AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Is there anything really important that we should know that will help us out before we attend AMS. Also, what is the phone policy there. Can we have cell phones? When can we use the phones? Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Hawaii,

You can have cell phones, but you wont be able to use them until week 5 or later. I was in the oct 5 class and we didnt get phones till damn near then end. so take it, but dont plan on using it. The phone will have to stay in your security drawer. As for the phone policy, you will get some phone priveleges in phase 2. You ARE allowed a 10 minute phone call on sunday week one. Also, you can work with the chaplain...............

Just keep in mind when your down there that its just a mind game. Do what your told and shut up. Try to organize and prioritize by what is really important (test, briefing, memo) then go from there. They are going to try and load you up with useless garbage that they themselves (the staff)dont even read. Just keep in mind the first day/week/2 weeks, that things will get better and believe it or not, you will have some fun and have some good memories to take home.

Good luck,

Summe32c

Guest Black Baron

Like Summers said, prioritize.

Tests are the most important thing down there. You have to pass 4 things in order to graduate

1. Tests (2)

2. Physical Fitness Assesment (Monday week 6)

3. Briefs (2)

4. Memos (2)

Everything else is busy work. You do have to pass your dorm inspections, but the only way to really fail that is to be a complete slob, or have a security violation.

Other important thoughts...Show up prepared. Don't spend the first 2-3 days trying to catch up.

-Ensure you have ALL of your required uniforms. Break in those new boots before you show up. You'll be marching a lot.

-Show up on Saturday...this is a must. I showed up on Sunday afternoon and I was totally behind the curve until the next Sunday.

-Do lots of push-ups, sit-ups, and run, run, run. Don't show up out of shape.

-Have a good attitude. It's 6 weeks and it sucks, but you're getting paid and you learn a ton of information.

BB

Guest flyer331

Hello everyone. For the people that have been recently accepted for AMS/UPT, how long did it take for you to get your AMS class date after you got accepted? I got accepted in June/July, got my initial Flying Class 1 at a local AD base, and now am waiting for MPF to help me out with getting on track. I'm not sure if other units have a more helpful MPF or not, and I know that it takes a while when the NGB gets a hold of 'your package'.

Just curious.......

Hello everyone. For the people that have been recently accepted for AMS/UPT, how long did it take for you to get your AMS class date after you got accepted? I got accepted in June/July, got my initial Flying Class 1 at a local AD base, and now am waiting for MPF to help me out with getting on track. I'm not sure if other units have a more helpful MPF or not, and I know that it takes a while when the NGB gets a hold of 'your package'.

Just curious.......

When the NGB finally does get your paperwork, they indeed have you by "your package." I dont think there is a set timeframe in which they have to get everything issued back out. Typically turn-around time is about 2-3 months. Some have experienced shorter, and others experience a longer wait, who knows.. My wait was only 2 months...

Check out what others have posted in the Guard reserves forum under AMS.

failed link insert...

SUMME32c

Guest Lockjaw25

From sworn in to AMS was right around 7 months for me. Then I waited 9 months for UPT. Good times!

The time varies...but most guys I've talked to have gone to AMS anywhere from 4-8 months after selection.

Plan on getting up at 5am everyday (definitely for the first 2-3 weeks) and marching to the DFAC for breakfast. Then plan on having classes for the rest of the day along with a few drill practices within the first few weeks. After dinner you'll be on your own the rest of the night with 11pm curfew during phase 1 and midnight during phase 2. During the evening, you will have plenty of meetings and academic work to keep you occupied till curfew. The first few weeks suck but get much better as the weeks go on. The last week is a lot of fun with a lot of flight/wing dinners along with graduation. If you want more detailed info, PM and I'll be glad to help ya out.

Guest Viper Style 09

How strict was the classroom setting? Are you even able to go to bathroom if need be, or are they sort of laid back. Are you in ABU's throughout the day, or do they require classroom work to be done in blues? Also, what kind of work do they assign you? I've heard that it is mostly busy work, but what sort of busy work? Thanks for the information, anything helps when you're amped up to get there.

How strict was the classroom setting? Are you even able to go to bathroom if need be, or are they sort of laid back. Are you in ABU's throughout the day, or do they require classroom work to be done in blues? Also, what kind of work do they assign you? I've heard that it is mostly busy work, but what sort of busy work? Thanks for the information, anything helps when you're amped up to get there.

