AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Just got my AMS dates, will be in the 05-02 class which is Oct 28th to Dec 19th. Couple questions for guys who have been through:

What is a typical weekend like? Do you PT, have access to gym, study, class hours?

Being a non-prior, What types of things can I do to prepare before I go that will make things easier?

What are some of the "better" leadership jobs to volunteer for and what are some of the ones I should avoid if possible?

How is the food?

Thanks guys for the feedback!!

Just got my AMS dates, will be in the 05-02 class which is Oct 28th to Dec 19th. Couple questions for guys who have been through:

What is a typical weekend like? Do you PT, have access to gym, study, class hours?

Being a non-prior, What types of things can I do to prepare before I go that will make things easier?

What are some of the "better" leadership jobs to volunteer for and what are some of the ones I should avoid if possible?

How is the food?

Thanks guys for the feedback!!

Hi BTLFLYER -

1. Typically weekends are yours. Very rarely did we see a flt/cc or a MTI. Sometimes you have scheduled PT (Saturday) but other than phase 1 which lasts about 3 weeks, you can break up into individual flights on the track and do your own thing. They do a good job of overwhelming you with activites on the weekend if you have an upcoming test/briefing/paper so make sure you are studying the week prior. (Ex: We had our 2nd test on a Monday - that Saturday before the test they scheduled us for community service for most of the day.) If nothing's going on, though, the weekends are yours. Enjoy phase 2 and 3 - we even played golf a few times on the weekend towards the end of the program.

2. I was a non prior as well - and flight leader in week 1 which sucked. Try to practice marching and facing movements before you get there. Your going to get yelled at in the beginning. Just get through phase 1 and then things calm down quite a bit. Look at the OTSMAN (be familiar with it - you don't need to memorize it) Study a few sections in the HAWK - it doesn't matter after Phase 1 but knowing a few things could benifit you in the 1st few weeks - (ex. Airman's Creed, Names of the AMS + squadron commanders (which they will give you to put in your HAWK during in processing) They implemented a new thing during our class where you are tested on HAWK knowledge to be phased up to phase 2.... According to the guys I spoke with we all didn't know a single thing and we still got phased up as a class lol ---- Other points on inprocessing day --- Sunday you should NOT wear your ABU's to the briefings. They will send you back upstairs to change into regular clothing. And wakup on day 1 you should be ready to go in ABU's for the crossing the blue line ceremony. You will then change into PT gear to do your PFA. Day 1 was the only day we were woken up by screaming and knocking on the doors. The rest of the time it's up to your flight to be outside for formation

3. Leadership positions are Flight Leader and FOO. Try to get FOO but most flt/cc try to put a non prior as flight leader with an experienced prior as FOO. If thats the case, try to be flight leader at the end of the program (after Phase 1 at least) b/c the flt/cc don't follow you around after your flight gets their "drivers license" to march independently.

For jobs- I was Services which was just getting mail once a week - easy!!!! Visual is also easy - you take pictures of the flight throughout your time there. Those 2 i'd say are the best. Stay away from academics officer- they were always swamped with work.

Food was suprisingly good. Your getting yelled at before every meal and while your eating. That all ends after phase 1 (starting to see the pattern???)

Pushups are in 5 rep incriments - (Down/Up = 1) Easy..... "1 Sir, 2 Sir......Permission to recover, Sir"

Don't get too stressed as a non-prior. You will catch on fast and they will room you with a prior who has been in for a long time. The first few days, especially when you get there will seem like a fire hose and you will be overwhelmed. People will be cleaning rooms, making beds, rolling shirts... Just try not to get overwhelmed. Unpack Saturday and prepare your room. They have a booklet which shows you how things are folded and where they go. Trick - have display items. Technically you can have nothing in your drawers - there is no minimum you need. So what many of us did was have 1 item each (1 pair of socks, 1 undershirt, etc) on display and the rest in our laundry bags as dirty clothing. Then you just do laundry like every other day so your not rolling shirts all the time. Read things carefully and see where you can take advantage of the system.

The program is set up to give you vague situations and you need to disect the info to get to the conclusion. Don't be afraid to take risks - if you mess up it's only 5 pushups. And dont freak out about 341's. I had like 15 pulled in one day. It has no weight even though they say it does.

Final thoughts - DO NOT TAKE ACADEMICS LIGHTLY! Study hard for the tests. We lost close to 10 people due to averages under 80% The academics are not hard but do not blow them off. We even lost a few people the week before graduation b/c they didn't pull up their grades. Don't get into that position.

You will be fine - don't sweat it too much. Take calculated risks. They want to see leadership out of the OC's (Officer Candidates). After phase 1 it get's a lot better and you will make great friends out of it if you have a cool flight.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

Don't bring a sleeping bag or anything additional from the welcome letter and needed items list. Make your bed the first day. Depending on which MTI you get, some destroy your bed every inspection and others leave it alone. Ours left it alone so we only had to make it 2 or 3 times total. You will have a folded blanket that goes at the foot of the bed. We would just use that as a blanket each night and sleep on the top mattress. Yes you sleep on a bare matress and no pillow - just suck it up it's only 8 weeks. The blanket is easy to fold each day - just wake up a few min earlier to do it. Also - flip your top mattress each day after sleeping in it. THey are old and do make an imprint

If you will ever use a mess dress again in the future, I suggest buying it now, getting it properly tailored, and stashing it in someones car. It was a pain in the ass to get to the rental place to get measured, and the suits are about 20 years old and smell like it.

If you will ever use a mess dress again in the future, I suggest buying it now, getting it properly tailored, and stashing it in someones car. It was a pain in the ass to get to the rental place to get measured, and the suits are about 20 years old and smell like it.

This. Just pony up the money and buy it. You're going to need it again in the future, you're reimbursed for it and it's worth your time to not have to fight the rental place.

^^^ What he said. You buy it, fill out a form at your unit, and get reimbursed like $400. That covered everything but some of my medals.

Also, you'll have to have it at UPT if you come to SPS right off the bat as baby class for the senior class graduation and you'll want to wear it when your buddies graduate in classes before you.

Edited by Kenny Powers

^^^ What he said. You buy it, fill out a form at your unit, and get reimbursed like $400. That covered everything but some of my medals.

Also, you'll have to have it at UPT if you come to SPS right off the bat as baby class for the senior class graduation and you'll want to wear it when your buddies graduate in classes before you.

Which form is this...? Finance told me I will just get an extra $400.00 in my pay at some point in the year

Thanks for the help!

Just confirmed... the PT tests we took at AMS are not official, and scores are not counted in the fitness management system. Lame.

Unless... you ask your PT NCO to input your scores based on your word. It worked for me. Just ask, the worst they can tell you is no.

I was hoping for 15-01 but it's looking like 15-02. NGB hasn't sent dates yet. It's been almost two months now since my unit sent them out. Does anyone know how full 15-01 is or the likelihood that they would add students within a month? Wondering if I should start focusing on October at this point.

I've been lurking for almost two years now. I've done my best to just use my ears as I have zero experience in the military. You all have been awesome in contributing so I will do the same in time. This site has been instrumental in my understanding thus far and big part of me getting this opportunity.

Edited by KesselRunner