AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Guest schmidl

Hi. My husband recently left for AMS and I am hoping that someone (or more) could give me information on the AMS graduation ceremony. Also if anyone has any additional information on traditions or military etiquette that would be beneficial is also greatly appreciated. Military life is new to me and when I see my husband graduation weekend I would like to be prepared.

Guest klutzcdh

No worries, you won't need to do anything special as far as militay etiquette goes. Just enjoy seeing him again after 6 weeks! The ceremony is at 10 AM (I think) and last about 2 hours.

Guest borcherk

My husband graduated 6 months or so ago. Usually on Friday evening you can expect a sit down dinner. Its a formal event and you can expect to wear your Sunday best all the way up to semi-formal. It really will run the gammet b/c you have so many people from so many backgrounds.

Saturday morning you can expect to have an outdoors demonstration on the parade field of the marching (which they have been perfecting each day). After that you will proceed indoors for the graduation. Its just like high school and college. Each persons name will be called, they go up on stage and receive their wings and certificate. Sunday dress, pants and blouse are fine for Saturday. I hope this helps. Write back if you have any other questions.

Originally posted by bailey:

My husband graduated 6 months or so ago. Usually on Friday evening you can expect a sit down dinner. Its a formal event and you can expect to wear your Sunday best all the way up to semi-formal. It really will run the gammet b/c you have so many people from so many backgrounds.

Saturday morning you can expect to have an outdoors demonstration on the parade field of the marching (which they have been perfecting each day). After that you will proceed indoors for the graduation. Its just like high school and college. Each persons name will be called, they go up on stage and receive their wings and certificate. Sunday dress, pants and blouse are fine for Saturday. I hope this helps. Write back if you have any other questions.

Just a couple of changes. The Graduation Banquet is on THURSDAY of week 6, with the parade and graduation ceremony on FRIDAY. The banuqet is usually around 6pm, and festivities start Friday morning with the ANG state oath of office being administered in the squadron day rooms at 0800, followed by the parade at 0900 and graduation at 1000. The events will normally be done by 1200-1230 and everyone will be free to go.

No need for a full-length floor gown, but please don't wear a bare midriff and spandex shorts. Well...the guys wouldn't mind, but it's pretty tacky. I've seen it happen and was embarassed for the girl wearing it! Sitting in a room with 800 people looking like she just rolled out of bed...

One last thing...I'm sure Bailey is getting caught up in the UPT mindset, but the graduates get "2LT BARS" when they cross the stage at AMS, not "WINGS".

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I just have a question about UPT and AMS dates. My unit currently has 2 upt slots for June 05 and two for July 05. A few of the guys i've talked two in the unit say its possible that i could go to UPT during one of those months. The question I have is, does our AMS date depend on when our UPT date is? or Do we get our AMS date taken care of first than the UPT date? I would appreciate any input. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

• 3 months later...

For thos who have been through it:

Overall, what was the most difficult part of AMS? If you had it to do over again, what is it that would like to have known before you ever got there? Does anyone ever 'washout'? If so, what is the washout rate? What happens if you are injured during training? What would you suggest to do to prepare for AMS (physically & mentally)?

Thanks,

Nacho

First of all are you prior service? If you are prior service (and probably if you arent) AMS is pretty much a joke. It sucks for the first week or so, just cause of the culture shock of getting yelled at and having to hurry everywhere and stuff, but then it really relaxes. In my class we had 2 people get the boot for grades. They made it all the way through and got booted like a week before commissioning because they failed the last test. We started with I think 100 people and graduated with about 97, one of the others SIE'd for family reasons. If you are injured, you can come back for a future AMS class. Any other questions feel free to PM me, everything is relitavely fresh cause I just got commissioned in november.

Guest JoeMama

I was in the same class as Lucky, and I'm a non-prior.

For me, the stuff I thought would be hard (PT, getting yelled at) ended up being a joke. The yelling wasn't very convincing at all.

