AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

Good Morning everyone! I'll be attending the 14-04 AMS class and I just wanted to pass on some info to everyone that I got from previous attendees as recent as 14-03. I'll try to go in chronological order of how it will pertain to the class itself. Don't take any of this information as written in stone, it's just what I have received and will be doing to prepare myself before and during our AMS class.

BEFORE LEAVING

Get all of your uniforms taken care of. This means have your blues altered, officer braid sewn on, pants hemmed etc. BEFORE getting to AMS. The schedule (as other posters have mentioned) for getting off complex is hectic and it's just one more thing you don't want to worry about! Along with uniform prep, just like basic training, clip all of your strings off your new uniforms! They will get counted against you during locker inspections and it's much easier to do it sitting in the comfort of your own home than in the stress of the moment while at AMS. One less thing to worry about! Make sure you pack everything on the list as most of it will be required for the course. This includes the APECS and the green fleece since our class starts in March and the mornings are still somewhat chilly. For prior service guys, your unit should issue you a whole new set of uniforms for going to AMS (including ABU's). Some of you mentioned pulling stripes, but depending on how long you've had stripes on your current uniform they will either be discolored or torn up from having stuff sewn on them. Probably better to go with the new ones! Also, corofram shoes are authorized during AMS!

Ribbons. I've seen this mentioned a few times and I have confirmed that state ribbons are authorized for wear at AMS. I checked into this because I needed to know whether to get ribbon racks and not include my state awards. I spoke to someone who just graduated and said ribbons were never even questioned during the class, but when he inquired about them he was advised they are allowed as long as the state awards are on your RIP. His advice was to go with at least two sets, one for display and one as a spare. Also, this was already mentioned, but you will receive an oak leaf cluster on your training ribbon for graduating AMS that is required to be worn for a class picture mid way through the course. It's probably a good idea to bring the oak leaf cluster with or pre-attach it to your spare set of ribbons! Another tip for all of the spare stuff you bring... tupperware containers (2 or 3). They are authorized for use in the desk drawers and the contents are un-inspectable. The container itself just has to be in clean and serviceable condition. Great for small items such as ribbons and rank that you don't want floating around!

Physical Training. You are required to test at your unit within 60 days of leaving for one reason and one reason only. To make sure you can pass without sending you there and wasting money. There will be two PT tests at AMS. The first one is day one. Each individual is overseen by a PTL. You will be woken up at o'dark hundred and at this point weighed and taped. You will then eat breakfast. Then you will complete the sit-ups, pushups and 1.5 mile run. If you DO NOT meet within 10% of the minimum score you will be sent home immediately. If you fail and are within 10% it is the COMMANDER'S DISCRETION of whether he/she wants to keep you around. Either way, I wouldn't be in the failing category and risk your entire career!! The real test will come in week 5 of the course. The following are great videos to ensure you are doing your pushups and sit-ups per the regs! Pushups -

Situps -

The HAWK and OTSMAN. The HAWK is available to download from http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/AMS/ as most of you probably know (along with all the other manuals needed). My buddy said you will be asked to memorize certain pages of the HAWK each day. He said it's a good idea to go in there knowing the layout of the HAWK and be extremely familiar with it. KEY ADVICE** There are pages of the HAWK that are STARRED** These pages may or may not be on written tests during AMS. His advice was this... if you don't know the starred pages, you don't graduate... so focus on those! If you don't know the unstarred ones, you will be doing five pushups! I can handle five pushups, I can't handle not graduating! I've also just heard that these pages weren't even tested in 14-03, so it could go either way. You will be overloaded, so focus your time wisely on what matters and focus the rest on whatever you have time for. He advised me to try and know the OTSMAN from day zero - simply to relieve stress while you are there... not as a requirement. Some people with show up on day one and have none of this info or any of these manuals. Be ready for that!

Airman's Manual & Forms. Make sure you have them! I have been forwarded the emails directly from the AMS staff and they are all mandatory. DD2875, AF4394 and the Cyberawareness Certificate. This will be one less headache for everyone if you show up with these correct!

