UAV (RPA) 2011 Grads

Guest Zerohour

• 2 weeks later...

They make you redo IFS even though you're already complete??? Are you rated right now or coming to RPAs from the non-rated side?

Also, any of you last few have any pointers for me doing an ETP letter or an Age waiver. I'm a current CSO with a PPL and I plan on applying at my next opportunity. I'm 30 (turning 31 in June) and I hit 5 years of commissioned service this September. Any clue on having to do RPA IFS since I'm already rated??? I asked the special flying programs and they didn't know.

They make you redo IFS even though you're already complete??? Are you rated right now or coming to RPAs from the non-rated side?

Also, any of you last few have any pointers for me doing an ETP letter or an Age waiver. I'm a current CSO with a PPL and I plan on applying at my next opportunity. I'm 30 (turning 31 in June) and I hit 5 years of commissioned service this September. Any clue on having to do RPA IFS since I'm already rated??? I asked the special flying programs and they didn't know.

You'll have to do a full up exception to policy letter to apply, especially since you're over the age and AFCSD limit. It's basically a one page memo for record that has to be signed in turn by your entire leadership chain (examples are in the tongue and quill). Keep the body short and sweet (two paragraphs max I'd say) and state why you want the ETP and how the AF would benefit by granting you the ETP. When you submit the ETP you'll need to have your full application ready to send along with it (including the 2915, FC II physical, copy of your PPL and last page of logbook, etc). The process can be lengthy, especially after it gets to HQ USAF where the AF/CV probably won't make a decision on granting the waiver until a week before the board meets, so be prepared to wait.

As for IFS, if you're a CSO with a PPL you will not have to attend RPA IFS (RFS). Most of the washouts I saw in the RPA pipeline came from RFS so I would avoid that like the plague if at all possible. Good luck with the waiver.

Most of the washouts I saw in the RPA pipeline came from RFS so I would avoid that like the plague if at all possible. Good luck with the waiver.

Disagree. IFS will most likely be the LAST flying you do on AF's dime until you get out of RPAs. If given the option, there are many RPA pilots who wouldn't mind to go back to IFS to get more flight time. Better than nothing. Hopefully, the rumors of an ACE-like program come true, but I do not see this happening anytime soon. From the AFSOC side, we barely get our semi-annual requirements done, much less additional flight training. Not to say it would be impossible, but I don't see leadership pushing to give us the option to fly on our weekends (even though again, there are plenty who would love to do just that).

Do what you gotta do, but that's my 2 cents.

Guest SpaceBound

Same as UPT/UNT: 29.5 or 30 or however you interpret the reg. So you'll need to apply for an Exception to Policy (which I got) b/c I was 30 when I got picked up and I already had 5 years post-commission.

I agree w/ the answer above. I just got picked up via the July board and I just turned 32. However, you shouldn't need a full exception to policy, just an age waiver. That's what I tuned in, but it could be different from board to board. Just check the PSDM for when you want to apply.

The two of you have just given me hope. I'll be graduating with my B.S. in Physics 3 months after turning 29 and I was starting to think I had no chance at flying. I've heard that I can start applying for UPT slots this May, a year out from graduating; if anyone has any comment on that bit, I'd be happy to hear it. Given the excess of comment on the needs of the AF for UAV drivers, I reasoned that I might have a shot at it even though I'll be just over the age but it seems like every recruiter I talk to feels otherwise. At least I know that SOMEONE is getting there so I've got a shot too. Just in case, I'll be finishing up my PPL in 3 more flights, I'm aiming to take the TBAS and AFOQT over Spring break, and I'm getting IFR over the Summer. I'm also finishing up a 6 year contract with the ANG next month with 4 years served on AD so hopefully that will weigh in my favor. If anyone has suggestions to be more competitive, I'm all ears. Thanks for all the great info people!

I still have not received a RIP for IFS or UIQ but I did get one for UFC...Not exactly the order I thought I would get them. Anyone know who I should ask where my stuff is? Who handles this stuff for guys after the AD boards?

The Portal says I am going to IFS in March

Edited by Chaff

Guest SpaceBound

Got a slot

PCSM 90

GPA 2.7

PFT 94

AFOQT Pilot 72

That's awesome! You mind if I ask how old you are? Age is going to be my biggest issue...