UAV (RPA) 2011 Grads

Guest Zerohour

Well I finally got done with my flight physical. Had to go back 3 times because they kept "forgetting" to do parts of the physical, apparently because it is a little bit different than regular flight physicals. I just cant understand why they dont just have a little checklist that says what tests need to be done. Anyways thats over with, passed the eye tests despite my depth perception. I can answer any questions about that if anyone has any, my depth sucks really bad because of my astigmatism. So has anyone heard any updates on when or where training will be? I had a few friends go through who commissioned last year and tons of them got washed out at IFS because apparently the RPA version is way longer/harder? Is there a master list of all the bases that will host RPAs? Last I heard it was Creech, Holloman, and possibly Whiteman. Just curious if anyone has any new info.

Holloman is the RTU. Expect Creech, Canon, or Whiteman.

I had a few friends go through who commissioned last year and tons of them got washed out at IFS because apparently the RPA version is way longer/harder?

Go read Smokey's last post in the "Pilot Selection Process" topic. It covers a little of this. I don't think the RPA course is "harder" than the pilot or CSO course...in fact, it appears to be exactly the same course up to solo, and that's where most of the RPA people are having problems. After that it is certainly longer than either of the others, simply because it is essentially both courses tacked together.

I really think that the basic problem is that most of the pilot students, and many of the CSO students, have been working towards flying for several years. They've thought about it, studied it, flown some or a lot of private time, and are somewhat more mentally prepared for the environment. I suspect the RPA group are less prepared (not their fault...the program is new). Many did not expect to fly, had not thought about it or taken much (any?) flying training, etc., and are approaching it from a somewhat more basic starting point. When faced with the rather intense nature of IFS, they just aren't progressing as fast. That is a problem because IFS is not designed to teach at the student's learning level, but expects the student to learn at the IFS level. They always preach that its a screening program to weed out people who can't contnd with the AETC flying training process. Maybe that attitude will have to be modified a little for the RPA program, making it a little more of a training program and a little less of a weeding process. Time will tell. When you set up something new like this you have to wing it a little at first to find out what works and what doesnt. That usually takes a year or two.

If I was an RPA student and I could swing it financially, I think I'd hit my local airport and take a few flying lessons, trying to get at least up to "ready to solo" point. That's probably 6-10 flights, but even a couple would help. Focus on stalls, turns, airspeed control, climb/decent, and patterns. There is more to learn, but that should help you in the pre-solo training where most people appear to be having problems.

Edited by HiFlyer

I got the RPA slot back in Dec and just got dates today. Looks like we're sill going to ASBC.

14 May - DOC

08 June - EAD

17June - 22 July - ASBC

21 Sep - 22 Sep -Training, no more info

4 Jan - 2 April - Training. IFS?

On another note, if you rock out at IFS and any other training, you think there's any way to move up to a full pilot slot?

Guest Zerohour

I got the RPA slot back in Dec and just got dates today. Looks like we're sill going to ASBC.

14 May - DOC

08 June - EAD

17June - 22 July - ASBC

On another note, if you rock out at IFS and any other training, you think there's any way to move up to a full pilot slot?

I would like to believe so, but the reason why they implemented this whole new RPA pipeline was to get RPA pilots. Maybe down the road their might be options, but for now i think were pretty much in it for the long haul. Still haven't gotten my dates.

I would like to believe so, but the reason why they implemented this whole new RPA pipeline was to get RPA pilots. Maybe down the road their might be options, but for now i think were pretty much in it for the long haul. Still haven't gotten my dates.

NO. But you can apply via an Active Duty Rated Board after 2 1/2 years in your first operational unit.

Go read Smokey's last post in the "Pilot Selection Process" topic. It covers a little of this. I don't think the RPA course is "harder" than the pilot or CSO course...in fact, it appears to be exactly the same course up to solo, and that's where most of the RPA people are having problems. After that it is certainly longer than either of the others, simply because it is essentially both courses tacked together.

I really think that the basic problem is that most of the pilot students, and many of the CSO students, have been working towards flying for several years. They've thought about it, studied it, flown some or a lot of private time, and are somewhat more mentally prepared for the environment. I suspect the RPA group are less prepared (not their fault...the program is new). Many did not expect to fly, had not thought about it or taken much (any?) flying training, etc., and are approaching it from a somewhat more basic starting point. When faced with the rather intense nature of IFS, they just aren't progressing as fast. That is a problem because IFS is not designed to teach at the student's learning level, but expects the student to learn at the IFS level. They always preach that its a screening program to weed out people who can't contnd with the AETC flying training process. Maybe that attitude will have to be modified a little for the RPA program, making it a little more of a training program and a little less of a weeding process. Time will tell. When you set up something new like this you have to wing it a little at first to find out what works and what doesnt. That usually takes a year or two.

If I was an RPA student and I could swing it financially, I think I'd hit my local airport and take a few flying lessons, trying to get at least up to "ready to solo" point. That's probably 6-10 flights, but even a couple would help. Focus on stalls, turns, airspeed control, climb/decent, and patterns. There is more to learn, but that should help you in the pre-solo training where most people appear to be having problems.

Hiflyer,

Sage advice, brother.

The purpose of IFS is to screen. Yes, of course, training is provided. But, only that allowed by the demanding syllabus that we execute. AF wants a more or less proven product to introduce into formal undergraduate flight training. We save them $$$$$ in the end game.

Sadly, I can tell you that I know after one ride whether the student has the "chops" to go the distance. My approach doesn't change and I give 110% even though I'm only asked to give 100%. I've got over 14000 hours, much of that as an IP, sadly I "know" when he/she has it or doesn't. But, I still give it my best effort day in and day out.