ARRIVAL AND DURING AMS

Arrival. Take a cab from the airport and save the receipt if it's over the $75 minimum for your travel voucher. If it's not over $75, you don't have to keep the receipt, but I would recommend it anyway. It makes your travel voucher that much easier to complete! I was advised to take the first available flight on Saturday the 22nd. Several reasons for this. One - if your flight gets delayed or cancelled, you have backups. If you are trying to take the last flight of the day out and something happens... you are now behind schedule and at a severe disadvantage. If your unit has already booked a flight and it's later in the day... call your airline and let them know you are military. Most of the time they will change it to an earlier one for free! If not, you can always show up at the airport early and request an earlier flight. If you are driving... Even better! Two - the earlier you get there... the more time you have to get set up, unpacked and situated. Time and lack of stress are your friend! Three - getting there early allows plenty of time to get any items you realize you forgot or don't have before everyone else gets there! The uniform sales gets pillaged very early on and you may not have the chance to get certain items again. There are no guarantees!! Finally, before you leave, get a fax number for your finance office. Have the training instructor sign your orders and fax them back to finance at your base ASAP! Otherwise you WILL NOT be getting paid on time. Pay is important, especially for those of us with families back home!

Non-Prior Service. Chances are if you are prior service... you will be roomed with someone who is non-prior service. The people I have talked with all said this was challenging at times, but that is where our responsibility and training as prior service and noncommissioned officers (some of us) kicks in. For non-prior's, this is like day one of basic training. They have never worn a uniform, know little to nothing about the Air Force and are very wet behind the ears! It's part of our job to take them under our wing and get them up to speed. If you are reading this board, you are already ten steps ahead and significantly more educated and prepared than a lot of people who will be showing up. Use this knowledge and your previously learned knowledge to help out the people who aren't at the optimum level of preferred experience. Rise to the challenge and remember that AMS is all about leadership. Don't be upset or angry at someone for showing up day one not knowing any of this! Adapt and overcome and get them up to speed in the fastest possible manner!

Room setup. Another benefit of showing up early is the ability to go through the manuals and have ample time to set up your room according to the manual. As we have all heard, the manual is purposely vague in certain areas and certain aspects will be established once training starts. Also, upon arrival, pull all of the furniture from your room and dust and clean BEFORE unpacking.

All other info and tidbits that didn't fit in anywhere else! On day one, you will be woken up at 4AM. I was told to set an alarm for ten minutes prior to eliminate the pure startle factor. Don't get dressed or anything, just be awake and alert. I easily take ten minutes to fully wake up, so this seems like a no-brainer to me! Learn your chain of command from the president down to the AMS staff. Obviously we don't have our AMS staff yet (other than the commander) but the rest of the chain is published and easily accessible! Know the Airman's Creed and AF Song.

Sorry this post became so long winded. There was a lot of information I wanted to get out there and share with everyone. Some of it might be repetitive, but I figured you can't be over prepared for this! Take and use it as you please! I look forward to meeting and working with all of you during our AMS class. Good luck everyone!! Respond or message me with any questions and I will do my best to get back to you!

Edited by 135guy

Just got ABUs for the first time. Wash them in a washer , or dry clean them first?

recommend you dry clean one time to ensure the crease is set well, no starch. Then just use a washer/dryer forever. Cold water to prevent color loss, so it'll last longer. Edited by deaddebate

The manual actually says not to dry clean them because the chemicals used render the uniform next to useless in certain field conditions. Obviously these conditions probably wont exist at AMS, but either way the uniform is wash and wear and not even designed or meant to be ironed. Its a working uniform and any creases that are meant to be there are already there.

Just my $0.02, but to each their own!

Edited by 135guy

Hey everyone, I will be in the 14-04 class as well. Have had around 10 coworkers graduate the last 2 AMS classes, so have been passed a ton of gouge that I will try to pass along. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. First off, my coworker from the 14-03 class was chatting with one of her instructors towards the end of her class and said something to the effect of how pumped she was to get into the 6 week class. His response was "Why?! The 8 week class will be way easier since we arent adding anything." So take that with a grain of salt, but dont freak out about the extra timeline down there.

-Next, I know that it says not to, but I was told to get my ABU's dry cleaned once, just pressed with no starch. This is just for the "I dont look like I slept in them" effect, and will aid in clipping strings. At a minimum, run an iron over them.

-Blues pants- I was told by my supply guy that they are the same pants. I wasnt satisfied so I did some digging, and what I found is that there are non service dress blues pants that you can buy. Apparently they are a slightly different blue and have elastic waist bands? Some people get them who wear blues everyday because they are more comfortable and are for wear with long or short sleeve blues shirts. The pants you will be issued (atleast I was) are 3 pairs of the service pants which meet the requirements. You can wear the service pants with all of the above.

