For once I'm glad we don't have ADS-B

TacAirCoug

Point an iPhone at the Sky, See Augmented Reality Info as Planes Fly By

500x_planefinderar.jpg

Plane Finder AR adds a layer of augmented reality to its previous (and free) Plane Finder app, now charging $3 for the privilege of seeing the flight number, speed, destination and other such details of overhead planes. The same developer is making a name for itself in transportation apps, with its Airline Finder acting as a guide to all the various airline planes in the world; Ship Finder showing real-time movements of our aquatic vessels; and the real-time Plane Finder and Plane Finder Free apps, which only has $5 and detailed aircraft information on each plane between them.

This latest one, Plane Finder AR, displays augmented reality information on the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4's screens, when pointed at a plane in the sky. Little thumbnails appear, highlighting the flight number, speed, altitude, last port of call and destination, and how far away it is from you.

It works by picking up the ADS-B data from the planes, which is why not every plane the iPhone is pointed at has information to be displayed

From the iTunes Store:

Plane Finder AR

Description

Wondered where that plane up above is going - Wonder no more!

Plane Finder AR - Point the camera at a plane and you'll see the flight number, aircraft registration, speed, altitude and how far away it is!

Amaze your friends with your newfound knowledge!

Contrails will no longer be a mystery!

Plane Finder AR blends the data from our Plane Finder virtual radar apps with the Augmented Reality capabilities of the iPhone to show you what is flying overhead.

The app is fun to use and is very dynamic. It will work in all areas for which we have coverage.

Please check our web map at http://www.planefinder.net or ask a question via my.pinkfroot.com to make sure we cover your area.

We are adding feeds all of the time so it's always worth checking back in regularly.

Plane Finder AR works by picking up ADS-B plane feeds used by all commercial planes to transmit their name, position, destination and lots more.

Check out our Plane Finder and Plane Finder HD apps for an amazing radar like view of the air traffic across the world.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Plane Finder AR and Plane Finder?

Plane Finder AR is our augmented reality app that shares the data available in Plane Finder- our original iPhone App. Plane Finder (and Plane Finder HD) provide a near real time virtual radar view of flight from across the world and include a great deal more detail that Plane Finder AR. All Plane Finder apps share common ADS-B data.

Why can't I see all planes?

Aircraft must be carrying ADS-B equipment and we must have a feed in the area. (In the US airlines have been slow to adopt the technology but usage is continuing to rise).

What if my area isn't covered?

We are always on the lookout for more data feeds. Check back regularly to see if we have added your area.

If I have an SBS, RadarBox, Plane Gadget or Aurora ADS-B receiver can I share my data for use with Plane Finder AR?

Yes. Please contact support@pinkfroot.com and we can assist.

Can I use Plane Finder AR for navigational purposes?

Definitely not. Plane Finder must not be used for navigational purposes under any circumstances

Disclaimer: The use of the information presented using Plane Finder is strictly limited to your pursuing enthusiast activities (i.e. for entertainment purposes), which specifically exclude any activities that might endanger yourself or the lives of others. Under no circumstances will the developer of this application be held responsible for incidents resulting from the use of the data or its interpretation or its use contrary to this agreement

Glad we don't, but this is a huge advancement for traffic and Wx SA in the general aviation community. Where once small aircraft were limited to TCAS, TCAD, and as of late, XM weather, soon we will be able to have all of this capability on an Ipad! Pretty sweet if anyone flies on the other side.

Amaze your friends with your newfound knowledge!

Contrails will no longer be a mystery!:

Does that mean people will be able to identify the jets responsible for chem trails?

What if the developers disappear, mysteriously like Amelia Erhart?

MenInBlack1.jpg

Does that mean people will be able to identify the jets responsible for chem trails?

What if the developers disappear, mysteriously like Amelia Erhart?

MenInBlack1.jpg

Who's "Amelia Erhart"?

I've heard of Amelia Earhart, but never Amelia Erhart.

Edited by capt4fans

Glad we don't, but this is a huge advancement for traffic and Wx SA in the general aviation community. Where once small aircraft were limited to TCAS, TCAD, and as of late, XM weather, soon we will be able to have all of this capability on an Ipad! Pretty sweet if anyone flies on the other side.

And how will the iPad get that data in the cockpit? Through what wireless connection up at altitude?

And how will the iPad get that data in the cockpit? Through what wireless connection up at altitude?

Bluetooth puck antenna. Already available through NavWorx and WxWorx. There were nearly 10 vendors at Osh Kosh this year developing products. Also heard one was developing a bluetooth antenna for XM weather.

Not sure if the iPad will interface with a GDL-69 yet but it will interface with a tablet PC to display XM satellite weather on.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=228&ra=true

Edit: 4 posts in a row from members who joined in 2003, now that's old school....

Edited by SUX

Not sure if the iPad will interface with a GDL-69 yet but it will interface with a tablet PC to display XM satellite weather on.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=228&ra=true

Edit: 4 posts in a row from members who joined in 2003, now that's old school....

As I understand it, there's no interface to get the GDL-69 other than the serial ports. Ipad doesn't have serial, nor a convenient USB option. As far as I know, all of the pins on the Ipad plug are used, eliminating that option. Bluetooth on a jailbroken Ipad really seems to be one of the best options now. . give it 6 months, it will change.

Interestingly, I got to use it with Foreflight installed with a bluetooth gps on an owners keychain:

http://shop.crackberry.com/freedom-keychain-gps-2000/9A57A2869.htm

Keeps it on his Bonanza keychain. I was really impressed by the charts with position overlay as well as the approach plates. Updating was snappy and fresh, and the bluetooth GPS worked flawlessly. :drinking:

As I understand it, there's no interface to get the GDL-69 other than the serial ports. Ipad doesn't have serial, nor a convenient USB option. As far as I know, all of the pins on the Ipad plug are used, eliminating that option. Bluetooth on a jailbroken Ipad really seems to be one of the best options now. . give it 6 months, it will change.

Interestingly, I got to use it with Foreflight installed with a bluetooth gps on an owners keychain:

http://shop.crackberry.com/freedom-keychain-gps-2000/9A57A2869.htm

Keeps it on his Bonanza keychain. I was really impressed by the charts with position overlay as well as the approach plates. Updating was snappy and fresh, and the bluetooth GPS worked flawlessly. :drinking:

I like it. Jepp view on the iPad is great too. After using both there are things that I like more about Foreflight and some things about Jepp view that I prefer

Another win for the grammer police. Thanks for keeping the rest of us safe.

Damn......caught again....nice one tac airlifter. And I fixed that post.

Edited by capt4fans

Pot: Hey kettle, why are you so black?

After consulting a review board of 3 retired middle school English teachers, I am prepared to award CHS17 the prize for breaking the Grammar Nazi Irony curse. It appears everything is correctly spelled, punctuated as well as meeting the clear, concise and correct DLO.

Congratulations. :salut: