PPM Move Question

Guest Ir0nRaven

Guest Ir0nRaven

I don't have orders yet, so I can't get an "official" move estimate yet. However, due to some TDY's before my PCS, I need to figure out NOW if it's gonna be viable to do a PPM/DITY.

I went to TMO today and she did a PPM Calculator worksheet. I watched her look up all the numbers except the Low Baseline Percentage (which came out to 200%). What is low baseline percentage? She seemed really unsure about the final number, and I had to help her with the math - didn't really instill confidence in me.

Can someone explain low baseline percentage? Does it make sense to have 200% (which doubles my reimbursement)?

Here are my numbers (moving from Columbus, MS to Seattle, WA).

Baseline Rate: $0.551

Max Pack Rate: $0.1535

Total Weight (CWT): 10,000

Low Baseline Percent:200%

Total = (BR+MP) * CWT * LBP = 14,090.00

Thanks!

I don't have orders yet, so I can't get an "official" move estimate yet. However, due to some TDY's before my PCS, I need to figure out NOW if it's gonna be viable to do a PPM/DITY.

I went to TMO today and she did a PPM Calculator worksheet. I watched her look up all the numbers except the Low Baseline Percentage (which came out to 200%). What is low baseline percentage? She seemed really unsure about the final number, and I had to help her with the math - didn't really instill confidence in me.

Can someone explain low baseline percentage? Does it make sense to have 200% (which doubles my reimbursement)?

Thanks!

I realize Seattle is farther from Columbus than Dover is but I only got $7,051.56 to move 10,200 lbs in August......so you might want to recheck those numbers...I can't imagine it would be double that

Thanks!

According to the JFTR, the AF will pay you 95% of what they would pay a commercial mover to move your stuff. That's most likely what the LBP refers to, and the only value which makes sense in that equation (no reason for the govt to pay you 200% of the equivalent cost.

A DITY from CONUS to CONUS is almost always viable and you should make a decent chunk of change. It just depends on if it is worth it to you or not. I think I made well over a grand profit on my last DITY and it was a much shorter distance than you're moving.

• 1 year later...

It's our first move in the Air Force, my husband and I are PCS-ing from Minnesota to Columbus, MS. We are doing a full DITY/PPM. Do you have any tips or any information in regards to the paperwork that must be filled out before and after the move? I'm having a hard time navigating on the move.mil website. Thanks in advance...I appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks!!

Edited by caseyh

Once you get registered in DPS setting up a move is pretty straight forward since it asks specific questions then auto-populates the forms for you to submit to TMO. If you have specific questions, call your local TMO shop and have them walk you or your husband through the process. Don't let them tell you no, they likely have cheat sheets available or can take 10 minutes away from Facebook to help. Good luck on your first of many moves.

The JFTR actually has limits on your trailer size, and how it is constructed. I'm fairly certain I read that a fully enclosed trailer is not reimbursable for weight on a PPM. I recently PCSed and have a trailer, and the local TMO office mentioned to me that it can not be an enclosed trailer (if you want to be reimbursed for its weight).

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/browse/Travel_Regulations/Regulations_Changes/Monthly/2011/JFTR/Change-290(02-01-11).pdf

"4. HHG also include:

h. A utility trailer, with or without a tilt bed, with a single axle, and an overall length of no more than 12 feet (from rear to trailer hitch), and no wider than 8 feet (outside tire to outside tire). Side rails/body no higher than 28 inches (unless detachable) and ramp/gate for the utility trailer no higher than 4 feet (unless detachable)."

And read some more on here from post #185 and on...

The JFTR actually has limits on your trailer size, and how it is constructed. I'm fairly certain I read that a fully enclosed trailer is not reimbursable for weight on a PPM. I recently PCSed and have a trailer, and the local TMO office mentioned to me that it can not be an enclosed trailer (if you want to be reimbursed for its weight).

Don't neglect paras e and/or f re boat, motorcycle, etc. trailers, which ARE included in HHG weight, enclosed or otherwise. I had to fight with TMO on that one, but I won....

Don't neglect paras e and/or f re boat, motorcycle, etc. trailers, which ARE included in HHG weight, enclosed or otherwise. I had to fight with TMO on that one, but I won....

