Interstate Cadet

HuggyU2

http://barnstormers.com/listing.php?id=580914

Price?

Luscombe T8 was an L-Bird in at least Mexico?

I tend to avoid gold plated aircraft, but this looks nice.

IF the 955 hours on overhaul is since the 1996 Restoration, that is a bit long on years for my liking for the camshaft health without at least pulling a jug and looking at some camshaft lobes.

I had a '46 8E, it was a nice plane, but the T-8 is tandem for you.

An O-320 150 HP is autofuel capable, if the airframe works out for the STC.

THAT is a good looking airplane. I wasn't familiar with it.

I've never heard of any Luscombe being an "L-Bird". I know Taylorcraft had an L-series aircraft that was produced overseas, but if this has an actual "military history", I'm completely unaware of it.

That really looks slick, though.

Edited by Huggyu2

Conflicting info, But

Well, there may have been one UC-90A. Not much of a warbird, but enough?

http://www.aero-web.org/specs/luscombe/uc-90a.htm

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/Luscombe/luscombe.htm

Toward the end of the production run, as the company experienced financial difficulties, many variations existed. POP: 3,695 included 3,138 built post-war; included 1 (c/n 1653) acquired by the Army in Panama after the outbreak of WW2 and designated UC-90A [42-79549]. Many 8As were modified by the installation of more powerful engines, additional wing tanks, and more advanced instrumentation. In fact, few exist in original configuration — most were modified in some way over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luscombe_8

The Air Force, in 1947, released a specification calling for an 85 hp (63 kW), high-wing tandem-seating aircraft to use as a liaison aircraft for Army ground forces. The proposal required an aircraft that was in current production, so Luscombe decided to convert a model 8E to a tandem configuration. This model passed the military tests, but lost out to the entry from Aeronca, who quoted a low price of less than $1700 per aircraft. Luscombe obtained a type certificate for the T8F anyway, in anticipation of future off-the-shelf buys by the military. The later, modified specification excluded Luscombe with several changes to the procurement, and instead resulted in the Air Force's buying the Cessna L-19 Bird Dog.

Luscombe's are great birds, i annual a couple dude's locally and they're a treat to fly and maintain. That one off of barnstormers above is nice, just be cautious with the "panel mounted" portable. Many FSDO's will shit-fit over an air-gizmo mounted portbale (ie. 496) etc on a certificated airframe. I personally think it looks great, but working for Garmin, I've seen alot of dude's told to get rid of it (redo the panel).

or you could step up to something a little faster..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIG-21U-/160771517786?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item256ebaad5a

Edited by bagasticks

Speaking as one of the few people on this board that actually owns a 1940's aircraft, here's my advice:

Spend money on something nice and restored. No non-name brand types like Rearwin, Interstate or Porter. Think Cessna. Piper. Luscombe. Aeronca. Something well supported by Univair and WagAero.

No "fixer uppers", unless you're a glutton for work, have somebody willing to sign it off and want to spend, way, way more than the airplane is worth.

For a T-38/U-2 guy living in the valley? Get a nice 85-horse clipped wing Cub and call it a day. Fabric and engine less than five years old. Go fly it and enjoy life. Want to skin knuckles? Go help the local RV builder. Let him fly your airplane for currency and when his is finished you'll have access to two jets!

Are you going to take the recall if it comes? I'd love to go flying with you here at United.

PS - the L-2 is a total dog. One of the worst airplanes I ever flew. The O-58 is weak too.

Edited by LJDRVR

No Interstate??? Boooo!!!

However, the other 99% of the advice is sincerely appreciated. Yes,... I hate to hear the "no 'fixer uppers'" mantra,... but deep down I know you are right.

The L-2 has an 85hp on it... but not all of the glass like the bulk of the L-2's. However, he also has a very original Jeep, with a Rat Patrol .50 cal mounted on it. And it's plumbed with an oxygen/propane (I think) combo so than when you pull the trigger, it sounds like you are firing about 7 rounds per second. My wife actually wants me to buy the Jeep and use it to drive around town. Just what I need for a milk-and-donut run to the grocery store, me thinks.

However, he also has a very original Jeep, with a Rat Patrol .50 cal mounted on it. And it's plumbed with an oxygen/propane (I think) combo so than when you pull the trigger, it sounds like you are firing about 7 rounds per second. My wife actually wants me to buy the Jeep and use it to drive around town. Just what I need for a milk-and-donut run to the grocery store, me thinks.

Allow me to point out--you married exceedingly well

Stearman is the most expensive way to fly 90 MPH.

Only fun slipping in final w/ airspeed by wind in the wires.

Used to have keys to a nice one. Couldn't even buy the gas I burned without getting yelled at.

For the same engine, (W-670 220 cont.) try a '31 Waco QCF-2. $250k, for a reason!

L-4 if you need a warbird write-off does sound dandy.

Nice! Oddly enough, I flew a PT-19A (for the first time) in Uvalde, Texas 3 weeks ago. It was the one on the cover of Warbirds magazine late last year. and flew pretty sweet. The owner had a lot of respect for crosswinds in it, and didn't want to chance them.

