Ex-Army guy going to UPT

Guest Rail26

Questions for the Army guys that did/are doing the switch over...

RLO or Warrant?

If Warrant how did that work in so far as converting over to a system that has no equivalent?

Active Duty or Guard and if Active Duty who did you call?

Not exactly ready to jump ship or anything, just keeping my options open as the field seems to be changing in the 4-10 year plan.

Questions for the Army guys that did/are doing the switch over...

RLO or Warrant?

If Warrant how did that work in so far as converting over to a system that has no equivalent?

Active Duty or Guard and if Active Duty who did you call?

Not exactly ready to jump ship or anything, just keeping my options open as the field seems to be changing in the 4-10 year plan.

I'm an RLO as are the other guys I know that made the switch. WO's attend USAF OTS and enter as 2LT's.

I've only met one former WO in the AD AF so I'm no help re: a POC.

I finished the FWQ program in Mar of '11 and there was much talk of getting rid of the program. As far as I know it is still available and only offered at Laughlin. The only real difference in the syllabi was the T-6 portion which was about 20 flights shorter. You will be "encouraged" to participate in the T-6 flight rooms and learn as much as you can. The T-38 portion was almost identical, but just different enough to keep the scheduler on their toes. In the -38 program we did all of the EPQ's and stand up and were part of the UPT class. I know the previously mentioned T-1 guy (great dude) and there was some latitude to finish him earlier. If you still have questions please PM and Ill help where I can.

There was talk of only offering it to AD AF pilots transitioning, but I dont know the current status. I could certainly call back there if it helps.

edited for content...

Edited by Kdubz

I'm assuming you're a warrent then. My squadron has two guys that just finished OTS, both prior Army Blackhawk drivers, they'll be heading to Kirtland early next year as 2Lts. That being said, that's the helo transition. If you're looking for a FWQ slot, well I can't help there.

• 6 months later...

Thought I would update this thread with the real deal.

FWQ is dead for ANG/Reserve guys. I talked to the National Guard Bureau and I was the last guy to go through it. There are a lot of rumors about people screwing it up, not doing well, etc. The real deal is the Air Force wants everyone to speak the same language and attend the same training and after the experience I agree. It doesn't really matter if you have a crapload of hours and are the best thing since sliced bread. The AF wants all their pilots to start at a similar baseline and expand from there. I was intimately involved in the process all the way through to the NGB. The bottom line is if you have not attended UPT as either a AF or Navy guy you will go through it. FWQ is no more. I hope that clears it up and this information is current.

As for the experience, the training is very fast paced and thorough. I found it challenging and completely different from my other flight training experiences. When you go there, expect 12 hours days, crapload of studying and some good, challenging flying. Think long and hard about the "grass is greener on the other side."

That's too bad. Making helo guys go through the entire UPT gig seems like an enormous waste of time and money.

I guess we can assume people have excess time and the USAF has excess money so this makes sense.

From what I've seen of FWQ vs. standard UPT, it's not that much of a difference except for the early nut kicking. That being said, I think it's a good idea to combine them because there's a lot that can be learned from the group setting that can't be self taught.

From what I've seen of FWQ vs. standard UPT, it's not that much of a difference except for the early nut kicking. That being said, I think it's a good idea to combine them because there's a lot that can be learned from the group setting that can't be self taught.

The AF is shrinking fast and they can be very picky on who they let in the door. They make no bones about wanting the young kids coming through the door to mold them into their future pilots. But if you have served one day in the military, you know most things make little to no sense whatsoever. UPT is just the nature of the beast. The other thing to remember too is that with the FWQ door closing so begins the age restriction. To attend UPT you will need an age waiver if you are past the UPT age (forgot what it is.) Good luck, but the AF has pretty much shut the door to the Army.

This does suck. My unit has hired a couple Army fixed wing dudes and now AFRC is telling us that their fixed wing qual doesn't count. They have over 1500 hours in fixed wing planes. I remember a fixed wing Army dude going through C-130 school with me at the Rock that didn't have this problem, but that was about 9 years ago. Guess we are trying to cull the herd now, but in 2-3 years will be begging to get pilots. I love the circle of life.

Yea, since we get out fixed wing at Flight Safety, the USAF doesn't seem to like it. Most of the fixed wing guys at Rucker went through the 60 course first (unless they transitioned after a few years).