion procedures and the Air Force’s treatment of education. Specifically, he directed the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) to mask officer education data on promotion boards through the rank of colonel, making it available only for brigadier general and above. By doing so, General Jumper intended to stop officers from pursuing AADs for the sole purpose of increasing their chances for promotion, also known as “square-filling” or “checking the box.” Although he acknowledged the value and importance of educa­tion to the Air Force and its officer corps, the general believed that the pursuit of AADs should be deliberate and focused. An earlier letter of General Jumper’s, written in 2002 regarding force development, foreshadowed his education policy. In that letter, he echoed the criticism of the status quo regarding education opportunities: “I know that a lot of you feel there are many reasons to be discouraged or dissatisfied with our current system—limited PME in-residence slots, limited advanced degree opportunities, or worse, square-filling master’s degree programs that do little to make you better at your job or get you closer to your goals. I have experienced some of these issues myself and I hear the same feedback from you. So let’s fix it.”
Edit: Link to the CSAF sight pictures. http://www.au.af.mil/au/aul/menu_jump.htm
Edited by Herk Driver

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-the-army-should-fire-some-generals-and-promote-some-captains/2014/02/21/7921a234-9802-11e3-afce-3e7c922ef31e_story.html

Interesting article written by a former Army Captain. I think John Q. Public linked to it somewhere as well. Won't ever happen, but it's an intriguing idea.

Some of his ideas are misplaced. He talks about the inability of he old corps to adapt to the Coin fight. What he doesn't talk about is he generation of "middle managers" we have raised in TOCs around he AO who only operate in an environment of informational saturation and risk aversion via the tactical directive of the week. Think about how many times you've walked into a TOC that looked like a best buy or flown around with a units as small as squads putting up their own UAVs to get eyes on exactly what you described via voice. How many commanders want your rover code the second you check in?

Those commanders have no preparation for a real fight. The fight against a peer or near peer force not clubbing seals like we have for the last decade where more thought is put on things like ROE arm chair quarter backing and asking crews to think is engaging the enemy "worth it." Those kinds of officers have found themselves embarrassingly behind the power curve as we switch our training and Eval process back to pre 9-11 focus.

So no it's not time to just fire all he old guys. Most of those old guys have good stuff to bang into the heads of all he O3-O4 guys they will be in charge when they leave.

• Upvote 1

Were those degrees actually pertinent to his career field as an engineer, and did what he learned in those programs make the AF and/or his community better?

If so, I've got no beef.

ONE masters that relates to your job is a good thing. Three gratis masters degrees, and what is basically have of one's career spent exclusively in school, is a joke.

I'm just an E but don't officers receive a Master of Strategic Studies from the AWC?

Aaah, but there's the rub. To get sent to AWC you will undoubtedly need a Master's degree to make the cut.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wish there was a definitive answer as to whether or not AAD will be masked for 2005 yr group Major’s board in Dec. This may sound lazy, but I started mine back in 2008 and have one class to go, but it’s a real SOB class that I’d rather not take. Degree won’t do anything for civilian employment. I’m a prime example of checking the box on this one and even though I’m so close, I just don’t care enough anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Word on the street is Welsh was behind getting the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" sign back where it belongs. It's refreshing among all the bullshit I can't even begin to imagine he wades through on a daily basis, he still fixes "small" stuff like this that really has a lot of impact behind it. Hopefully another Skelator doesn't come along and ruin it all over again.

Word on the street is Welsh was behind getting the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" sign back where it belongs. It's refreshing among all the bullshit I can't even begin to imagine he wades through on a daily basis, he still fixes "small" stuff like this that really has a lot of impact behind it. Hopefully another Skelator doesn't come along and ruin it all over again.

I'd prefer if he spent his time unfucking VSP, TERA, RIF, and the nuclear enterprise.

• Upvote 2