Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

Big kudos to leadership recognizing the AFI mess currently...how many competing/supplementary regulations are we expected to reference to get the job done "correctly"? And when the AFIs disagree, we either stick our necks out and come up with a common sense solution and hope that it isn't second guessed at a later time or spend countless hours drafting MFRs to the understaffed MAJCOM--so the guys on staff can decide what's best for the guys flying the line/deploying everyday.

More authority needs to be given to the Squadron and Group COMMANDERS--allow them to actually lead their men and women in a way that makes sense.

JMTCs.

Actually, how can you go about getting a stupid AFI changed? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Maybe we should make it easier for operators/Airmen to report stupid AFIs. Also, if the AFI does have a good reason it might give someone a chance to explain why it's in place, so said operator/Airman doesn't decide to just ignore it and break something.

Actually, how can you go about getting a stupid AFI changed? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Maybe we should make it easier for operators/Airmen to report stupid AFIs. Also, if the AFI does have a good reason it might give someone a chance to explain why it's in place, so said operator/Airman doesn't decide to just ignore it and break something.

Start with the OPR, or find out who has waiver authority.

AF Form 847. It's on the cover page of every fucking AFI.

For example, AFI 36-2903:

Refer recommended changes and questions about this publication to Office of Primary Responsibility (OPR) using the AF Form 847, Recommendation for Change of Publication; route AF Form 847 to AFPC Publishing Office, 550 C Street West Suite 48, Randolph AFB Texas 78150-4750, or email afpc.publications@us.af.mil.

AFI 11-202V3:

Improvement Recommendations: Use AF Form 847, Recommendation for Change of Publication (Flight Publications), to recommend changes to this instruction IAW AFI 11-215, Flight Manuals Program (FMP).
  • Upvote 1

The CSAF reminds me of Gates in the way he says we should develop officers to use common sense, do what we feel is right, and be outside the box thinkers while providing zero actual real change or top cover from their office for the things they say.

It's like he has the right mindset, but lacks the balls to start cracking heads and making his words come true. Who the fuck is he afraid o f? He's the top guy! For example, the way he pussyfooted around with the Blues Monday crap. All he had to do was say "this rule is null and void starting now". Instead we have to wait for each individual MAJCOM to do it in a piecemeal way. Which is funny, because they certainly "enthusiastically supported" it with amazing quickness when Schwartz issued the memo.

This is directly because the type of people who say yes to anything from above and conform to the party line are promoted (PME/execs/aides), and the ones who don't tend to just languish at the squadron level forever, assuming they don't separate or are RIF'd.

The CSAF reminds me of Gates in the way he says we should develop officers to use common sense, do what we feel is right, and be outside the box thinkers while providing zero actual real change or top cover from their office for the things they say.

It's like he has the right mindset, but lacks the balls to start cracking heads and making his words come true. Who the fuck is he afraid o f? He's the top guy! For example, the way he pussyfooted around with the Blues Monday crap. All he had to do was say "this rule is null and void starting now". Instead we have to wait for each individual MAJCOM to do it in a piecemeal way. Which is funny, because they certainly "enthusiastically supported" it with amazing quickness when Schwartz issued the memo.

This is directly because the type of people who say yes to anything from above and conform to the party line are promoted (PME/execs/aides), and the ones who don't tend to just languish at the squadron level forever, assuming they don't separate or are RIF'd.

Maybe he was trying to let Commanders be Commanders instead of issuing an order with a one size fits all mentality.

• Upvote 1

But he gave a great speech at the academy this one time! He sent a letter out to USAFE fighter pilots! He's going to release a "vector"... eventually!

• Upvote 1

Bunch of haters...give the man a break. He's the best we've had in a long while.

I think that's where some of the grief is: the realization that even the very best our Air Force has to offer may not be able to right the ship.

• Upvote 5

Bunch of haters...give the man a break. He's the best we've had in a long while.

Asking tough questions of an organization that appears to be adrift does not make one a "hater". Not even sure what you mean by "give the man a break". Do you mean to say that we should lower our expectations for strong leadership to get us back on track (The current CSAF has 30+ years of service and is already 20% into his term as top dawg, assuming 4 years)? As an airman and as a taxpayer, I choose not to embrace a "feeling" of unfounded eternal optimism or worse, apathy.

You said, "He's the best we've had in a long while". Can you substantiate this? I can't (or haven't) really make the argument that he's been better or worse than any former CSAFs, and that's at the heart of my point here. I'm being completely honest, besides the historical politically correct witch hunt and the willy-nilly comments regarding blues Monday and nonsensical AFIs, I can't really name anything else (besides the usual, "you guys are all great", "we're really like a family", etc...). Again, and I'm being sincere here, can you please expand on this?