They will give you a break every hour or so during the classroom setting. You will be drinking a ton of water while you are there, so breaks are frequent. Most often, when you are transitioning from one class to another or in-between classes, they will give you a 5 to 10 minutes break for the pisser.

99% of the time, UOD is ABU's. You will only wear your blues a handful of times, or when you phase, you will wear blues to go off campus or base which ever you choose.

Yes, a ton of busy work. When you start, you need to learn to prioritize! What is important and what is not so important. If you get there on Sat morning and start setting up your room with a fine tooth comb, it will make it easier for you to prioritize your busy work. Examples: type your memo that’s due, or type the 2 page reflective assignment on why it’s important to lock your security drawer. Obviously, the stuff that’s graded takes priority. Yeah, you may get yelled at or even given another assignment to do because you didn’t get it done for the very reason of graded academics, but in the end, your graded assignments are what are going to carry you through and allow you to graduate. Focus on whets graded, everything else is just to clog you up. You will hear them say "take a risk," well that’s a perfect example of one. You took a risk on getting your ass chewed because a graded assignment is more important than a two page BS assignment that he/she gave you to teach you a lesson. Get it?

Use your time wisely. I can’t stress that enough. When you get released for the day, relax for a little break and then get to it on studying. The material is not hard by any stretch, but there is a ton of it. The tests are not "rocket surgery" (that comment will make sense when you get there) however (comma) (so will that one) you need to know the material well enough to distinguish between answers.

Best advice: Make the best of it, realize that the first week and second week will end, and it will get better. Do not get discouraged, keep your cool AND **PLAY THE GAME****

Oh and when you get phase 2, don’t freak out and turn stupid. We did, and got phased back to 1..SSSUUUCKKKED!

CHEERS!

SUMME32c

EDIT: Fir Spellin

Edited by summe32c

Does anyone know if AMS is going to the new fitness program in January?

Yes it will.

Okay, I was having trouble posting a reply to the AMS topic that already existed, so I decided to start my own. If anyone can, please move mine into the correct spot. Sorry for the inconvenience.

A quick background on me. I am a civilian, have been all my life. My dad served in the Air Force for 30 years and due to the current economy, I am looking at following in his footsteps....slightly. I am almost 30 years old and I am looking at a Civil Engineering position at a nearby AFB at a GS-12 position. In order to get the position I have to join the Air National Guard as a "traditional" guardsmans (i.e. weekends and 2 weeks a year). I am being told that I would most likely have to go through AMS before starting the position. However, they are not sure. Does anyone know if that is the case? I have no prior Military experience.

Once I complete AMS, I would begin the position on the AFB. I have learned a good amount of information from the past posts about what to expect from the AMS program. Can anyone give a more detailed (civilianized) version for me? Just trying to understand exactly what I should expect.

Also, does anyone know anybody in my shoes as far as going into the military as an officer without having any prior military experience? Also, what about the next AMS dates? How do you find that out? I am assuming I probably wouldn't get in until the 2010 classes. Do we know when those start?

I would appreciate any help or information you can provide.

Thanks.

I was a non-prior going in. I am sure you will go through AMS before you continue on to you technical school to learn your job. AMS is not that bad honestly, the first 2 weeks suck but after that, its all academics and the "mind game." AMS is at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, Alabama. (Right in the fuggin ghetto) You'll get there and have no idea what you are supposed to do; believe me dude, its a cluster fvck. Find your room and get started on setting it up. Like I said, the first two weeks suck. You cant do anything right, no matter how well you do it. You will get yelled at. When week 3 starts, you will see the instructors back off a lot. Just remember that they cant touch you, cant even cuss at you, and the worst they can make you do is 5 pushups. Remember that going down there. The yelling will intimidate you no doubt at first, but after a few hours it just gets annoying and you are no longer intimidated. Follow the rules while your down there, do all your work and help out your bro where needed and you will graduate with flying colors. Its mainly geared toward academics. It's not set up to "brainwash" you like you have heard about military training so many times before. Just get through it.