-Cold gear- I called the AMS contact to ask about this stuff since our class starts late in March. She told me I did NOT need to bring them. So to each their own, but I will not be bringing my green fleece, cap etc. But the APECs IS required either way, so dont forget it.

-Getting down there- I will be flying, but some coworkers are driving down, so I will be sending some stuff with them. Apparently there have been issues with bags making it through the airline, and some individuals were without all uniforms for a bit down there. Obviously the staff is not going to annhilate you for this, but It may be prudent to have a backpack or travel bag with atleast 1 set of ABUs and PT gear in it ready to go if this happens to you.

-Electronics- As someone mentioned, they are recommending you bring your IPAD/LAPTOP etc because they have wifi in the dorms now and you can use these items for taking notes in class. Also, I was highly encouraged to bring a printer and a ream of paper/enough ink to make it through, so do what you want, but I am going to throw one in my buddys car.

The rest of the stuff I have read on here looks to track with what I have been passed as far as clothes and room prep etc. Good luck and see you down there!

FYI on cold weather gear.

As a 14-03 graduate I would strongly encourage people to bring their cold gear (watch cap and gloves). The AMS staff cannot predict the weather and it has been an abnormally cold year so far. But the biggest reason I say this is that the ENTIRE flight must be standardized/look exactly the same (trust me, I was "blessed" with being the standardization officer). Therefore, if its cold outside during week 1 and everybody but 1 person has their watch cap, then the entire flight must wear the ABU hat because everybody must look the same (standardized, you will hear that more then you'll ever want to).

However, the fleece is a different story. Because if worn correctly, underneath the APECS, it shouldn't be seen. So it doesn't matter if you wear it and somebody else doesn't but I would recommend it because it does make a difference when your standing outside during drill practice or open ranks.

Just my simple opinion, if you get down there and the forecast calls for mid 80's. Great, throw all your cold gear in your car or in the luggage closet on day 1. Problem solved. Personally, I'd much rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

-Chem

Edited by chem_teacher_flies85

What do the weekends typically look like during the different phases? Are you allowed to leave during Phase 1, and if so, does anyone really go out? Are you allowed to use the gym at anytime during the weekends? Mostly studying? Thank you!!

FYSA, got this email today. My coworker called down there to ask about the mess dress and he was told that we will have time during the course to get it.

AMS Students,

Congratulations on your selection to the Academy of Military Science located
at the United States Air Force Officer Training School.

Getting off to a good start is important, and to accomplish this you should
arrive prepared and ready to perform. The following link has information
for inbound AMS Officer Candidates.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/AMS/index.asp
<http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/AMS/index.asp> This web page will
help prepare you for the challenging 40 training days that will lead to your
commission as an officer in the USAF and Air National Guard. Please ensure
you review all necessary information in order to be properly prepared. The
packing list on the website (also attached) is the only packing list for
AMS. As an addition to this list you will need to bring Mess Dress.

Good communication is key to being a successful Officer, and to facilitate
communication while at AMS, it is recommended that you create a gmail or
yahoo email account for the duration of the class. Personal laptop
computers, tablets, and printers are highly recommended. If you have any
questions or concerns prior to your arrival, contact (334) 953-8424 or DSN
493-8424.

Lastly, you should be attending training in T10 status - please check your
orders and work with your units to make any corrections.

Regards,

LtCol Reid Rasmussen
AMS Commander

Male_Uniform_Checklist_(Commander_Directed).pdf

Female_Uniform_Checklist_(Commander_Directed).pdf

Mess Dress...

Great little task to throw in last second. Here we go...

I just wish the little surprise last minute tasks didn't look so expensive. The officer version of the service coat was just under $200; cant wait to see what this get-up will run.

Edited by J_Joyce

My orders are title 32, does anyone else have 32? I'll call my unit on Monday to see if they can change them to title 10, but that and mess dress seems kinda weird I'm going to do a little more digging on this.

Mess Dress...

I just wish the little surprise last minute tasks didn't look so expensive. The officer version of the service coat was just under $200; cant wait to see what this get-up will run.

It should be about $400 when all said and done if you don't find a used one. Little nugget of info, try and find a way to borrow someone's 2d Lt shoulder boards. There is no good reason to buy a set of $46 boards when you are only going to have them for 2 years.

