Early ROTC Graduation

Guest Buckeye14

Guest Buckeye14

Ok, so my overall question is this: What happens if you get to AS400 and you have the opportunity to finish your classes early? I know you fill out a form 48 for AFROTC but could that be changed? Do you have to finish out the year to complete the AS400 ROTC course? (I'm assuming this is the case but I wanted to ask).

Also, I am a recent transfer student about to enter ROTC. Since I am a transfer student, I have a good chunk of hours to ease the pressure of classes in the future should I choose to take 4 years of ROTC. The reasons I am considering taking that long to graduate is so that over the next two years I can take a lighter load of classes, have a stellar GPA because of it, and give myself more time to devote to ROTC and Guard commitment while the whole time maxing my flight hours and giving the cadre more time to get to know me, etc.

While I don't mind staying in school that long (I'm 21 and so have plenty of time to get a pilot slot age-wise), I'd like to get people's opinions. Should I just rush through and graduate in 3 years? Does it hurt my chances if I start ROTC in the 200-level?

I also am trying to decide between two majors. The first is a realatively easy BA major that I know I could get straight A's in or close to it, especially if spread out over four years. The second is an Engineering course that while I will be very interested in, it will take me the full four years to finish it and I know it will be a lot tougher to pull out an awe-inspiring GPA in. The reason I am considering this is because I know it will be a challenge, and it would be a worthwhile mental pursuit.

I look at it like this, my first major I feel about 99% confident that when it came to pilot selection boards I would look like a really solid candidate. I feel in that case obtaining a pilot slot would not be nearly as much of a problem. :airforce: For me, that is 100% the end goal and what I've been working my whole life towards. The only thing I would be risking is knowing that I took the easy route, and honestly from what I've seen so far the BA degree would forever feel like it was not much of a challenge to get. has anyone else thought about this? Thanks for any input :beer:

Edited by Buckeye14

Guest yousayahhyes

Well I am supposed to commission this December and it will be early (waiting approval from headquarters) My cadre said it should be no problem as it will save the air force money. I am taking an independent study with my Det commander to finish the second part of my as 400 class as I am taking the first semester class as well. It can be done early as I have all my degree requirements done and just need to finish my AS classes. So graduating early can be done. As far as your major goes, it really doesn't matter too much what it is. Sure engineering will be more of a challenge but also you risk getting lower scores and possibly no pilot slot. Generally it doesn't matter but I have a friend who did not get a pilot slot because he was an electrical engineering major but have other engineering friends who did. Take that for what its worth. I am a BA major in language and I got a pilot slot and started my 200 year as well. If you are a good cadet and are involved you will be fine. It just depends on what you really want to do. If you want to be an engineer then go for it but if your ultimate goal is to be a pilot then take whatever will give you the best opportunity for being a pilot and something you will be interested in. That is not to say your taking the easy road because grades are just a part of the process, sure they matter but if you have anywhere in the 3.2 or higher range than your grades are fine. Your commanders ranking is huge but if you have good grades this will help. I would say go for whatever you feel you would be most interested in. As long as you keep pretty good grades then you will be fine. As far as how long to stay and graduating early, you compete your junior year for a pilot slot. If you start at the 200 year and get a field training slot this summer then you will still have two years as a POC so three years total. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guest Buckeye14

I am a BA major in language and I got a pilot slot and started my 200 year as well. If you are a good cadet and are involved you will be fine. It just depends on what you really want to do. If you want to be an engineer then go for it but if your ultimate goal is to be a pilot then take whatever will give you the best opportunity for being a pilot and something you will be interested in.

I'm curious, do you feel that by starting in AS200 that you had a harder time getting a FT spot for the next summer? I've been running Degree Audit Reports and I'm realizing that I could easily graduate in 3 years and I feel that I could still have a great GPA. I just don't want to start in this easy BA major and worry about not getting a FT spot in a year.

Also, does anyone know if your GPA from previous institutions is factored into your ROTC GPA for transfer students?

Guest Zerohour

ROTC factors in all grades. I had 6 hrs that i got out of the way before i got to college and those credits were from a Community college, they are factored in every year and that was over 3 years ago that i took those 2 classes.

Guest Buckeye14

ROTC factors in all grades. I had 6 hrs that i got out of the way before i got to college and those credits were from a Community college, they are factored in every year and that was over 3 years ago that i took those 2 classes.

Bummer, I have some college credits from my "lazy don't give a f@#%" days that I'd like to disappear. That's too bad. I guess I just have to make my grades stellar from here on out, I wish my old immature self didn't stick with my current more mature dedicated self. This must be what it feels like to have a bad credit score that you're trying to fix.

Bummer, I have some college credits from my "lazy don't give a f@#%" days that I'd like to disappear. That's too bad. I guess I just have to make my grades stellar from here on out, I wish my old immature self didn't stick with my current more mature dedicated self. This must be what it feels like to have a bad credit score that you're trying to fix.

Same happened to me. 2.6 CGPA and 3.4 School GPA. I think it cost me a pilot slot :bash:

Guest Buckeye14

Same happened to me. 2.6 CGPA and 3.4 School GPA. I think it cost me a pilot slot :bash:

Wow man, it really sucks to hear that. A 3.4 is higher than a lot of people that get slots. Did you apply for Nav/ABM as well?