AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

I interviewed in FEB and received my dates on 19may for the AMS class that starts next month. I'm prior service so that may have helped with the fast turn around.

Edited by Drewd

@Guard_Guy

A year seems a little extreme - is this the norm? Was this because of Guard Bureau dragging their feet or did your orderly section take their sweet time to submit the request?

@Drewd

So, realistically, if I interviewed and was notified of selection Jul 2, what class date would I most likely receive? Is there no standard timeframe?

I really don't understand how the process works after selection.

Thanks

@Drewd

So, realistically, if I interviewed and was notified of selection Jul 2, what class date would I most likely receive? Is there no standard timeframe?

I really don't understand how the process works after selection.

acks1661,

I don't think there is a standard timeframe. It all depends on how fast your paperwork gets approved at the state and NGB levels. Also, depends on how many people are waiting for a slot ahead of you.

Edited by Drewd

From what I have seen, a year from selection is typical for a class start date. I was selected Oct '13 and am heading to class 15-01. The timeline is due to FC1, TS/SCI investigation, Your unit, NGB. A lot of work goes through before your date is issued... For what it's worth.

I received my dates last week. I was selected Apr 2013 and will go to AMS 15-03 in Jan 2015. I agree with the about a year from hire to class. My experience was not what I would call normal even for a non-prior. Seems like paperwork can get "stuck" in places along the way. Like Gibson said there is a lot of work.

Lesson learned.

Good Luck 15-01! I wish I was going with you!

Hey Everyone, Class 15-01 here!

Looking forward to meeting my other classmates, and thanks to all the graduates that have posts some amazing information on this thread!!!!

I called the AMS help-desk and inquired about coats and whether they were required to have for inspection purposes due to our class 15-01 running into October. The answer i received went something along the lines of, "you'll find out when you get here." So with that being said, I'm bringing my coats and tossing them in my car if they're not required. If any of you are flying in and don't have a car with you feel free to use mine as a storage closet as well. t-minus 1 month! :salut:

Suggest reading previous advice. If you don't have it... its not inspect-able, get it? Obviously don't have an empty closet, but have in there what you are being expected to wear in the first few weeks.

And the "Youll find out when you get here" will be after you lose access to your car. Overall, this is very minute. Don't over-think things. There will plenty other larger, big-picture items to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning on renting the Mess Dress. Quick questions:

How much does it cost to rent?

At what part during AMS can you go over and get it all settled? (measured, pick up)

Did most people rent or purchase their own?

Purchased mine and they just added it to the required item list as of 5 Aug.

Anyone from the last 8 week course remember when they had family and friends arrive in town for graduation? Wed or Thursday?

Graduation was on Wednesday for us. Some family arrived Monday, some arrived Tuesday. Either way, it was retarded, because you could hardly see them. I think Monday we were pretty busy until 4pm, so I guess you could get in your blues and meet them off base. Tuesday they could come for an hour or so for the orientation, but Tuesday was jam packed with dumb activities. We had to be there for awards ceremony, then had about 90-120 mins before showing up to Dining out. Which ended at 10p and we had to be back in dorms by 1145. No staying off base.

Long story short, my fam came in at noon the day before graduation, and I didn't get to see them until right before dining out for a few minutes, and then after the graduation ceremony.

I purchased mine since it is required for UPT as well anyway. Guy at my squadron was in the first 8 week course and said they give you plenty of time to take care of the Mess Dress whether you decide to rent/buy (caution: they overcharge on alteration prices).

Thanks Gibson, good to know. I didn't get approval from my unit to buy until last week, too late to buy and get altered before the drive. My unit will reimburse me, so alterations will be ok ;0) See you in a few days!

Thanks for the response.

At any time during AMS after Phase 1 are you allowed to use your personal computer to Skype with family or is internet usage restricted throughout all 7.5 weeks?

Lol you can skype the entire time, unless your roommate sucks. They dont monitor that stuff, facetime on the phone is probably a bit safer just do it at night and be quiet its no big deal. They know we do it, they know everything that goes on just stay in your room and dont go walking around the hallways on your phone and youll be fine.

• Upvote 1