AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

People tend to read to much into the question. Just remember on the scenario questions that it's what the AF and curriculum says you should do, not what common sense tells you to do. Know your own learning method and stick with it. We had several large study groups that I stayed away from because they tended to get off track or focus on topics that I might not have been having trouble with. For me, flash cards with the SOBs were perfect.

Briefings and papers were stupid easy. They are graded on requirements sheet that you get a copy of before. If your paper/brief have everything the sheet says it needs, you win. Content doesn't matter and they let you cite the work in the most easiest way possible.

Also, Wait for the flight commanders to wake you up on day 1. On day 2, better have an alarm set, don't wait for them to wake you... They won't.

People tend to read to much into the question. Just remember on the scenario questions that it's what the AF and curriculum says you should do, not what common sense tells you to do. Know your own learning method and stick with it. We had several large study groups that I stayed away from because they tended to get off track or focus on topics that I might not have been having trouble with. For me, flash cards with the SOBs were perfect.

Briefings and papers were stupid easy. They are graded on requirements sheet that you get a copy of before. If your paper/brief have everything the sheet says it needs, you win. Content doesn't matter and they let you cite the work in the most easiest way possible.

Also, Wait for the flight commanders to wake you up on day 1. On day 2, better have an alarm set, don't wait for them to wake you... They won't.

Thanks for that info, would you recommend studying the hawk, OTSMAN's or anything else prior to arrival?

OTSMAN tells you how to do everything you need to know, such as how to get in the chow hall for meals. It also tells you what you can/cannot do during certain phases of training. Know it.

HAWK is bullshit info they give you as a distraction. Know as much of it as you have time for, definitely should be the very lowest on your priority list.

Thanks for that info, would you recommend studying the hawk, OTSMAN's or anything else prior to arrival?

OTSMAN tells you how to do everything you need to know, such as how to get in the chow hall for meals. It also tells you what you can/cannot do during certain phases of training. Know it.

HAWK is bullshit info they give you as a distraction. Know as much of it as you have time for, definitely should be the very lowest on your priority list.

Know the OTSMAN? Ehh...I don't know about that. You definitely will reference it and you will use it often. But, I definitely wouldn't waste too much time trying to "know it." No matter how well you memorize or how many times you review the OTSMAN, you are going to get yelled at. There is just no way around it. So, sure, you can memorize the dinning room procedures, marching, or column of files (which is in the HAWK)...you are still going to get yelled at because you or someone else will mess something up. I just wouldn't waste my time.

Know the OTSMAN? Ehh...I don't know about that. You definitely will reference it and you will use it often. But, I definitely wouldn't waste too much time trying to "know it." No matter how well you memorize or how many times you review the OTSMAN, you are going to get yelled at. There is just no way around it. So, sure, you can memorize the dinning room procedures, marching, or column of files (which is in the HAWK)...you are still going to get yelled at because you or someone else will mess something up. I just wouldn't waste my time.

Cool. Sounds like your class had a vastly different experience than my class.

Being yelled at or not, I don't like looking like a dumbass in front of people for not knowing simple shit they told me to know and even gave me a book about.

YMMV.

Question for everyone. I am in the Nov 2 class and I am getting all of my uniform items around. I was issued some boots that are standard issue from the Air Force, but they are uncomfortable and nothing like my everyday boots that I wear.

Do I have to wear the issued boots to AMS or can I just wear the ones I already have? Will I be singled out as the only person with Rocky's when everyone else has the issued items?

I may be thinking too much into this, if so just let me know.

Matt

Question for everyone. I am in the Nov 2 class and I am getting all of my uniform items around. I was issued some boots that are standard issue from the Air Force, but they are uncomfortable and nothing like my everyday boots that I wear.

Do I have to wear the issued boots to AMS or can I just wear the ones I already have? Will I be singled out as the only person with Rocky's when everyone else has the issued items?

I may be thinking too much into this, if so just let me know.

Matt

You don't have to wear the boots that are issued. You can wear the ones you already have, assuming they are within regs. You won't be singled out. Yes, you are thinking too much into this.

Edited by JakeFSU

So what's the current situation with computers? My plan was to bring a laptop and printer. I'd also bring CD-RWs so that I have a way of getting files onto a government computer (I don't have an Air Card or smartphone hotspot, so I don't see another way to get files from my personal laptop onto a government computer). Thanks.

Just my .02¢, but I took a computer with me in 2011 and didn't use it at all. It just took up extra space in my security drawer. The CD-RW's are definitely helpful with not being able to use flash drives, but as with everything, YMMV.

The male uniform checklist have the all weather coat in the list, maybe recent graduates can answer this question.

What is the requirement for PT socks? Ankle socks or crew socks?

I went through in March. Apparently, we were the first class that didn't used the All Weather Coat. No one displayed them. Everyone stored them in there car's. As for the ankle socks vs crew socks, no one cared. I wore ankle socks. But, whatever socks you wear has to be displayed properly. Ankle socks were a little harder to roll at first. But, you get the hang of it.

I just graduated this month. We didn't need the all weather coat and it wasn't on the required uniform items from the holm center website either. Ankle socks were required for us. The whole campus is going wireless and using blackboard for submitting assignments so the use of personal laptops and tablets was encouraged and able to be used from day 1.

• Upvote 1

I had one of each blues item while I was there. You will only wear your blues a couple times. You will have 2 open ranks in blues with only 1 of them being full service, then you will not wear blues until graduation week. You will possibly need blues to walk around base during phase 2, but our class submitted a memo to wear ABU's which got approved so we didn't have to wear blues on base at all.

• Upvote 1

Ha, sure is. I had a mix of white boxers and multi-colored ones and it wasn't problem. But I will say "whitey-tighties" are way easier to fold than boxers are. I'd bring a few pair of each and never touch/wear the whitey-tighties in your drawer. But to each his own.

• Upvote 1

I cut the netting out of all PT shorts a long time ago. Will this be a problem for inspection purposes? Is it worth buying new?

Also has anyone used a macbook during AMS? Any compatibility issues?

Also, should I leave my wedding rings at home?

Thank you!

Leaving for AMS this week. Class date is 2 NOV...anyone else?

Edited by jcamerli

No, not having the netting in your PT shorts isn't a big deal. No need to buy new if you don't have to. They are only inspected while folded up inside your pt drawer.

I brought my macbook to AMS but hardly used it. The government laptop provided is connected via ethernet cable to the wall and their isn't wireless. So their isn't really anything to be compatible/incompatible with. You never connect your personal laptop to anything.

You can bring your wedding rings. A lot of guys wore them throughout training. Their is a few days (i.e. the days you complete the Leadership Reaction Course) you can't wear jewelry of any kind. On those days you will just put wedding rings, watches, etc in your security drawer.