AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Guest Thor-Magnus

I currently weigh 218 and expect to maybe trim 3-5 more lbs. before AMS in about 5 weeks. I'm pretty lean at 218 and I don't know if I will make that 214 chart mark.

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI36-2905.pdf

AFI 36-2905 Fitness Program Personnel

Pg. 19.

2.5. Body Composition Assessment.

2.5.1. Height and Weight.

2.5.1.1. Obtain height and weight IAW DoDI 1308.3. These measurements are not factored into

the member’s composite score.

2.5.2. Abdominal Circumference (AC).

2.5.2.1. The AC measurement is used to obtain the body composition component score. The use

of AC measurement has been authorized by DoD to meet the body composition requirement.

See Attachment 9

Any tips on Patriot Challenge?

Have fun and work hard! Even if you're wing staff it's still a good time!

Watch out for giant spiders in the woods though. Not to freak you out or anything, but just watch out. I mean really. They are freaky huge sometimes. We lost a few people to spiders. Not really. I wouldn't have been surprised if we did though. I'm just not a fan of spiders. Black Widows too, watch out for them. Other than that, have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I am non-prior heading to AMS in a couple weeks. Just got all my uniforms issued. The blues coat has absolutely nothing on it. I do have the 'US' insignia for the lapels and the metal name tag. Is it supposed to have anything else on it?

Also, my laptop doesn't have MS Office installed. Is it still worth it to bring it along? Should I buy the software?

Thanks!

Unless you have access to a discounted download I wouldn't go spending hundreds on MS Office, it's already on the laptops at AMS. I would recommend getting an aircard, so that you can browse your own Internet.

Also, recommend you wash the non dryclean items and clip the strings and such off your uniforms.

I am non-prior heading to AMS in a couple weeks. Just got all my uniforms issued. The blues coat has absolutely nothing on it. I do have the 'US' insignia for the lapels and the metal name tag. Is it supposed to have anything else on it?

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi36-2903.pdf - see section 4.9

I am non-prior heading to AMS in a couple weeks. Just got all my uniforms issued. The blues coat has absolutely nothing on it. I do have the 'US' insignia for the lapels and the metal name tag. Is it supposed to have anything else on it? Also, my laptop doesn't have MS Office installed. Is it still worth it to bring it along? Should I buy the software? Thanks!

My coat came the same way... the official list from the AMS website says "Coat, Service, Wool/Poly w/epaulets with officer sleeve braid sewn on"... do you have the braid? I do not, after looking through everything issued to me.

My coat came the same way... the official list from the AMS website says "Coat, Service, Wool/Poly w/epaulets with officer sleeve braid sewn on"... do you have the braid? I do not, after looking through everything issued to me.

I wouldn't worry about those small issues too much. On TD1 just let your FLT/CC know first thing that you had a few issues/questions regarding your service coat and they will be more than glad to help you out :airman:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that...

It sounds like there's some time on Saturday to run around and grab extra stuff you may need if you show up early enough?

I've copied and pasted a lot of the suggestions in this thread into a Word file, and will probably use a lot of the advice/items.

Any more helpful tips on stuff to bring or things you wish you had done from someone who has gone through recently (maybe the past few classes even)?

leave next Saturday, FWIW.

Bring a Shammie (the leather cloth you wipe your car down with after washing it) and a shower wiper. You can get all of the water off the walls and door using the wiper, and then soak up the remaining water on the floor using your Shammie. Leave your door open at night to maximize drying ability.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to AMS soon, and I am overweight. I had cut weight for my FC1 and MEPS, but I don't want to do that for AMS if I don't absolutely have to, especially with the PFT shortly after weigh-ins as I understand it. Do they tape if you are over? How does the USAF determine if you are under 20%- what criteria do they use? I am short and muscular, and despite distance running, cardio, P90X, etc., I am not within the limits for my height... and I haven't been that weight since I was 15 or 16. I've had lots of people tell me not to worry, and that I'll "tape out", but I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

tlr9489, your unit should put you through a PFA 30 days out of AMS. Are you in the March 25th class? if so too late to worry now, but if we're talking about 2013, then you have plenty of time to prepare. Start with walking, and build up to running. Just gotta do it.

I see your location is Massechusetts... you wouldn't happen to know LT Barlow would you?

I am going to AMS soon, and I am overweight. I had cut weight for my FC1 and MEPS, but I don't want to do that for AMS if I don't absolutely have to, especially with the PFT shortly after weigh-ins as I understand it. Do they tape if you are over? How does the USAF determine if you are under 20%- what criteria do they use? I am short and muscular, and despite distance running, cardio, P90X, etc., I am not within the limits for my height... and I haven't been that weight since I was 15 or 16. I've had lots of people tell me not to worry, and that I'll "tape out", but I'd like to be prepared. Thanks.

as lon as you pass your pft you stay in. I wouldn't have made it through if they still did the weight, Passed the PT test and went on to graduate. with 36-2905 changing in july of 11 they took the weigh in away. you still weigh in but as far as your total score it dose not count.

Edited by Raace10

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the AMSOI's?

I don't even have my date yet but I figured I mind as well study up while im waiting.

Don't worry, you'll have about 6-9 hours a day to study once you start on Monday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Just graduated 04MAY2012. Pending a few approvals over the summer the AMS program will be combined with OTS and changed to a 9 week program. We were told that we would likely be the last AMS class.

God that sucks. 6 weeks was long enough.