AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Is there any benefit from driving to AMS and having your car with you the whole time versus flying down there? Thanks

I drove my car and I thought it was worth it. During the final week it was awesome to be able to go out for dinner (even though being asked if we were in the Coast Guard all the time sucked.) You can store unneeded crap that you'll inevitably bring and won't need in the car instead of in your footlocker. My wife flew down for graduation, then we drove home together and it was an awesome way to relax.

Guest pilotapplicant

I would try to get both jackets for the sole reason that some cold-blooded student wing commander will decide that everyone should wear jackets because it is less than 69 degrees and it creates a hassle if someone doesn't have one. Also, if you can get it issued before you commission it's free!

Cheers,

Pilotapplicant

Guest OfcrCand

I am not sure if this question was answered anywhere on here but should I worry about getting a new ID card that shows my new rank, or is it ok to attend with my current E3 card? and after graduating do you get a new ID with O1 at AMS? Thanks

Guest pilotapplicant

This is in here somewhere else but... Doesn't matter what your ID card says. You will not be issued a new CAC at AMS you will need to get a new one with Lt on it when you get back to your unit.

Guest Johnny

2008 March - Interview w/AFRC, Alternate for Sept 08 Board, Primary for March 09 Board

2008 July - Interview w/Guard, Alternate

2009 Jan - Brooks, sent by AFRC

2009 Jan - Alternate to Primary for Guard,

2009 Feb - Enlisted w/Guard

2009 March - Submitted SC application

2009 April - Guard Bureau approval and dates

2009 May - AMS

2009 Sept - IFS

not your typical timeline, took about a month for my application to get from the Guard unit to state HQ to GB to approved with dates, one of the quickest cases I've heard of

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NY-Guardsman

Thanks for the info. Some quick questions.

Socks for PT must be crew socks, no ankle socks? Also, what is your best advice on shoes and boots for wear and display? I was issued ABUs with desert boots and 2 sets of low quarters (not sure why they gave me two). Can you buy coraframs for blues and lose the other two issued pairs? Thanks for your time.

I just graduated last week. some changes recently made: cell phones are now allowed in phase 3. all 3rd Lieutenant phase adds is no more marching in formation.

for uniform items to bring, here's what i recommend. it may seem like a lot on some of the items, but there's a minimum number of items that must be displayed at all times in order to not get gigged on an inspection. the idea is to not have to worry about laundry during the week.

3 BDU/ABU

7 brown/black t-shirts - 2 min display (black is very hot standing in the sun for 4 hours during parade practice)

4 white v-neck t-shirts - 2 min display

7 pairs BDU socks - 2 min display

4-5 pairs PT socks - 2 min display (cannot be ankle socks)

7 pairs underwear - 2 min display

2 short sleeve blues - 1 min display

2 long sleeve blues - 1 min display

3 sets of PT shorts and shirts - min 1 display

Thanks for the info. Some quick questions.

Socks for PT must be crew socks, no ankle socks? Also, what is your best advice on shoes and boots for wear and display? I was issued ABUs with desert boots and 2 sets of low quarters (not sure why they gave me two). Can you buy coraframs for blues and lose the other two issued pairs? Thanks for your time.

No ankle socks. You only need one pair of low quarters and yes you can buy/wear coraframs. Get rid of the leather ones. Things may change for you but the only item that needed a min of 2 displayed was underwear. Have fun being the last class of AMS.

Guest buck1082

Hey guys,

I'll be flying down and therefor won't have my car to store extra uniforms in. Where can you keep extra stuff so that you only have what you need in your rooms? I think I remember reading somewhere that you can keep stuff at the laundromat but I'm not sure. Also, as for suitcases and bags - after you set up your rooms where should you put this stuff? Can it stay in your room or will you be gigged.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest Viper Style 09

So I have been training for AMS for some time now. I work out at least five times a week and always do cardio, lift weights, and also train for the pushups and situps. When arriving to AMS I know that they check your weight, and if you are overweight, you are kicked out before you even start. I am 6' 2" and weigh right around 200 lbs, give or take a few pounds. I am not fat (I mean I don't have a beer belly or a double chin), but am scared that I might be classified as overweight at AMS. Does anybody know what the maximum weight is that they will send you packing from AMS?

So I have been training for AMS for some time now. I work out at least five times a week and always do cardio, lift weights, and also train for the pushups and situps. When arriving to AMS I know that they check your weight, and if you are overweight, you are kicked out before you even start. I am 6' 2" and weigh right around 200 lbs, give or take a few pounds. I am not fat (I mean I don't have a beer belly or a double chin), but am scared that I might be classified as overweight at AMS. Does anybody know what the maximum weight is that they will send you packing from AMS?

The AMS requirements are pulled directly from the AF fitness requirements, so take a look at those. They recently changed the standards, but at 74 inches you should be good up to 214lbs. They will definitely send you home for being overweight or incapable of passing the fitness test, no exceptions.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest YoFlyZone

For those UPT candidates waiting on AMS dates....Have you all gone to Brooks yet or does that get scheduled with your AMS dates and so forth?? Been waiting for a month and have heard nothing since my packet left for the state HQ.

Guest Viper Style 09

Yea that is the same thing I heard as well. I was told that NGB has been known to schedule AMS before Brooks due to the wait time in the medical. All in all, I never thought I would be excited to go get my ass kicked....but AMS can't come soon enough. My unit just got deployed to Iraq early this month, so I don't know what that is going to do for my dates. My POC was one that got deployed too, so my dates could possibly be sitting on his desk and I won't know until he gets back...SUCKS! But I can't wait to get down there so we can all rip it up.