As far as the training classes left this year in 2010, thats going to be up to the guard bureau. You should be submitting a packet of info to your respective unit in order to process you into training classes. Chances are that if you havent already done this, you may only be able to make the last class for 2010, if you're lucky. They will tell you when your classes and training are, its not up to you to find out. they are SUPPOSED to do it all for you, but often in the guard we end up making many phone calls trying to get the information we need pushed along.

Hope this helps. PM me if you would like additional info about AMS. This forum has much on the subject. read it.

summe32c

edited: to add profanity back in

Edited by summe32c

Okay, I was having trouble posting a reply to the AMS topic that already existed, so I decided to start my own. If anyone can, please move mine into the correct spot. Sorry for the inconvenience.

A quick background on me. I am a civilian, have been all my life. My dad served in the Air Force for 30 years and due to the current economy, I am looking at following in his footsteps....slightly. I am almost 30 years old and I am looking at a Civil Engineering position at a nearby AFB at a GS-12 position. In order to get the position I have to join the Air National Guard as a "traditional" guardsmans (i.e. weekends and 2 weeks a year). I am being told that I would most likely have to go through AMS before starting the position. However, they are not sure. Does anyone know if that is the case? I have no prior Military experience.

Once I complete AMS, I would begin the position on the AFB. I have learned a good amount of information from the past posts about what to expect from the AMS program. Can anyone give a more detailed (civilianized) version for me? Just trying to understand exactly what I should expect.

Also, does anyone know anybody in my shoes as far as going into the military as an officer without having any prior military experience? Also, what about the next AMS dates? How do you find that out? I am assuming I probably wouldn't get in until the 2010 classes. Do we know when those start?

Thanks.

The position you are referring to is what is called a Dual Status Technician. We technicians are members of the Guard who are also employed in full-time support roles as Federal Employees. We wear the uniform and play the military game but get paid as Fed GS/WG during the week. On the weekend and during AT/Deployments we get additional pay from the military.

To get a job like this you need to be in drilling Reserve status with the unit. So yes you do have to go to AMS and become a military officer to do it. You can go through AMS just fine without military experience, there were people in my class who did it.

Once you get commissioned through AMS, you can start your job. Technicians only work 40 hours a week (we get comp time if we need it), we get all the regular Fed Employee benefits. You will do whatever is called out in your job description...look up GS 0810 series if you are interested...you will probably oversee construction projects as a COR...do a Google search for SRM, MILCON, etc. You will also perform work as needed to support the part timers of your squadron (ie. plan UTA training, Silver Flag, etc).

Guest Viper Style 09

I have been told not to bring my own computer to AMS due to the vulnerability of it in the unlocked rooms (especially if it is brand new). Should I bring my own printer though? I don't know if they issue one like they do computers or if everybody has to share.

I heard that taking those shiny prom style shoes makes it less of a pain on you because you don't have to shine them like the ones issued to you. Did anybody try this? Also if you guys can think of anything that I could bring to make things easier (squegee, swiffer pads, etc) that would be great.

Thanks.

If it's an Officer slot, yes you will have to go to AMS. If it's being advertised as a GS-12, it's most likely a "dual status" job that, as you mentioned, requires you to be a traditional guardsmen as well. These full-timers still wear the uniform every day, but get paid through a vast/complex pay system that I won't even begin to describe now. The full-time positions are fairly competetive, but are open to people such as yourself with no prior military experience. I have seen hundreds of civilians get hired into Officer positions, altough honestly getting hired directly into a full-time slot is rare.

AMS has changed a lot recently, so take this with a grain of salt, but the classes used to start the first/second week in Oct, Jan, Mar, May and August. Sounds like they will be getting rid of at least the May class due to ROTC conflicts at the new base. To get a class date, you have to first be hired by whatever ANG base you are considering. Once that happens, they will get the ball rolling as far as forwarding your information to Guard Bureau and getting class dates. For a non-rated career field like CE, it should be a little easier to get through this system, but a safe bet would be to plan on it taking nearly a year from interview to AMS class date, if not longer.

I have been told not to bring my own computer to AMS due to the vulnerability of it in the unlocked rooms (especially if it is brand new). Should I bring my own printer though? I don't know if they issue one like they do computers or if everybody has to share.

I heard that taking those shiny prom style shoes makes it less of a pain on you because you don't have to shine them like the ones issued to you. Did anybody try this? Also if you guys can think of anything that I could bring to make things easier (squegee, swiffer pads, etc) that would be great.

