AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Any other non priors get that cyber awareness certificate done? It's been a huge ######ing pain in the ass. I got CAC reader installed on my work computer, had to call ARCnet to get the course transferred from ADLS, downloaded some 150mb .exe file, sat through the 45 minutes of bullshit, and when the thing was done, it just exited out without recording any completion or certificate....\

Edit -- after doing it a 2nd time, you have to actually click on the last link "Conclusion" where it has the completion code and print certificate.

Ugh that was painful

Non prior as well, you can go into your ADLS and print it off at anytime under the My Transcript tab. Although I'm guessing you can't access ADLS from home, just thought it may help in the future! If any of you haven't printed that out yet surely you could find a way once we got down there, it literally takes 2 minutes.

On another note, anyone getting in town Friday night and paying for their own hotel? Me and another classmate from my unit are splitting a room, let me know if you guys want to grab dinner or a beer Friday night!

My orders are title 32, does anyone else have 32? I'll call my unit on Monday to see if they can change them to title 10, but that and mess dress seems kinda weird I'm going to do a little more digging on this.

I had my orders ammended. I dont have them in front of me, but the orders say title 32, but a paragraph was added to state that portions of training may be in title 10 status- or something along those lines.

I had my orders ammended. I dont have them in front of me, but the orders say title 32, but a paragraph was added to state that portions of training may be in title 10 status- or something along those lines.

Yes, thanks I had the same done to mine yesterday, see you there.

Title 32 is active duty with the national guard while title 10 you fall under "big" Air Force, different pots of money. Correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by mattdm311

Part of the difference between title X and title 32 is the money. However it is more along the lines of what set of rules you operate under. Title X is federal active-duty service which has rules that are different then title III to active-duty service. Title 32 allows military to work with local civil authorities and report to a governor.

United States code, title X and the title 32 are the two titles you'll hear most often. However there are titles for every jurisdiction. For example the Coast Guard has a title, which I don't remember what it is, that allows them to have a legal jurisdiction in their operating area.

Another US code that I'm familiar with his US code title 50. This is the US code that you must operate under one collecting intelligence from foreign entities.

Sorry if this post is hard to read, I am using speech to text, while driving, while sharpening my knife, while reciting the Airmans crede.

I will see you all down there, good luck everyone.

Edited by J_Joyce

I have been preparing for AMS but was told today to expediate me through, they're sending me to OTS. The OTS forum has very little recent information. Does anyone have any information on OTS or who I can contact to get more information on OTS?

Thanks in advance!

Beretta,

Did you go to the OTS website (http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/BOT/index.asp) to get the information about Basic Officer Training for OTS?

I have but it was a quick glance to see the class dates, I'll go back to get more specific information- thank you! Do you by chance know of any gauge that goes beyond the standard lists by chance?

Have you been over to airforceots.com? If not, head over there, make an account, and access the forums. There's a metric shit ton of info.

I just went there, and thank you thank you thank you! That's perfect!

I have but it was a quick glance to see the class dates, I'll go back to get more specific information- thank you! Do you by chance know of any gauge that goes beyond the standard lists by chance?

I just went there, and thank you thank you thank you! That's perfect!

Sorry Beretta,

The only gouge that I have is on AMS.

My husband is in 14-04 and just recently emailed me to send him his mess dress for their dining out the last evening and asked if I would be attending. Did anyone else have spouses/guests at their dining out?

I'm assuming I need a formal dress for this, right? I asked for clarification on it but I doubt he'll get access to email any time soon. I haven't been to a dining out in ages and I was in uniform the last time.

I haven't been to an "AMS" Dining Out, but have been to many others.

If he is wearing a Mess Dress, you should be in "cocktail attire".

Edited by Huggyu2

• 4 weeks later...

I know it has been asked already, but has anyone that missed the 14-04 class heard about AMS dates for FY 15. I have been told that they are not posted until a couple weeks before the first class of FY 15. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I know it has been asked already, but has anyone that missed the 14-04 class heard about AMS dates for FY 15. I have been told that they are not posted until a couple weeks before the first class of FY 15. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I was one of the ones that missed the 14-04 AMS Class. What they did for me though (and for a few other guard folks) is put me into a BOT class so I didn't have to wait all the way until August to get into a class. I just received my orders a couple of days ago and will be in the 14-07 BOT class starting 20 May. I would contact your base education office and see what is going on because I know that they are putting a lot of other guard people through BOT as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Spider,

What are the dates of class 15-01?

Are there any other dates published anywhere, particularly 15-02 and 15-03?

What is holding up them publishing class dates?

Edited by GoGuard

I am not sure if they are planning on publishing another letter. They may just want base training to handle the dates and not have perspective OC's continually calling trying to figure out when they are going. My dates are 18 Aug to 10 Oct. Does anyone know if we need to bring mess dress?

I am not sure if they are planning on publishing another letter. They may just want base training to handle the dates and not have perspective OC's continually calling trying to figure out when they are going. My dates are 18 Aug to 10 Oct. Does anyone know if we need to bring mess dress?

If you already have mess dress you need to bring it. I was in the last class (14-04), we were the first class to wear mess dress it was mandatory. If you don't want to spend the $400+ there is a place right across the base you can rent it from for $60 bucks plus whatever it costs for your medals which you can buy there also. If you have any further questions about AMS don't hesitate to ask! I was part of the first 8 week class and some things have def. changed. Good luck!

Well you get paid for an extra 2 weeks so no complaints there! Additionally you do some extra field work and get to qualify on the M9. Go shoot it a few times if you want to qualify as expert the double action on it isn't the most user friendly. You will do some DSCA training and other field leadership exercises, a few more academics also. Overall, as a non prior, I learned a lot while at AMS. Now, I was discouraged by the complete lack of planning and organization. I am hoping this was because we were the first 8 week class, they have plenty of time to clean things up for you guys so I imagine things will go much more smoothly. Just remember it's a mind game, for the first 2-3 weeks you will do nothing right, they will tell you that none of you will make it through the program and some people dont. Focus on your academics, if you fall below an 80% average they will send you home plain and simple. Just be confident in everything you do, they are training leaders and expect you to act like one, they aren't there to baby anybody. Take calculated risks, maintain your military bearing at all times, help out flight members who are struggling, be a leader. Let me know if you guys have an specific questions, I am heading to IFS tomorrow so my answers might be sparse over the next month.

To add on to the above post… Do not take academics lightly! Do not let your flight mates take them lightly! As a fellow 14-04 grad, we saw about 10 folks eliminated from the program for an academic average below 80% . They had no sympathy for any one. They even removed some people week 6. There is nothing hard about academics at AMS but passing the tests requires some studying. Any additional questions, just ask.