Just the fact that there's more communication directed at the AF from him is different.

Sure the vector is late in coming, but I'm sure he's just lounging around not doing anything. I mean, he is the CSAF he can do anything he wants immediately according to you guys.

Hell, it took Gen Hobbins awhile to unscrew Foglesong's nonsense. Combat Proud anyone?

Edited by 17D_guy

The guy is a politician. Pure and simple. Never trust politicians.

I hope he can save the ship. I really do. But for every 1 good General officer like Welsh, there are 50 spineless, O-6 to O-8 fucks that are happy the way things are..

• Upvote 2

Asking tough questions of an organization that appears to be adrift does not make one a "hater". Not even sure what you mean by "give the man a break". Do you mean to say that we should lower our expectations for strong leadership to get us back on track (The current CSAF has 30+ years of service and is already 20% into his term as top dawg, assuming 4 years)? As an airman and as a taxpayer, I choose not to embrace a "feeling" of unfounded eternal optimism or worse, apathy.

You said, "He's the best we've had in a long while". Can you substantiate this? I can't (or haven't) really make the argument that he's been better or worse than any former CSAFs, and that's at the heart of my point here. I'm being completely honest, besides the historical politically correct witch hunt and the willy-nilly comments regarding blues Monday and nonsensical AFIs, I can't really name anything else (besides the usual, "you guys are all great", "we're really like a family", etc...). Again, and I'm being sincere here, can you please expand on this?

I'm just saying that it takes time to un-fuck years of misplaced priorities. Throw in shit like budget sequestration, and it's going to take a while...longer than just a year. You can be critical all you want, but I would reserve judgement towards the 2nd half of a guy's term. I've had the pleasure of meeting & talking with Gen Welsh a couple times since he's taken office, and can say he has the pulse of the people...more so than previous. Is he a miracle worker that can change EVERYTHING for the better in a year, or four? Probably not, but he'll steer the ship towards the right direction.

The CSAF will & always will be part politician...just the nature of the job.

This last part quoted for truth--to an even greater degree than the rest of your post. One need look no further than the AAD nonsense for a concrete example of that.

My "mediocre career" has peaked well below yours (i.e., it's not self-deprecating for me to use that phrase), yet even so I can claim some of the experiences you note. When I was a DO, it never ceased to amaze me how little my folks understood the difference between implenting higher-ups' policies vs coming up with my own practice bleeding ideas... until I remembered how many stupid policies I'd seen DOs implement when I was I captain that I put in the "what's that dumbass thinking now?" file. Good on you for fighting those fights, and I hope your rise in the organization continues to the level where you can directly make a difference.

Leadership never owes an explanation to anyone under them, but it sure helps grease the gears if everyone knows "why" a change is happening instead of just telling everyone to do it.

Guys,

Gen. Welsh has his mind and his leadership absolutely in the right place. You cant turn around a carrier on a dime...it takes time. I understand the culture of complaining about everything (i do it too) but this guy is spot on. On top of the changes, he is showing the culture he wants to create, and hopefully inspiring the next generation of leadership to do the same thing. One man cant change a huge bureaucracy even if he is the boss, overnight. But he can and is sure putting us on a far better track.

Dont search for defeat amidst a victory.

Guys,

Gen. Welsh has his mind and his leadership absolutely in the right place. You cant turn around a carrier on a dime...it takes time. I understand the culture of complaining about everything (i do it too) but this guy is spot on. On top of the changes, he is showing the culture he wants to create, and hopefully inspiring the next generation of leadership to do the same thing. One man cant change a huge bureaucracy even if he is the boss, overnight. But he can and is sure putting us on a far better track.

Dont search for defeat amidst a victory.

Funny, I've never thought of the AF as a gigantic floating ship in the middle of the ocean run by a Navy Capt. So, I will disagree with the notion that the man in charge cannot make large, impacting changes just because someone thinks its too big. In case you missed it, thats my bullshit flag flying through the air. Its this kind of stunted thought that keeps us staggering along. All I hear these days is blah blah bold leadership blah blah blah. Its time for those at the top to make actions match the words.

As Blues Monday and its redaction point out, its not too hard to make impactful changes. Here is one simple example, AADs are now masked for all boards until LTC. Easily said and not too hard to implement as its been done before.

Here is another: no more entertainment groups and only 1 AF band. Easily said, not too hard to implement, saves some money, and puts more people into working the core AF mission.

So, here is me, still waiting for something more.

Out