Brooks to Wright-Patterson Conversion

Guest lbzrider14

Guest lbzrider14

Is anyone still monitoring this forum that took their physicals on the first day WP opened up? Wondering if your physical had been certified yet. I would hope things are moving faster/smooth now that all the same command is in one location and there was 3 months of downtime before the conversion to clear up any back-logged IFCI candidates.

I'm curious because I have my physical on Monday 11 April and would LOVE to be certified before the May 31st application deadline for the June AFRC board! Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from my FCI yesterday and wanted to give a few pointers to anyone heading out there in the future.

First, rent a car if at all possible. A taxi from the airport will be anywhere between $50 - $70 depending on how much the cabbie wants to screw with you. There is a base shuttle that runs for $38 per person for one way, or $18 per person if 2 or more people are using it. However, there is no base shuttle, so unless you like going back to your room and sitting by yourself until the following day, I'd suggest getting a rental car.

The building that you will be in for the physical portion is: Medical Flight Standards Branch, 2947 5th St, Bldg 840, Area B, Wright-Patt AFB. If you are at the Wright-Patt Inn, you are in Area A, and will need to either drive to Area B, or take the bus that comes in the morning to take you to Area B.

If you did not rent a car, the bus you need to take is the USAFSAM bus. It is a big Blue bus and will arrive in front of the Wright Patt Inn at 0700. It drops you off at Bldg 840, but again, it would be nice to have a rental car so you weren't dependent on the bus.

As for the exams, it was a pretty intense couple of days. We were lucky and finished in 2 days, but normally it will be 3 days at a minimum. It's pretty much everything that has been discussed here before plus a ton of "Hurry up and wait" time.

Overall, a good experience. The flight surgeon told me it would be about 2-4 weeks before I heard back on the FCI results. Seems to be a little quicker than before the transition. Hope this helps anyone with questions, or getting ready to go.

Guest lbzrider14

I had mine a few weeks ago and had similar experiences. There were about 12 ROTC kids and 6 ANG/AFR guys.

A few words of advice: If you arrive on Sunday night and staying off base at the Hope hotel, you won't be able to get your base access pass until Monday because the office will be closed. Give yourself EXTRA time on Monday morning to stop by gate 1B and pick up your base pass. Also, MAKE SURE you tell them you need access to BOTH Area A & B, otherwise this could cause a headache. Your orders are for the Medical Flight Facility in Area B, so the pass office may only give you Area B access. You will need to go to the hospital in Area A for your chest x-ray.

I was a lasik applicant so I had 3 full days of testing. My schedule went as follows.

Day 1: Showed up 0700 fasting from 1900 the night before, bloodwork, ECG, chest x-ray @ the hospital in area A, report of medical history with one of the techs (be sure to bring all records for potential issues that'll require waivers!), urinalysis, panoramic mouth xray and bitewing xrays, and quick dental exam where they look at your teeth with the metal picks.

Day 2: 4 hour psycological exam done on a computer, Height, weight, bunch of eye tests, hearing test, a 1on1 with the flight surgeon to go over your medical history and he gives you a FAA class 3 exam if you haven't had one in the past 12 months.

Day 3: A TON of extra eye tests for individuals who had eye surgery (included an eye dilation so bring shades). Few guys in my group had a few extra cardio tests to do because their ECG showed abnormal. So they had an Echo/ultrasound.

Everyone was so chill down there; real friendly and actually wanting to see you pass. Very willing to process waivers and that was encouraging to hear from the flight doc. Before you leave you'll get the unofficial word of whether the tests looked good or not. They'll let you know what waviers you need, and the likelyhood of getting the wavier approved.

The encouraging thing I heard from one kid was that for more "exotic" waivers, the people conducting the tests present these exotic cases infront of a medical board across the street. They present the cases, results, and facts, then they all vote whether to proceed with your waiver. If they vote yes, the flight doc now writes the waiver and submits your medical (along with the waiver and recommendations) to AETC surgeon general for the official stamp.

The flight surgeon has 10 days to submit your medical to AETC surgeon general, and I remember hearing that the surgeon general has a 20 day turn-around to certify. So it sounds like things move a lot faster now that everything is done at 1 facility. Flight doc told me 3 weeks for the official stamp.

One Last thing, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE AIR FORCE MUSUEM! And watch "Fighter Pilot" on the IMAX.