I knew I wanted to fly for the AF when I was 5 and took a nice picture in the cockpit of my Dad's 105......okay, dating myself.

Anyway, the IFS IPs will bend over backwards to help students get through.......within the limits of the syllabus. We don't take pride in washing out students or destroying their dreams. We do our jobs.

We've got former F-16, U-2 (I'm in both categories), F-15, B-52, C130, C-17, etc., guys/gals here. 90% have prior UPT time as IP's. We KNOW what students need to demonstrate in the big picture. I have had too many students "on the ropes" get through IFS that I offer a little personal mentoring telling them that the struggles you made it through will only be compounded in the next stage. Get your procedural knowledge down tight to aid your learning how to fly the next aircraft.

Knowledge is power in the UFT environment. The more resources you can free up to focus on the actual flying is paramount.

Cheers,

Smokey

14 May - DOC

08 June - EAD

17June - 22 July - ASBC

Spuds,

Not to squash your thoughts, the AF has a selection process. There are pilot candidates that wash out for various reasons that are recommended for Nav slots. Had one two classes ago that was a stellar officer and was about as procedurally sound as I have seen. Student couldn't land the aircraft.

Okay, I made sure that I let the AF side know my personal opinion, not official in anyway, that I would want 100 clones of this student in any unit I was a commander of. He was going through a bit of hell, but kept a great attitude, worked with everyone, and was what I consider an Officer!

I haven't gotten final feed back on the outcome yet...those things take time. Having said that, those recommendations are few and far between at this point.

I have 2 CSO students that have a commercial license...go figure. They can fly the plane beautifully, that expectation is limited in their CSO syllabus.

I ain't the chief of staff so I can't comment on the process. Suffice it to say, the number of CSO students I've had with advanced FAA ratings prior to entering IFS is larger than I care to think about. The selection process belongs to the AF and there is NO upgrade in student status that I'm aware of....unfortunately.

Smokey

Guest IllFlyemsoudonthaveto

I commission at the end of the month and I just received my dates 2 days ago and I was wondering if anyone might know what some of the training letter combinations mean, I assume one of them has to be IFS.

My EAD is 20 August followed by:

2011-39 B3OZYMFS 000 on 9/21/2011

2012003 UP2AA on 10/28/2011

Cheers

Edited by IllFlyemsoudonthaveto

Guest Zerohour

I commission at the end of the month and I just received my dates 2 days ago and I was wondering if anyone might know what some of the training letter combinations mean, I assume one of them has to be IFS.

My EAD is 20 August followed by:

2011-39 B3OZYMFS 000 on 9/21/2011

2012003 UP2AA on 10/28/2011

Cheers

i have thoes same codes and the same dates as you just a diffrent EAD, my cadre didnt know what they where but im going to take a guess that the october date is IFS since its around 2 months long. the 2 day training in sept from what i hear is a SERE familiarization course that a buddy told me was the biggest waste of time ever. also did you get a 13 june ASBC date?

Edited by Zerohour

Guest IllFlyemsoudonthaveto

Thats what I was thinking but I could only wager a guess. No ASBC date for me. My commander said that ASBC would likely be canceled due to a lack of funding and training value anyway, so I wouldnt count on going. I also read in the powerpoint publication that was sent out that they were skipping PME's like ASBC for RPAs anyways. Need more CAPs badly I guess.

I have the same codes on different days, the 2 month one is IFS. The short one my cadre werent totally sure but from last years RPA guys they said it might be a medical day or something like that. By the way, dont rule out ASBC yet, there are a lot of people going to ASBC this year especially RPA guys.

14 May - DOC

08 June - EAD

17June - 22 July - ASBC

Highly doubtful at this time.. we need you to sit in the GCS so the masses of dudes that already graduated pilot training can leave the rpa..

but you never know with the air force.. shit can change overnight especially in the rpa world

• 2 months later...

2012 commissionee with an RPA slot here. Had a buddy at that just graduated from sensor operator tech school and he told me that the RPA pilots he worked with said that they are doing away with IFS and going straight to Randolph for training instead. Can anyone confirm this?

Guest ShadyisGay

2012 commissionee with an RPA slot here. Had a buddy at that just graduated from sensor operator tech school and he told me that the RPA pilots he worked with said that they are doing away with IFS and going straight to Randolph for training instead. Can anyone confirm this?

Incorrect, unless it's a prior rated guy with a PPL or a UPT washout.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone whos gone through an AD Rated Board and gotten an RPA slot know how or when you find out class dates? I just got picked up for RPA's in the July board.

For the guys talking about applying for an active duty board I just got a slot after being in my first operational unit for 1 year 4 months so you dont need the 2.5 year point. I was a UPT washout for air sickness prior to them being able to reclass UPT washouts to RPA's so I may have been a little different but I dont think so.

Guest Cyber_Airman

I've searched the portal and found the cross-flow information, but it's lacking the one detail I see referenced here: age limit.

What is the age limit for crossing into the RPA world? I'm probably pushing over as a prior-E, but I'ld love to give this a shot.

Thanks,

JT

Guest ShadyisGay

I've searched the portal and found the cross-flow information, but it's lacking the one detail I see referenced here: age limit.

What is the age limit for crossing into the RPA world? I'm probably pushing over as a prior-E, but I'ld love to give this a shot.

Thanks,

JT

Same as UPT/UNT: 29.5 or 30 or however you interpret the reg. So you'll need to apply for an Exception to Policy (which I got) b/c I was 30 when I got picked up and I already had 5 years post-commission.

Thanks,

JT

I agree w/ the answer above. I just got picked up via the July board and I just turned 32. However, you shouldn't need a full exception to policy, just an age waiver. That's what I tuned in, but it could be different from board to board. Just check the PSDM for when you want to apply.