AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Just graduated 04MAY2012. Pending a few approvals over the summer the AMS program will be combined with OTS and changed to a 9 week program. We were told that we would likely be the last AMS class.

God that sucks. 6 weeks was long enough.

I was there too, and, if the new merger program is as close as the staff made it sound, I feel for the Guard guys from this point on. Six weeks was plenty, and after seeing the BOT program, it looks like they just fill 13 weeks with wearing PT gear everywhere and yelling out "TD" knowledge before meals. After seeing AMS and BOT side-by-side, there is no way I would want to do BOT.

Just graduated 04MAY2012. Pending a few approvals over the summer the AMS program will be combined with OTS and changed to a 9 week program. We were told that we would likely be the last AMS class.

My AMS class dates are still sitting at 6 weeks. If they've already released dates do you think they'd still push to 9 weeks? Congratulations to all the 2nd Lieutenants! :beer:

To me it sounded like it will definitely be a Total Force training program in the near future, but also that there's a lot of red tape to overcome yet. The explanation my flight got was that it would be cheaper for the Federal budget (dropping from 13 weeks to 9), but the States are pushing back some, because it would increase the training time/cost of Guard guys 50%...

Don't know if that is actually the case, but that's how it was explained.

• 1 month later...

Question - I know most units hire from within when sending people to AMS, however I do know some AMS bubbas who were right off the street for non-rated positions. Does anyone have any gouge on how to search out these openings? Anything more convenient than calling up and asking?

Question - I know most units hire from within when sending people to AMS, however I do know some AMS bubbas who were right off the street for non-rated positions. Does anyone have any gouge on how to search out these openings? Anything more convenient than calling up and asking?

Beats calling up.

http://www.goang.com/OfficerCareers

But you'll probably still have to.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are we allowed to bring compression shorts to wear under your PT shorts? If so, do they need to be displayed in your room? I thought I had seen this answered somewhere on here before, but a search turned up nothing.

You can bring them and probably put them in with your underwear. Flight stand-o's can write memos for logical needs.

Talked with the staff in October and it doesn't sound like AMS will be switching to 9 weeks anytime soon. Supposedly right now they've bumped the AMS curiculuum up by 30% and they'll be running BOT at 9 weeks in the near future. Of course these things can change with the drop of a hat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey I am at AMS and am worried about the first PT...ive never failed before and have flown throw past tests, but i strained a stomach muscle during a workout a coupel days ago and am worried i may fail sit ups....is there a way to disclose this information with out getting kicked otu or will they fail me out of AMS immediatly?

• 3 weeks later...

March 31st here.

How strict are they on the push ups? I have never failed a test, but one of our lts here is in really good shape and said they no-counted about 1/3 of his push ups when he thought he was close.

How does it work? Do we count each other? Is there a certain degree leniancy? I only ask because everyone strives for 90 degress but in that last 20 seconds...a few slip by haha.