Edited by lbzrider14

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, lbzrider14...two quick questions:

1. Do you have to bring your entire medical record? I don't remember seeing anything where it said I have to bring all my records. Just asking cause it's a PITA to collect all my stuff cause it's scattered at various clinics across the country due to moves. I'm not scheduled until mid July, but I need heads up if I need to get all my stuff together. I have a pretty clean slate medically though...most "extreme" thing on my record is getting a cavity removed.

2. Your exam was only 3 days, including the LASIK tests? I haven't gotten LASIK (just contacts), but I'm scheduled to fly out on Sunday and back on Friday. Can I expect to be done early and fly home on Wed or something?

Guest lbzrider14

1. Do you have to bring your entire medical record? I don't remember seeing anything where it said I have to bring all my records. Just asking cause it's a PITA to collect all my stuff cause it's scattered at various clinics across the country due to moves. I'm not scheduled until mid July, but I need heads up if I need to get all my stuff together. I have a pretty clean slate medically though...most "extreme" thing on my record is getting a cavity removed.

I would highly recommend bringing your records if you had any surgeries or possible things that require more exotic waivers. since the doc didn't have any of the stuff I faxed down for my lasik and surgeries it definitely helped having them simply photocopy it while I was there. They were able to present my case at the aeromedical consult board for one of my surgeries during that same week instead of waiting until I sent them again and get into the right hands.

2. Your exam was only 3 days, including the LASIK tests? I haven't gotten LASIK (just contacts), but I'm scheduled to fly out on Sunday and back on Friday. Can I expect to be done early and fly home on Wed or something?

THe ROTC guys had to stay I was told but You can fly out after your released by the medical staff. I'd allow one ful extra day after your released.. One of the kids got a call the next day after he was released to come back for one test redo. I changed my flight with my unit's travel company at no cost so there wasn't an issue.

Guest goducks

You don't need all your medical records. Only pertinent stuff (e.g. surgeries, ER visits) would be required.

You might be done early, but don't plan on it. Keep your flight scheduled for Friday and, if the schedule allows, move it up.

Guest Bernie Lomax

For those of you who've been through lately, what's the required uniform wear? (PT gear/civvies/other?)

Thanks.

For those of you who've been through lately, what's the required uniform wear? (PT gear/civvies/other?)

Thanks.

Out of the Prior Service guys, we ranged from Flight Suits, ABU's, and PT clothes. The civilian guys wore jeans and t-shirts / polos or pt gear. Nobody said one way or the other. I'd recommend wearing PT gear, especially the first day. Definitely makes it more comfortable when you are doing the EKG, Anthropomorphic measurements, etc.

Guest lbzrider14

Thanks.

Banana hammock & crocks

Guest Bernie Lomax

Out of the Prior Service guys, we ranged from Flight Suits, ABU's, and PT clothes. The civilian guys wore jeans and t-shirts / polos or pt gear. Nobody said one way or the other. I'd recommend wearing PT gear, especially the first day. Definitely makes it more comfortable when you are doing the EKG, Anthropomorphic measurements, etc.

PT gear it is. Thanks.

Banana hammock & crocks

Always packed in my suitcase for special occasions.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lbzrider14

Grab dinner at buffalo wild wings with the other guys taking the physicals. They have sexy waitresses, kind of like a conservative hooters. I had the luxury of being able to watch the Bruins in the playoffs too.

I'll be there end of next week for ACS. If I hear of anything good I'll post back.

Edited to say I'll have a rental, so may be able to get to some places most wouldn't. If you're there and a vol for DD, pm me.

Edited by Mike Honcho

I'll be there end of next week for ACS. If I hear of anything good I'll post back.

Edited to say I'll have a rental, so may be able to get to some places most wouldn't. If you're there and a vol for DD, pm me.

I was thinking about getting a rental...my girlfriend is a couple hours drive away from Wright Patt. ;)

Buffalo Wild Wings is the s**t. Good to know there's one nearby...definitely hitting that up.

I was thinking about getting a rental...my girlfriend is a couple hours drive away from Wright Patt. ;)

Buffalo Wild Wings is the s**t. Good to know there's one nearby...definitely hitting that up.

Definitely get a rental. If for nothing else, just the ability to get away from billeting after you are done for the day is well worth the money.

Definitely get a rental. If for nothing else, just the ability to get away from billeting after you are done for the day is well worth the money.