Guest YoFlyZone

How are you all finding out about your dates...by the mail, phone, or POC? I am asking since my POC is about to be deployed.

My POC gave me my dates. But I knew before hand because I kept in constant contact with an officer in personnel. So if you had any questions I would bug them about it. So it seems I will see some of you January 11 then

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thawkpa38

Non prior here with a quick question on uniforms. What is the ABU Coat? I have the APEC but am not sure what the coat is. I was only aware of the blouse.

Guest OfcrCand

Non prior here with a quick question on uniforms. What is the ABU Coat? I have the APEC but am not sure what the coat is. I was only aware of the blouse.

You only need the blouse, and the Apex there is no coat.

My unit gave me 5 nametapes total including the ones I had sewn to my ABU's. I have 3 extra unused. Is this the same situation for you?

You do not need name tapes for anything, all you need is what is sewn on your uniforms.

Guest cruzn52

I am a new enlistee and have attended a few UTA's. I am still waiting for a slot to open for basic and a few non rated officer positions have opened up. I am thinking about applying. From what I have read people are going to AMS without any prior experience.

If selected I would not go to basic training correct? In the AMS course do they teach all of the basic information that is taught at basic such as drilling, marching, etc. since some people there have already gone through basic.

Thanks.

Guest OfcrCand

I am a new enlistee and have attended a few UTA's. I am still waiting for a slot to open for basic and a few non rated officer positions have opened up. I am thinking about applying. From what I have read people are going to AMS without any prior experience.

If selected I would not go to basic training correct? In the AMS course do they teach all of the basic information that is taught at basic such as drilling, marching, etc. since some people there have already gone through basic.

Thanks.

If you are selected for an Officer Position (college degree required)you will go straight to AMS. At AMS you are expected to know everything to become an officer you will learn as you go. They will not hold training sessions for marching per say, but they will correct you when you do soemthing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pilotapplicant

On the weight question: They use a height vs weight chart. You can be flabby as long as you are underweight for your height. I am 5'9" and if I remember correctly my max weight on the chart was 193. If you are over the max weight for your height they measure your neck and waist and go to another chart that approximates your body fat content. The two measurements have to calculate to a body fat of 20%. Since this is not a very accurate way to do body fat calculation some stocky men will need to have an actual body fat of about 12-14% to "meet the tape." I had to do it and I had to lose a couple inches off my waist before AMS. If you are within a few pounds of your max weight I would say just lose the weight. If you are twenty pounds over and fit then buy a tape measure and make sure you are under. Also make sure you keep it off the whole time at AMS as they weigh/tape you again the final week. The good thing is that after you commission you never need to meet height/weight requirements again except as a component of the PT test and the new PT test standards that become effective in January allow max waist measurement points up to 36" instead of 32"

I commissioned via AMS in November 08 so this info is based on policy at that time.

I have included a link to the reg for body fat calculation here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/130803p.pdf

Edited by pilotapplicant

Guest chase34f

Just got picked up and waiting on my Brooks date- how long (days?) was the physical?

how long and involved were your security clearances?

a) secret or top secret?

Just got picked up and waiting on my Brooks date- how long (days?) was the physical?

how long and involved were your security clearances?

a) secret or top secret?

You get a Secret Clearance and a promotion to E-5 for AMS. I've got picked up in April, got my paperwork to NGB 3ish wks ago, anxiously waiting and praying to the gods above for a class date in January. Got my Secret Clearance waiting for BMT to become a Load. That was one jump I got out of the way early. Incidentally, I enlisted to be a Load over a year ago now, never got to BMT due to selection for UPT, and have not done anything for that except show up for UTAs. I am however one year closer to my 20-30 that I hope this career will be!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Black Baron

When I got my dates the email said: AMS/OTS JAN 11. From my understanding, they have already merged them together but kept it at 6 weeks. That is why they only have 4 classes a year with 125 students in each class.

OTS is the Officer Training School. This is the name of the school that includes all Air Force officer training.

AMS is the Academy of Military science, the ANG commisioning source

BOT is Basic Officer Training, the Active Duty and Reserve commissioning source

COT is commissioned officer training, 5 week training for all professional Air Force officers. (JAG, medical, Chaplain)

AMS is now at OTS, Maxwell AFB, Alabama. The Air Force's plan is to merge BOT and AMS into an 8 week course. This is still a ways away though. Since the move to Maxwell from Maghee-Tyson, AMS is still trying to work out the kinks in training.

The reason that AMS is only offered 4 times a year is becuase it takes a lot of time to prep for a new class and it wears on the instructors to push anymore than 4 classes per year. Also, my class started with 125 and graduated 119...All guard members.

I just graduated 4 days ago, good luck in January. Let me know if you have any questions about AMS.

Here is a link to the OTS website. http://www.au.af.mil...r/OTS/index.asp

At the bottom right hand side, you will see the AMS Link that will have lots of AMS info you.

To find the FY 2010 class dates, click on the "Class Dates" button under the OTS Quick Links

Then click on the "FY10 Class Dates" button. This will open a PDF document with all of the OTS class dates

AMS:

January 11-Febuary 19

March 15-April 23

Good luck on everything. It's a long 6 weeks, but it's well worth it!

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Toro