Engrish?

I'll just leave this here, but TMO doesn't do any kind of inspection on your trailer...

Engrish?

I'll just leave this here, but TMO doesn't do any kind of inspection on your trailer...

You quoted para h, which excludes utility trailers over a certain size; I'm pointing out that paras e & f in the same section provide for specialty trailers for items includable in HHG, without regard to size/style. In my case, I was paid for my 18', dual-axle, enclosed motorcycle trailer.

TMO "inspects" your trailer insofar as they want a copy of the title/registration, at least in my experience.

I guess I need to get out more. I've never seen the word "paragraphs" abbreviated as "paras." I'm not trying to argue here, just pointing out to others to do their homework on this sort of stuff before executing their PPM. I personally think its stupid they try and limit what type of trailer you can use. If I'm moving my stuff, why would I want it subject to the elements and possible theft while I'm lugging all my belongings across the country?

My utility trailer has a removable heavy duty top. Not secure from theft, but at least its free from the elements. Best thing to do as well on trips is to book reservations on a military installation along the way. Should be fairly safe from theft while on a military installation. Only thing that's a pain is the whole firearms on base BS.

I know for years folks were buying big trailers and using them for moves and were legally able to claim the weight of the trailer itself. Once they got to the final destination they sold off the trailer and profited on the move. You could use or buy any trailer you wanted but now they are pretty specific on size and type to be reimbursed for. Another good deal gone.

I am in this process as well. The DITY/PPM is pretty easy to do with the online system - getting into the right program was the hardest part. I estimated 4000 pounds and they said $2200 or around $.55 a pound. I believe there is also a factor in how far you are moving as well - Dover to Scott isn't that far so the total might be smaller in my case.

Edited by BigFreddie

I'm in the middle of packing up my stuff for the long haul from McChord to Dover. I have done several full DITY's in the past. This time I am doing half and half (estimated 5000 lbs each for me and them to move).

In regards to trailers, the new rules went into effect sometime around 2007 or 2008, I can't remember exactly. I just remember that my last PCS was in the summer of '08 and I bought a 7x16 tandem axle enclosed trailer and the rules were fairly new then. I still did alright, but I lost the 2200 lbs of trailer weight. I do use it to move my motorcycle. I have a motorcycle wheel chock and tie downs permanently installed. But at what point does that constitute a "motorcycle trailer" considering the vast majority of my weight is other house hold goods (tool boxes, gun safe/guns, etc...)? Who makes that determination?

BIGFREDDIE: I'm estimating 5000 lbs from McChord to Dover (2793 miles) and it came in at $5400, so barely over a dollar per pound. You have about half the distance, so the 55 cents per pound is probably right.

Edited by TopperHarley
  • Upvote 1

I do use it to move my motorcycle. I have a motorcycle wheel chock and tie downs permanently installed. But at what point does that constitute a "motorcycle trailer" considering the vast majority of my weight is other house hold goods (tool boxes, gun safe/guns, etc...)? Who makes that determination?

In practice, I would guess that's your local (losing base) TMO, and very subject to how hard you fight. I PCS'd from Peterson when the new rules had just come out--it was simply a case of me saying "it's a motorcycle trailer," with no drama. I PCS'd from Barksdale last year, and I had to get into it with the TMO (civilian) Section Chief; even after going to her HAF counterpart (and being told to pay me), she never did truly concede the point, saying, "Well, the rules are still too vague, hopefully DOD will get this clarified." Bottom line, I got paid.

NB, I'm sort of opposite from you--the vast majority of weight in my trailer is the bikes, though I do put other stuff in there (generally outsized stuff that won't fit in the truck).

Question to everyone. I'm doing a full DITY to Cannon, but I have a TDY (out and back) terminating the day before my PCS starts, so I'm taking care of it in advance.

The form says that weight tickets must be provided 45 days from the start of the move. Is that the time I physically depart this base, or the day I signed the paper?

Don't forget they tax you on your reimbursement on the difference between your reimbursement and the receipts you provide. So although theoretically you can make almost a dollar per pound moved... plan on less... like $0.75 a pound.

Trailer must be open and smaller than 12 feet long by 8 feet wide.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently pcs'd across the country and had to leave my wife behind to finish up some job stuff. Now, we're planning on flying her and the dog down and wondering about moving her car. We would drive it, but she's pregnant and it's about a week drive.