After I made a few turns on departure, he said "I don't do aerobatics in it. You see the wing seam? Everything inside of that, including the fuselage, I restored. Everything outside of that is 1940." Needless to say, I kept it under 1.2G's all day!

Nice! Oddly enough, I flew a PT-19A (for the first time) in Uvalde, Texas 3 weeks ago.

Huggy, do you know the Huffstutler's out there at Uvalde? Mark, and his son Conrad have quite a collection ranging from a J-3 to a T-6 to a P-51. If anyone can help you find an "Old time" war bird, they can.

Although I'd like to have a "Warbird", I think I'll stick to my 120, that's old enough and cheep enough for me!

Nice! Oddly enough, I flew a PT-19A (for the first time) in Uvalde, Texas 3 weeks ago. It was the one on the cover of Warbirds magazine late last year. and flew pretty sweet. The owner had a lot of respect for crosswinds in it, and didn't want to chance them.

After I made a few turns on departure, he said "I don't do aerobatics in it. You see the wing seam? Everything inside of that, including the fuselage, I restored. Everything outside of that is 1940." Needless to say, I kept it under 1.2G's all day!

If you buy it, can I get a ride as a finders fee? :beer:

Warning, wall of text below, but worth the read/drool/dream.

I see a few up my alley, if not Huggy's:

Auction outside Cleveland 19 May on Barnstormers.

http://www.starmanauctions.com/upcomingauctions.5.htm

Rare planes, so hunted the owner, he has some listed under his uncommon name, not a corporation.

Dig this collection:

1001E7AC-4551 AERONCA 7AC

1761312 SPARTAN 7W

200JV130 EXTRA FLUGZEUGBAU GMBH EA 300/L

202JV81140 RV-8

40JV 80 AVIONS MUDRY ET CIE CAP 10B

41JV 735H PITTS SPECIAL S-1S

5662210030C MAULE MX-7-235

659N 3123 WACO Aircraft Description Serial Number 3 Type Registration Individual

Manufacturer Name FLAGLOR Certificate Issue Date 12/14/2006 Model GEE BEE Y Expiration Date 06/30/2013

VENALECK JOHN T, owner of Associated Enterprises.

SAT. - MAY 19th 2012 MAJOR ANTIQUE EXPERIMENTAL & OTHER AIRCRAFT COLLECTION Located in Cleveland, Ohio

This is a Single Individuals Private Collection Including:

1937 Spartan Excecutive 7W, 3,718 Hrs. T.T., R-985 Engine, 503 Hrs. SMOH, Restorted to Museum Quality,

1939 Waco AGC-8 Cabin Class-1806 T.T. Jacobs L6MB -107 S.M.O.H. Ground up restoration in 2000. This is an absolutely Flawless Aircraft,

1930 Waco ATO Tapper Wing, 785 Hrs., T.T. Wright R-760, 115 Hrs. S.M.O.H. Ground Up Restoration in 1997.

Ryan ST-3KR (PT-22)-1944 T.T. has Ranger 6-440-C5 Engine, 251 Hrs. S.M.O.H. Restored,

1984 Flaglor Gee Bee Y - 159 Hrs., T.T., Lyc. R-680 Engine 583 S.M.O.H.,

1943 Howard DGA-15P-835 Hrs. T.T., P&W-R-985, 109 Hrs., S.M.O.H. Complete Ground Up Restoration in 2003,

1946 Aeronca 7AC-3,121 T.T.,

2003 Daytona Cub (Experimental PA-18) On Clamar Tech. Floats, 379 Hrs. T.T. Lyc 0-360-C4F Engine,

1979 Pitts Special SI-S, 119 Hrs. T.T. Lyc. IO-360-B4A, 6 S.M.O.H.,

2002 Vans RV-8 193 Hrs. T.T. Lyc. IO-360-A1B6, 193 T.T.,

1972 Cessna 172-L, 3,386 T.T. Lyc. O-320-E2D 1337 S.M.O.H.,

2001 Extra 300L, 196 Hrs. T.T. Lyc. AEIO-540-L1B5, 196 T.T.,

1986 Maule MX-7-235, 857 T.T., Lyc. IO-540-W1A50, 857 T.T.,

1979 Pipe 601-P AeroStar-3,880 T.T. Engines 406 S.M.O

Edited by moosepileit

You need to take a look at a Yak or CJ. I'm not sure how much cost you are looking to cut from the T6 by looking at L4's but the Yak is a phenomenal bang for the buck. They qualify as warbirds for taking them to military shows. Unlike an L4 or PT, they have the speed to actually make that practical. The best part is the community. We get together a few times a year for formation events, there are quite a few gatherings out west as well. I have been extremely impressed with the civilian ethic and approach to flying these planes and have been completely comfortable in 20 ship formations. I'm sure you saw the same thing in the Texan. Check out flyredstar.org and let me know if you have questions.

Edited by GreasySideUp