As far as PT, just make sure you can pass the PFT when you get there so you don't end up on their radar for PT. I did a bunch of pushups in sets of 20 or 30 before I got there, and frankly, I felt like I did less pushups at AMS than preparing at home (although our squadron had to do about 200 pushups one night...which was kinda fun). They make you do pushups in sets of 5...it's a joke.

The hard parts (at least for me, a non-prior) were being away from home, the constant supervision/loss of privacy, and being treated like a child.

I'm sure the prior service people will laugh at this, but trying to call home, first waiting for your turn at the phone, and second talking to your wife with a bunch of people sitting around listening to your conversation got old quick. Take advantage of the Chaplain's offer to march over to Patriot Hall and use his office phones in private for as long as you want to...that helped a lot.

As Lucky alluded to, the MOST important thing to focus on is your academic average (the 2 people who failed out didn't just fail the last test..they had failing averages before the last test and didn't bring their averages up).

The people who blew off the first test had a very stressful last 3 weeks. If your academic average is lower than the cutoff for graduation, they will kick you out..period! Your squadron mates will beg them not to, and your FA will write a nice letter on your behalf, asking for special consideration, and you'll still get kicked out. Bottom line..study for that first test, and prepare your memos and briefings !exactly! how they want you to...and don't go over or under time on your briefings!

Finally, dorm maintenance was a VERY annoying distractor. You need to follow the procedures for setting up your dorm room, and try to make dorm maintenance a routine (do exactly the same thing every morning/evening). It's annoying because that first 2 weeks, they'll ALWAYS find something to yell at you and make you do pushups for. Our squadron in particular wasted too much time with meeting after meeting to organize our dorm rooms and squadron better (and we still got yelled at and had to do pushups)...that time should have been spent studying..take the beatings on dorm maintenance and make sure you and your squadron mates are studying.

Last but not least, to make your life easier, make sure everyone in your squadron knows how important security violations are...if anyone in your squadron has a security violation, the whole squadron will pay (the punishments basically include taking away privileges in the 3rd week or so as well as giving you a lot of extra work...which takes time away from STUDYING).

Physically, prepare by working up to 60 pushups at a time for the PFT...running a mile and a half as close to 9:36 as possible...making sure you meet the height/weight standards (someone was sent home the first day for being overweight)..and doing 50 or 60 situps in a min.

Mentally, just relax until you get there, and once you get there follow directions carefully and study for that first test.

Hope I covered everything....good luck, and let me know if you have anymore specific questions. It's a longer 6 weeks than you'd think, but you'll look back on it when it's all over and wonder why you let them stress you out so much. Try to have fun!

Jordan

• 1 year later...

Are their any set policies for off base privileges during AMS? To be more specific, I’m worried I will have AMS dates that will conflict with my friends wedding, forcing me to miss it as best man. I know the AF comes first and a ton of sacrifices will need to be made throughout my career. I was wondering if this would definitely be the first, or there are some off base privileges allowed and something might be able to be worked out.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CrewDawg1

Guys/Girls - The first week everything will be wrong no matter what you do. Then you will get the swing of things and it gets better. Trust me it's not a hard process. Take the first test seriously and life will be much better. Don't be that guy that takes AMS way to serious and most people start hating you. If your lucky you'll be like E and F squadron from the last class, ya we both may have gotten gonged off the stage at the dining in, but we had more fun pulling pranks on each other. Be careful of the squadrons who have no sense of humor and try to win every award there is, they don't take pranks to well. Have fun, learn what you can, cooperate and graduate. Goodluck to you Jan. AMS guy/girls.<---- See I did learn something at AMS!! MEO would be so happy!

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice for the blind folks who depend on contacts ? Will I have a few moments on Day of Trng #1 after the doors are beat down to throw my lens in quickly ? If its like BMT, I assume the doors will get quietly tapped on ha ha, we'll form up in the hallway, get yelled at then sent back to the rooms with an unrealistic time constraint for for sh shower and shave and contact insert if req.