1. Will the AF pay to move the car?

2. If not, does anyone have any gouge on companies that do that and costs?

3. Will we be able to set up a move to take her stuff or is it all out of pocket as well?

Question to everyone. I'm doing a full DITY to Cannon, but I have a TDY (out and back) terminating the day before my PCS starts, so I'm taking care of it in advance.

The form says that weight tickets must be provided 45 days from the start of the move. Is that the time I physically depart this base, or the day I signed the paper?

I was in a similar situation and moved my stuff about 6 mos before my actual PCS date. When I turned it all in, they didn't care. I even had a full weight ticket from when I moved, but had an empty weight ticket from a couple days before (because I lost the original empty one) and they didn't even question it.

Recently pcs'd across the country and had to leave my wife behind to finish up some job stuff. Now, we're planning on flying her and the dog down and wondering about moving her car. We would drive it, but she's pregnant and it's about a week drive.

1. Will the AF pay to move the car?

2. If not, does anyone have any gouge on companies that do that and costs?

For the moving the car, most likely nothing extra. JFTR U5417 could apply but only if both of you traveled in the first POC at the same time. Now, you will instead be claiming the cost of her airline ticket. So might be best to try and find a company that may ship it for cheap. Some individuals may do it for a small fee and return airfare.

• 1 year later...

Thread bump, I read the previous page regarding trailer rules and I have a quick question. I purchased a 14ft single axle "motorcycle" trailer to make my first move to CBM, I sold my motorcycle so now the trailer is just going to have house hold items in it. I am doing a full PPM. Can I argue that this is a "motorcycle trailer" even though I am not transporting a motorcycle in it so I can get reimbursed for the weight?

Keep in mind I am fresh piece of shit Lt showing up to UPT, I have yet to make my move, but I don't want to start a war when I am going to loose. But I also could use the extra cash from the trailer weight.

Also my apologies if this has been asked in the other PCS thread, quick google search turned up this thread.

Thread bump, I read the previous page regarding trailer rules and I have a quick question. I purchased a 14ft single axle "motorcycle" trailer to make my first move to CBM, I sold my motorcycle so now the trailer is just going to have house hold items in it. I am doing a full PPM. Can I argue that this is a "motorcycle trailer" even though I am not transporting a motorcycle in it so I can get reimbursed for the weight?

Keep in mind I am fresh piece of shit Lt showing up to UPT, I have yet to make my move, but I don't want to start a war when I am going to loose. But I also could use the extra cash from the trailer weight.

Also my apologies if this has been asked in the other PCS thread, quick google search turned up this thread.

I may be corrected by someone with more SA on the matter, but I am pretty sure as long as you own the trailer, you can claim the weight of it regardless of what you put in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFTR says 12 ft non inclosed you can, anything larger you can't. However specialty trailers such as a enclosed motorcycle trailer the weight can be included. I just don't want to get jammed up if I present the reg and say that I have motorcycle trailer so should be covered, but not have a motorcycle in it,

I guessing my best course of action is to just include the weight and see if anyone says anything. If so site the reg, If questioned about having a motorcycle play the "I'm a dumb ass

"2Lt who has been on AD for 3 days" card and get a new weight ticket with the empty trailer included.

JFTR says 12 ft non inclosed you can, anything larger you can't. However specialty trailers such as a enclosed motorcycle trailer the weight can be included. I just don't want to get jammed up if I present the reg and say that I have motorcycle trailer so should be covered, but not have a motorcycle in it,

I guessing my best course of action is to just include the weight and see if anyone says anything. If so site the reg, If questioned about having a motorcycle play the "I'm a dumb ass

"2Lt who has been on AD for 3 days" card and get a new weight ticket with the empty trailer included.

That is a great way to owe the government money at best and earn yourself a criminal record at worst.

• Upvote 1

Don't try to milk the govt out of a few hundred bucks on false pretenses...even if it logically makes sense you should be able to count the weight. Bring the applicable JTFR into TMO, tell them how you interpret and see what they say. If it's not the answer you want, then walk away and save yourself a potentially massive headache later. The money isn't worth it.