Alaska F-22 crash: RIP, "Bong" Haney

HuggyU2

Not good...Alaska can be unforgiving this time of year. Thoughts and prayers to the friends and family!

Hoping and praying for a safe return, definatally not a good couple of months for Elmo.

Cheers BL

What does "lost contact with air traffic control" mean? That statement always bugs me. It feeds the myth (especially to the general public) that you somehow need ATC to effectively pilot an airplane. I spent nearly 99.69% of my time flying USAF aircraft not talking to ATC.

would this be the first F-22 lost as well?

No, the 411 FTS lost one with a Lockheed pilot in it back in March of 2009 in the Mojave Desert.

The first production loss was during takeoff at Nellis on 20 Dec 2004, with the pilot ejecting safely prior to impact.

And then there was this YF-22 which crashed while landing at Edwards in April 1992...

I hope this turns out well, but it ain't looking good...

Cheers! M2

http://www.ktva.com/oldlocal/ci_16638690?source=rss

Wreck site found, location not disclosed. However, the estimated location (Cantwell) is between Eielson AFB in Fairbanks and Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage.

So thats like saying it went down between Laughlin and Minot. If Alaska split into 4 different states it would make Texas the 5th biggest. Does the Wing at Elmendorf practice SAR as a Wing like we did during OSW out of PSAB and Kuwait with all assets participating?

So thats like saying it went down between Laughlin and Minot. If Alaska split into 4 different states it would make Texas the 5th biggest. Does the Wing at Elmendorf practice SAR as a Wing like we did during OSW out of PSAB and Kuwait with all assets participating?

The 176th Wing has some of the best rescue forces around. The reality of flying in Alaska means they get lots of SAR missions.

!FDC 0/7931 ZAN AK.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS TALKEETNA, AK. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT ONLY RELIEF AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS UNDER DIRECTION OF USAF, CAPT COYLE ARE AUTHORIZED IN THE AIRSPACE AT AND BELOW 10000 FEET MSL WITHIN A 20 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 625500N/1474900W OR THE TALKEETNA /TKA/ VOR/DME 41 DEGREE RADIAL AT 73.5 NAUTICAL MILES USAF, CAPT COYLE TELEPHONE 907-552-7543 IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITY. ANCHORAGE /ZAN/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 907-269-1103 IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY.

Kinda narrows down the location some.

Edited by spudsmac

Colonel McMullen held a press conference at 1 p.m. to make a statement and answer questions from the media.

"Last night a two-ship (flight) of F-22s, Rocky One and Rocky Three, were finished with training about 100 miles north of here," Colonel McMullen said.

Everything was normal until about 7:40 p.m., he said, when Rocky Three fell off the radar scope and the pilot lost communications.

"The other pilot (Rocky One) went to a tanker, got gas and then continued to look for the mishap pilot," Colonel McMullen said. "He could not find him. At that time, the Alaska Air National Guard scrambled a C-130 and rescue helicopters. They searched the entire night."

About 10:15 a.m., an Alaska Air National Guard helicopter found a site that fits the data and the description of where rescuers thought the mishap probably occurred, Colonel McMullen said.

"They found the crash site," he said. "They were unable to land at the crash site and take a closer look. We scrambled another helicopter that should be in the area in the next few moments."

Colonel McMullen thanked the Alaskan community and Alaska Air National Guard for their support at such a difficult time.

The name of the pilot is being withheld until the pilot's status is determined.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

(Courtesy of 3rd Wing Public Affairs)

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/dispatches/alaska-beat/88-alaska-beat/7538-f-22-wreckage-found-in-alaska-pilot-still-missing

Search for pilot continues after F-22 crash in AK

By DAN JOLING

The Associated Press

Wednesday, November 17, 2010; 10:05 PM

JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- Searchers are holding out hope, but have found no sign of the pilot of an Air Force F-22 fighter jet that crashed in a remote area of interior Alaska.

The jet was nearing the end of a training mission Tuesday night when ground radar lost track of it. Rescue aircraft spotted the wreckage Wednesday morning, and a helicopter was able to land at the crash site in the afternoon.

Alaska National Guard spokesman Maj. Guy Hayes says pararescuers found no sign of the pilot. Searchers are leaving the site for the night, but Hayes says an air search will continue, looking for a campfire, a parachute or ejection seat.

Pilots carry survival gear and are trained for Arctic conditions. The pilot's name has not been released.

Air Force officials say the crash site is about 100 miles north of Anchorage, near Denali National Park.

(Edit to add AP article - MK)

Edited by MKopack

Easy to lose radar contact out there. It's right on the edge of the AK range. I've flown over Cantwell (in a cessna) during winter and didn't see anywhere I'd care to land an airplane besides some well marked airstrips. Praying against the odds for our fellow aviator.

Anybody know exactly what kind of survival gear the pilot would/might have with them? Also, would pilots wear extra/thicker clothing when flying in Alaska, or is it the standard bag + t-shirt underneath?

Can't speculate exactly what's in his kit, but there's enough in there to survive. And yes, you have to wear winter gear, i.e. long underwear, wool socks, winter boots, etc. There's a couple different levels of winter gear depending on the temp.

My prayers are with the pilot and his family...I sure hope they find him ok.

Anybody know exactly what kind of survival gear the pilot would/might have with them? Also, would pilots wear extra/thicker clothing when flying in Alaska, or is it the standard bag + t-shirt underneath?

Thanks.

When I was up there we had what was known as the "3 Layer Rule." Anyplace that you might fly with surface temps below 10 degrees, you were required to have 3 layers. It was polypro or nomex thermals, flight suit, and fat boy pants w/winter jacket or winter flight suit. We also flew with a survival vest and the heaviest ACES II kit in the Air Force. Most guys also packed extra gloves, balaclavas, and a pair of winter gauntlets (those big mittens you see dog mushers wearing) inside pockets or the jacket top. The kit contained more gloves, socks, a vacuum packed sleeping bag good to -40, and all sorts of other winter survival gear.

The Arctic survival school was mandatory but you could be up there and flying before you actually get to the school. (I got up there in June and didn't attend the school until February.) The school taught me that you could survive in the cold without too much difficulty albeit it would suck. However, if you broke an arm or leg, you ability to function would make your ability to survive orders of magnitude more difficult.

They're doing a ground search now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AI5EE20101119

The article says something about the fact that they don't know whether the ejection seatis at the crash site (attached to the aircraft). They've had three days with the crash site already, wouldn't they know if he ejected yet or not? Is this something difficult to figure out or does it vary with the severity of the crash?

Prayers to the Captain and his family. I hope this ends with a good survival story and a safe pilot returning home.

BL

Well $hit. Prayers for the family and Elmo...

F-22 Pilot Died in Crash

Air Force says pilot died in F-22 crash

By CASEY GROVE

casey.grove@adn.com

Published: November 19th, 2010 05:30 PM

Last Modified: November 19th, 2010 05:31 PM

The pilot of an F-22 Raptor fighter jet that went down Tuesday died in the crash, Col. Jack McMullen, commander of the Air Force's 3rd Wing said this evening.

At a press conference on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, McMullen said evidence at the scene of the crash south of the Denali Highway, including pieces of Capt. Jeff Haney's flight suit and other personal affects, led investigators to that conclusion. Part of the aircraft's ejection seat were also found at the scene.

The F-22 crashed Tuesday night while on a training flight.

This is a developing story. Check back for details as they become available.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/11/19/1563439/air-force-says-pilot-died-in-crash.html#ixzz15mqCMKh1

:flag_waving::beer: :beer: :flag_waving:

Edited by afthunderchief16