BRING YOUR COMPUTER AND OWN PRINTER!!!!!!!!! The computer access system was all jacked up in more ways than Nick Nolte after a night on the town. Again, I was a non-prior, so I wanted to make things as simple and easy as possible. Take the shiny cheap shoes, just a quick wipe and you are good to go. Honestly dude, I wouldnt worry about the squegee or anything like that. You are going to have to get 15 gigs to fail a room inspection... Save yourself the trouble by making sure your room (drawers and closet) are good and it will make life easy on you. If the shower is dripping wet, 1 gig. If there is one little tiny drplet of water chillin, 1 gig. Save yourself and your roomate the grief of wiping it down after every use and just take the hit. A good tip to remember is to take your showers at night and leave all doors open. Ususally the shower will be dry by 0500. Room inspections are a joke at AMS. (just dont leave your security drawer unlocked!)

Edit: for additions

Edited by summe32c

Guest Jaeger Bomb

Just heard that the fitness requirements are being pushed back to July 2010. From January to June, they are going to conduct the test and apply the results to the old standards, and then they will measure how that person would have scored with the new standards. After this trial period, they will begin officially scoring using the new standard in July. So the Jan and March AMS classes will still be graded based on the old standard.

As far as to where to find the fitness requirements, I usually use the AF portal to find them, but if you are non-prior and don't have access to the portal, I googled and found http://www.airforce-pt.com/, which shows the old standards. You could probably google and find the new standards as well if you look hard enough. Good luck!

Guest Viper Style 09

I am a non-prior going to AMS in January. I went to my unit during their last drill weekend to finish my out-processing. I was told that I HAVE to been in the computer system (LAN user agreement, andan email address) before I get to AMS. I have set up a password for my CAC card, and finished the information protection. I guess my question is, if I am unable to sign into their system at AMS, or log on with my CAC card, will I be sent away?

Your unit should ensure that you have your information protection paperwork and all that stuff. My CAC card never worked the entire time there at AMS. You wont use the CAC card for computer access. They will give you a card with an ALT number. (ALT####) Thats what you'll use for computer access. CAC card is used for Dormitory access..which I never had...bastards..

AMS is still trying to mesh with OTS down at Maxwell, and this is one of the many issues they are having (How to properly load the CAC cards and computer access cards for student use). Its a royal pain in the ARSE. As long as you have it for ID, AMS will take care of the rest.

I wouldnt worry whether or not it works for email.

-summe32c

Guest Black Baron

OTS is working on meshing AMS and BOT, but that's years in the future.

Short answer, no ANG members are going to BOT. BOT has their own problems and they aren't catering to the guard anytime soon.

The curriculum is similar, but AMS is geared towards breeding citizen Airmen. Many of the classes in AMS are irrelevant to BOT and vice-versa.

That really sucks about the classes being full already though. I feel your pain. I thought I was going to the May AMS class last year, and I had to wait till October.

BB

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Viper Style 09

So I am bringing my own computer and printer to AMS. Should I buy the smallest printer I can find, or does it matter if I have a decent sized one?

I got the smallest I could find plus a couple extra inks. Do you think a ream of paper is too little/much? I'm bringing my laptop as well. Only a couple more days. I'm not looking forward to driving through a snowstorm!

I got the smallest I could find plus a couple extra inks. Do you think a ream of paper is too little/much? I'm bringing my laptop as well. Only a couple more days. I'm not looking forward to driving through a snowstorm!

Getzen2- Its a great idea to bring a laptop and printer. I am sure they will still have some computer and printer problems with the next class. Huge amount of paper, good idea, several extra ink, even better idea. you will not only be printing your stuff, but most likely many other people's stuff as well. (unless you're a bag-o-deaush)

Viper Style 09- I wouldn't worry about the large printer. They never said anything to my roommate or myself about it taking up too much room. As long as everything is organized per the OI's, you will be good to go.

Good luck gentlemen. :salut:

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see anything previously posted on pay at AMS. I know we're paid as E-5, with BAH, etc. For those who've gone through, what's your experience been? Did it go into your account bi-weekly, or was it all one big lump sum after all was said and done? Trying to figure out if I should pre-pay a few bills or let them glide on auto-deduct.

Thanks for the help.