That check ?

tks much

Trailmix- I'm driving POV in comfy civies. No reason to wear a uniform even if you're flying in on orders. Technically you can if ya wanna try and pick up chicks on the way in, but once you hit the AMS campus you'll paint a big pic on everyones radar--plus you'll have to wear you're stripes. Thats one extra piece of uniform you gotta figure out how to ger rid off come Monday morning. Remember you'll wear slick sleaves.

2.) I'm bringing both and a coat bag for my pre pressed stuff. You'll probably need the duffel for Patriot Challenge. I may dump the suitcase in my car once we get that priveledge.

3.) Dryclean and wash them several times between now and then. Heck, take'em huntin or fishin. You'll give the new uniforms a chance to get broken in and their strings a chance to "grow" out. Just make sure you cut them:) If you dump a batch off at the BX on Sat the earliest you'll get it back would be tues. I for one wouldn't want to have only 2 pairs not knowing when I will have a chance to pick them up.

BTW- I'm up vacationing in the Smokey Mtns about 30m from Knoxville. Sure hope this weather holds up! I just got back from an evening run. Temps in the low 60s and I broke a small sweat towards the end !!

Guest downinthegroove

Do not travel in your uniform. you do not start AMS until monday morning. try and get your uniforms cleaned and pressed before you show up. who cares about your travel luggage, I brought mine in cardboard boxes. have fun when you get there and don't sweat your room too much. it will be wrong anyway and it will take the shoeclerks 2 weeks on how to over analyze the AFI's and get it right. Relax.

I third the don't travel in uniform. You'll appreciate having civilian clothes if you go out prior to class or after commissioning--I changed in the parking lot.

Someone mentioned the epaulets earlier. If that hasn't been answered, it is referring to the material, not the rank on the service coat. My rommie showed up with an enlisted coat that did not have epaulets. Dumb luck saved him for open ranks, because the Cardinals had won their world series game (4-3, IIRC) the night before and the major either didn't notice or didn't care about uniforms that day. Of course, he got it corrected prior to week six. (On that note, GU--hell no! I think I only used the iron twice the whole time I was there. Your roommate even jokingly commented that it was a good thing I'll be wearing bags most of my career, because I looked like shit in an actual uniform. No telling how many times your neighbor got pissed because my hat was on crooked or the hood on my field jacket was jacked up. My hair is now out of reg, and not a soul has said a word, not even a GO. Check e-mail for unrelated banter.)

Don't worry about luggage. You won't see it for six weeks. If you take everything that is on the list, you will be good to go. Everything for PC will be provided. HI HO, HI HO...

vsu (Valdosta State?)--you anywhere near Seveirville? I was up there (Wears Valley) before my class started, right as the leaves were changing. Absolutely gorgeous!

Originally posted by Intel2be:

How much cash should one take to AMS? Are ATMs accessable?

Not as much as the website says. $100, maybe.

Yes at the BX and the club, but the service fees are high. Two bucks, IIRC.

You can pay for 99% of the things you will need with a credit card. Haircuts must be cash, and it is always good to have some spare change for the snack/stay awake machines when you get the privelege. You will also need cash for coins, bars, t-shirts, etc. The cleaners take Mastercard and Visa.

Guest flightproak

You are authorized a nominal amount per day if your TDY is over 7 days (give or take). You should remind your finance folks when your do your expenses after AMS. Also, you may receive family seperation pay if you have a family (I do) and it would behoove you to get a copy of your oath before leaving AMS. This will allow your finance folks to fund your clothing allowance sooner. You do not need receipts for drycleaning to receive the allowance, BTW.

Get your BDU's pressed so that you only need to touch them up when you unpack. The first couple days will be a whirlwind. Advice heard before but worth repeating - read and know the OI's before Day 1 and don't let anal people in your SQ make/enforce unnecessary or extraneous rules. Good Luck!