My orders are title 32, does anyone else have 32? I'll call my unit on Monday to see if they can change them to title 10, but that and mess dress seems kinda weird I'm going to do a little more digging on this.

I saw mixed at AMS. I was on Title 10, while I saw a lot of people on Title 32. Not sure if it was related to this or not, but everyone that was going for a rated slot was on Title 10 while some of the other people going for Mx Officer/Wx Officer were on Title 32, but YMMV.

Mess Dress...

Great little task to throw in last second. Here we go...

The cost of the mess dress will be an expensive one, $370 by my calculations. When you say you had to purchase the service coat, did your unit not fund a uniform issue for you?

You guys realize that you get reimbursed for almost the entire cost of the mess dress, right? I think the only thing I didn't get reimbursed for were the medals. There is some form your finance office should have for the reimbursement.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Could be they are trying to align AMS with BOT a little more with the whole title 10, mess dress, and increase to 8 week thing.

In regards to mess dress, I'm not sure what kind of free time or phase privileges you will get in the 8 week program, but there is a place just outside of the gates that has mess dress for rent for much less than owning.

Good luck!

The cost of the mess dress will be an expensive one, $370 by my calculations. When you say you had to purchase the service coat, did your unit not fund a uniform issue for you?

I am kind of in limbo right now. I am ridding my AGR orders right up to the day I start the travel orders and move on paper to new unit. Until that happens, it is an issue of who’s paying for what. I am sure once I move over I would have no problem with the clothing issue, but that likely wouldn’t work itself out until after AMS. There is probably a better way to handle it, but just to keep it simple (for me) I am just buying things on my own. Even know I am starting to bitch about the cost, I know its my problem.

Any of the recent class graduates have a memorandum template they want to share here?

I ran into the same thing after being on a Title 10 activation with my unit for five years. I am also transferring; however, they had me do it two weeks ahead of time to allow time to gain me into the new unit. My new unit was able to process my uniform issue about a month prior to me officially transferring though. They did this using my training line number and then shipped the uniform items to me since I still live across the country from them. It was a process, but that initial issue is a $2000 set of uniforms that you definitely don't want coming out of your pocket! Good luck getting everything squared away. See you in five days!

Uniform packing list -- "Towel, Cotton/poly, white (2)"

Is that literally just a bath towel?

On the towels. They issue you the same one as basic training, but white. (The thin cheap kind). They can be picked up at any BX or clothing sales for extremely cheap if your unit didn't issue them to you. I'm sure any white towel would do, but don't know if that will be a uniformity issue if you don't have the issue ones.

I ran into the same thing after being on a Title 10 activation with my unit for five years. I am also transferring; however, they had me do it two weeks ahead of time to allow time to gain me into the new unit. My new unit was able to process my uniform issue about a month prior to me officially transferring though. They did this using my training line number and then shipped the uniform items to me since I still live across the country from them. It was a process, but that initial issue is a $2000 set of uniforms that you definitely don't want coming out of your pocket! Good luck getting everything squared away. See you in five days!

On the towels. They issue you the same one as basic training, but white. (The thin cheap kind). They can be picked up at any BX or clothing sales for extremely cheap if your unit didn't issue them to you. I'm sure any white towel would do, but don't know if that will be a uniformity issue if you don't have the issue ones.

Do you have a copy of the form they used for the 2000$ issue? Should be some sorta of AF form you had to sign.

I am kind of in limbo right now. I am ridding my AGR orders right up to the day I start the travel orders and move on paper to new unit. Until that happens, it is an issue of who’s paying for what. I am sure once I move over I would have no problem with the clothing issue, but that likely wouldn’t work itself out until after AMS. There is probably a better way to handle it, but just to keep it simple (for me) I am just buying things on my own. Even know I am starting to bitch about the cost, I know its my problem.

Any of the recent class graduates have a memorandum template they want to share here?

AF Form 1969 will get you the 400$ intial issue.

Any other non priors get that cyber awareness certificate done? It's been a huge ######ing pain in the ass. I got CAC reader installed on my work computer, had to call ARCnet to get the course transferred from ADLS, downloaded some 150mb .exe file, sat through the 45 minutes of bullshit, and when the thing was done, it just exited out without recording any completion or certificate....\

Edit -- after doing it a 2nd time, you have to actually click on the last link "Conclusion" where it has the completion code and print certificate.

Ugh that was painful

Edited by rancormac