AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

My $0.02

I was told that nothing really starts moving until after the FC1 at WP. Apparently that is a hurdle that some applicants cannot cross and units want to know this before putting a package together (which takes time) to send to the guard bureau for class assignment .

I received AMS and UPT dates at the same time.

Again, it varies from unit to unit.

Best of luck

No need for a alarm at all...if you let him, a guy will come wake you up on the first morning...he'll be very helpful with suggestions on what to do with the few minutes you'll need to wake up, get dressed, hit the head, make up your bed, etc. Now, he'll be adamant that you move with purpose, that you pay close attention to his suggestions...and there will be many suggestions, delivered quickly...

You probably will learn enough that first morning to not need him to come back the next day..

Good luck...and try to remember to have fun!!(when permitted)

• Upvote 1

My AMS advice/info:

-The dorms and academic building have WiFi throughout, and they encourage you to bring laptops/tablets to class for note taking. Do it. It'll make studying for the test much simpler if you have been taking notes as class has been going on. On a practical note, note taking during class will help you stay awake.

-They are transitioning to Blackboard. It's not perfect. However, it did cut down on the "need" for a printer. Printers are still useful, but not necessary. I didn't bring one, but enough guys in my flight did that we could take care of whatever we needed. There is a multi-thousand dollar printer/scanner/fax machine on each floor... broke for the entire duration of the course.

-Bring a mouse. The laptops they provide you in the dorm room don't have one. You can work much quicker with a mouse. My roommate was a prior Comm guy and said it was fine to plug in to a govt laptop, so I did

-It's been said before, but have everything pressed and altered before showing up. Getting to the alterations shop is a PITA. It's off the OTS complex, therefore you have to get dressed up in blues and make it there after your duty day ends and before their shop closes. Also, cut all the cables off your uniform before you get there.

-Everyone has an additional duty. Don't be the Requirements Officer. It's that simple.

-Prior Es: For your flight photo and graduation, you'll wear and oak leaf cluster on your Basic Training Ribbon. Plan accordingly, because your flight photo is midway through the course, but you can't walk around wearing the OLC before you graduate. I brought two racks, and put the OLC on one.

-Finally, previous posters have suggested using the dry cleaners for storage of uniforms. The dry cleaners is off the OTS complex, so, again, it's a PITA to pick it up. Instead, store them in your car (which is on the OTS complex, so you can walk there in PT or ABUs) or a friends car. You have access to your car after the first two weeks or so.

It's not hard, it just sucks at times.

ETA: The laptops they provide you in the dorm rooms cannot be taken to class, so bring your own for class notes.

Edited by Port Dog

• 2 weeks later...

Painfully nitpicky question for the uniform Nazis: Should I order a ribbon rack with or without state ribbons? The AMS uniform packing list says to bring "ribbons (state & federal)," but AFI 36-2903 says no state ribbons while on Title 10. Same goes for IFS, UPT, and any formal school on Title 10. Has anybody been chewed out for wearing state ribbons? I'd rather avoid paying for a thin ribbon rack I might not be allowed to wear in school.

Painfully nitpicky question for the uniform Nazis: Should I order a ribbon rack with or without state ribbons? The AMS uniform packing list says to bring "ribbons (state & federal)," but AFI 36-2903 says no state ribbons while on Title 10. Same goes for IFS, UPT, and any formal school on Title 10. Has anybody been chewed out for wearing state ribbons? I'd rather avoid paying for a thin ribbon rack I might not be allowed to wear in school.

I don't have a ton of ribbons, but I've always thought it makes more sense to wear less... What's going to happen if you wear less than you've earned? Nothing. What's going to happen if you wear the ones you're not sure about? Maybe nothing, but maybe something. "Err on the side of caution."

If anyone gets any intel on the AMS dates starting around August (and later), will you post them?

Additionally, with the AF announcing they are cancelling a number of OTS classes, will that affect AMS dates (such as adding more during the summer)?

Just got my dates for March class.

Also got a whole slew of attachments and forms to fill out. An excel spreadsheet with 30 columns of random info to fill out, a computer account form, and a blurb about having to bring an Airmans Manual? You all get the same thing?

Also, nothing about having to take a PT test. And it's about 30 days out now...

Edited by rancormac

I also recently received dates for the 23 Mar class (along with 2 others in my unit). I think it is clear at this point that the class has changed to 7.5 weeks. What is not clear is the reasoning behind this change and how it will affect the class syllabus, etc. What do we now have the privilege of completing in the additional 1.5 weeks?

I have not received a slew of attachments and forms, excel spreadsheet or computer account form, but I did catch the blurb about having to bring an Airman’s Manual. I was provided the same documents that are available to view/download on the AMS website: AMS Syllabus, OTS Manual, AMS Supplement and uniforms checklist. I also received a couple emails stating “since the AMS website is down…” Don’t know what that is about; it seems to be fine. http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/AMS/index.asp

All these forms are dated prior to the change in course length, so I am wondering how much if any of them will change.

Biggest concern at this point is passing my upcoming FCI on 10 Mar with flying colors. There is practically zero wiggle room between then and the start of AMS on 23 Mar!

FWIW: I do not have UPT dates at this point. I was told to expect them while at AMS.

Also, nothing about having to take a PT test. And it's about 30 days out now...

You'll need a PT test....pretty sure. I'm doing one next weekend. (currently enlisted)

AMS candidates will be administered an official Air Force fitness test no earlier than two months (60 days) prior to an no later than one week (7 days) prior to their

departure from home station for their respective course.

I'll be there 23 MAR as well. See you guys there.

FWIW and some SA for everybody the guard sent dudes and dudettes through the two OTS/BOT summer classes last year with active duty and reserve. And from what I understand it went better than expected, and outside some paperwork type issues the integration was fine. I don't know for sure but I'm willing to bet that the increase in class length is to ease the shock of the two courses merging. It is what it is. An extra 3 weeks sucks but most on here are going to UPT or UNT so an extra 3 weeks in the scheme of what's ahead shouldn't really matter.

Edited by ff615