Agreed. $30-something a day isn't bad. Slightly OT, but for those that didn't know, military folks get roughly 25% off car rentals at Hertz and Avis, and I know at least Hertz waives the "under 25" fee.

• 3 weeks later...

Rental car is an absolute must! My unit did not authorize one for me, and if it weren't for the charity of some of the other dudes there who did have cars, I'd have been SOL. The truth is, it is almost impossible to get where you need to be for all of your medical stuff if you don't have transportation. WPAFB is a huge base comprised of three different areas (A, B, C). Lodging is located in Area A, but the medical clinic is located on Area B. They are about 3 miles apart via interstate.

If you have some down time, check out the National AF Museum. It's free, and it's badass.

Rental car is an absolute must! My unit did not authorize one for me, and if it weren't for the charity of some of the other dudes there who did have cars, I'd have been SOL. The truth is, it is almost impossible to get where you need to be for all of your medical stuff if you don't have transportation. WPAFB is a huge base comprised of three different areas (A, B, C). Lodging is located in Area A, but the medical clinic is located on Area B. They are about 3 miles apart via interstate.

If you have some down time, check out the National AF Museum. It's free, and it's badass.

Huh? The FCI "Welcome Letter" says:

Your lodging room will be in Area A at the Wright Patterson Inn or just outside the Area A main gate at the Hope Hotel. Cadets will drive themselves in the van leased by AFROTC for this purpose to Area B where the new building is located at our address listed at the top of this page.

Did that not happen for you?

When do you find out where you're staying? Do you just show up at the Wright Patt Inn and then maybe get a non-A letter?

Edited by LoneWolf121188

Huh? The FCI "Welcome Letter" says:

Did that not happen for you?

When do you find out where you're staying? Do you just show up at the Wright Patt Inn and then maybe get a non-A letter?

When I went, the van was only available to AFA Cadets. Therefore, we had to rely on the base shuttle to take us over to area B if you didn't have a rental car. As for where you are staying, if you call the Wright-Patt Inn (phone # is on the Wright-Patt website), they should be able to verify if you are on or "off" base.

Guest goducks

When I went, the van was only available to AFA Cadets. Therefore, we had to rely on the base shuttle to take us over to area B if you didn't have a rental car. As for where you are staying, if you call the Wright-Patt Inn (phone # is on the Wright-Patt website), they should be able to verify if you are on or "off" base.

There is a disconnect with this. AFA cadets don't come to Wright-Patterson at all. Perhaps you meant AF (e.g. ROTC) Cadets? I know for a fact there is a van that runs from billeting/Hope Hotel to Area B. Can't say if it's always available for everyone or other details, but it does exist.

My entire experience was a huge Charlie Fox. I'm a guard guy, so things may be different for the ROTC dudes. When I went, it was all ANG/AFRES. We didn't have any sort of van, and the shuttle on base is intended for use by the students at the medical schoolhouse there. The times and drop-off locations are entirely inconvenient with where you need to be and when. I stayed at the WP Inn, and when I asked the guy at the front desk about a welcome letter, he looked at me like I had two heads.

Guest goducks

My entire experience was a huge Charlie Fox. I'm a guard guy, so things may be different for the ROTC dudes. When I went, it was all ANG/AFRES. We didn't have any sort of van, and the shuttle on base is intended for use by the students at the medical schoolhouse there. The times and drop-off locations are entirely inconvenient with where you need to be and when. I stayed at the WP Inn, and when I asked the guy at the front desk about a welcome letter, he looked at me like I had two heads.

I think you're right. ANG/AFRES seem to follow a different protocol than ROTC folks. I may be wrong, but it seems that most FCI are ROTC. I suspect the system is designed to deal with their situation.

Bottom line. Get a car if you can, always.

I think you're right. ANG/AFRES seem to follow a different protocol than ROTC folks. I may be wrong, but it seems that most FCI are ROTC. I suspect the system is designed to deal with their situation.

Bottom line. Get a car if you can, always.

Haha, seems to be the only thing in the Air Force actually set up specifically for ROTC. I don't know how many times in the past four years I've felt like ROTC was the red-headed stepchild of the Air Force. I had a SF dude (A1C, I think) at McGuire look at me like I had two heads when I said I was in college, but also in the Air Force. He had never heard of ROTC. :banghead:

Guest timewilltell

BTW... What Airport do you fly into? Dayton? Columbus? Cleveland? Who picks you up? Did you have to wait long when you got to the airport? I'm only asking because I am two weeks out...