Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and the Guard/Reserve

Guys,

I know UAVs are not the favorite topic here on the boards, but I also know that many of baseops members have more experience dealing with them than on any other forum and can help. Would anyone know if there are any opportunities for someone interested in UAVs in the Guard or the Reserve? The ANG website lists a critical need for anyone willing to enter into ISR/UAV openings but websites are generally not the most reliable source for information, especially when there is no indication of what units or even states have that need. Some of the earlier threads on this board hinted that a few Guard units were supposed to be switching from manned missions to unmanned but I do not know if it went through. I am interested in both enlisted (operations or maintenance) or officer (if that is even possible, I have no clue what is going on in the AF in regards to UAVs and the Guard/Reserve). A Midwest unit would be awesome but I am open to hearing about any units in the US.

Thank you for the information and help!

Toto

There are now several Guard and Reserve UAV wings. Guard and Reserve websites are much improved and quite reliable. Do your best to call each unit directly. Recruiters aren't always helpful. Good luck.

Guest pilotapplicant

March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, CA (Reserve) and Syracuse, NY (Guard) both "fly" UAV/UAS/RPAs. I'm sure someone in the Midwest must be doing this also. Currently it is officers who are rated pilots "flying" UAVs in the Air Force. This means that if you want to do this you would need to earn a commission then go to pilot training. To learn how to apply to the Guard/ Reserve search these forums there is ton of information. The key is to talk to someone in the operations group or flying squadron at the unit you want to work for.

Exactly how the Air Force will train a UAV pilot in the future is currently an important topic of discussion. I know that flying UAVs doesn't appeal to me but I understand that the guys doing this are really making a difference in todays fight. Good luck with your search.

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

Edited by pilotapplicant

Thanks for the help guys. I know UAVs are not as popular with those who view flying as a manned mission, but I've had little luck coming in off the street as Nav applicant due to the very limited number of openings in the Guard/Reserve units I've talked with or the desire to take in-house applicants first and I realize that UAVs are really being pushed as the newest mission so I decided to give it some thought. Like you mentioned above, the UAV operators seem to be doing some big things in the current conflicts so why not try and be a part of it?

I did check out the websites again, and although there isn't any career openings listed on the unit pages directly related to UAVs, I did find several UAV squadrons in AZ, TX, and ND besides the units in CA and NY. I will try and call them to see what is going on in their UAV programs and if they have a need for applicants. Thank you all again for the help.

Toto

The 178FW, Springfield OH, is standing up the UAS mission. That's why I left. The short of it: They just had a board to choose UPT candidates (4 or 5 selected). They'll be going through the regular UPT, with phase 3 in T-38s. This is good for those chosen and the Guard should the UAS mission dry up or the new pilots want to fly another airframe.

There will be another selection board in '11.

Edited by onetail

Once selected as a UAV pilot is it possible to switch airframes later down the road to possibly fighters?? (Age Critical: trying to explore all options, this sounds like the way in. I wouldn't mind "suffering" at the controls for a few years if this option is available.)

Anything is possible, there have been many alternate routes into a fighter. Just search the forums. Flying T-38s through phase 3 is better than the alternatives if you want to try to rush a fighter unit later. Get your wings first, especially if age is an issue.

• 1 month later...
Guest dudemize

Once selected as a UAV pilot is it possible to switch airframes later down the road to possibly fighters?? (Age Critical: trying to explore all options, this sounds like the way in. I wouldn't mind "suffering" at the controls for a few years if this option is available.)

It is definitely possible to switch airframes down the road, assuming another unit will hire you.

There is talk of companion trainers coming at some point. It sounds like a done deal for the active duty, not sure how it will play out in the Guard. It won't be anything exciting, probably a single engine piston type aircraft.

Several of the Guard UAV wings also fly the RC-26 and there are opportunities to dual qual.

• 5 years later...

"The 196th Attack Squadron will be holding an Undergraduate RPA Training interview board on Saturday March 5th, 2016 at 0900. POC is Major Brandon Powell, and he can be reached at brandon.j.powell14.mil@mail.mil or (951) 655-7769. Please submit packages by February 29th.   Candidates must be 28 years old or less, less than 4 years commissioned service, passing AFOQT scores, TBAS (Test of Basic Aviation Skills) and PCSM (Pilot Candidate Selection Score) scores, bachelor's degree with certified transcripts, resume letters of recommendation, and flying experience encouraged."