AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

AMS candidates will be administered an official Air Force fitness test no earlier than two months (60 days) prior to an no later than one week (7 days) prior to their

departure from home station for their respective course.

Source?

I'll be there next month as well.

Edited by scopedope

I took my PT test last drill along with another guy who is going to the 23 March class, the above information stating a PT test must be done no earlier than 60 days prior and no later than 7 days prior to AMS is correct. They just want to make sure you can pass your test, they don't want people being sent down who fail the first test and have to be sent home.

As stated already, you will take a PT test on day 1. From my understanding (and what I saw) they used this test as a guideline to see if you needed any additional training (I knew of people who failed but were not sent home). Then around week 5 you will take the 'real deal' PT test. However, if you cannot pass the PT test on day 1 you are not helping your flight out. In fact, you are making them look bad. So do some push/sit ups and run before you arrive to not be the thorn in your flights side from day 1.

If anyone gets any intel on the AMS dates starting around August (and later), will you post them?

Additionally, with the AF announcing they are cancelling a number of OTS classes, will that affect AMS dates (such as adding more during the summer)?

Do you by chance know the dates for August? I haven't seen them posted with the fiscal year.

The website has been updates w/ new dates and #seats available.

Where does one complete the DoD Cyber Awareness course? I won't be going to my unit again prior to AMS start

ALCON on upcoming AMS class and clearly defined items:

The dates for AMS 14-04 are now officially as follows: 24 Mar 14 - 14 May 14. The website will be updated NLT 15 Mar 14. Students need to arrive on station on Saturday, 22 Mar 14, and are scheduled to in-process on Sunday, 23 Mar 14, at 0800. Please ensure all students arrive with the following forms to be turned in during in-processing on Sunday: (1) DoD CyberAwareness Certificate, (2) AF4394, and (3) DD2875.

Here is guidance on completing the DD 2875:

- The system name is Maxwell NIPRNET.
- Location is Maxwell AFB.
- Part I complete using your current organization
- Block 13 will read: Attending AMS from 24 Mar 14 to 14 May 14
- Block 17-19 will be completed by your current supervisor
- Part III will be completed by your current security manager

Please DO NOT email these forms. The student should provide hard copies during in-processing on Sunday, 23 Mar 14.

I was there last week for my buddies commissioning ceremony and I spoke to a couple instructors. The rumor is we’ll have more field training. They kind of hinted that the academics would be slightly different but still no official revisions to the syllabus… Anybody heard anything different?

Hi Everyone,

I will be at 14-4 with some of the other posters.

I made contact with the school house on the PT Test requirement prior to school. My question was slightly different since I attempted to do the PT test but had a weather waiver for the run portion (I'm in MN). Bottom line, I was told that the record of your prior PT Test is not verified UNLESS you fail the diagnostic test on day one. If you do fail, the CMDR will be reviewing individual records to determine if you stay or go.

As far as what to study prior to class, the official school house website tells you to review it all. Someone mentioned studying it not to look like ass. That is good advice, but also consider studying it in depth to help support your class mates. My understanding is we move to each phase as a class based on our classes performance. There are two things that are important to me in getting through this class: getting to have my coffee in the morning and being able to call my daughter periodically. Both of these privileges are based on moving up in "phases". If anyone holds me back from those two privileges because they came unprepared, we will have a hard time working together.

A question for some of the prior attendees of AMS; what was the student body norm? Were the majority of the students: younger/older, prior active duty/traditional/no prior military experience, etc... I just returned from NCOA where the majority of the student body was at the same point in their life/careers. I am not sure what to expect for AMS. I already know I will be one of the oldest there as I am just barely making the age requirement without needing an age waiver.

Good luck with everyone attending AMS 14-4. I am looking forward to working with you.

Hi Everyone,

I will be at 14-4 with some of the other posters.

I made contact with the school house on the PT Test requirement prior to school. My question was slightly different since I attempted to do the PT test but had a weather waiver for the run portion (I'm in MN). Bottom line, I was told that the record of your prior PT Test is not verified UNLESS you fail the diagnostic test on day one. If you do fail, the CMDR will be reviewing individual records to determine if you stay or go.

As far as what to study prior to class, the official school house website tells you to review it all. Someone mentioned studying it not to look like ass. That is good advice, but also consider studying it in depth to help support your class mates. My understanding is we move to each phase as a class based on our classes performance. There are two things that are important to me in getting through this class: getting to have my coffee in the morning and being able to call my daughter periodically. Both of these privileges are based on moving up in "phases". If anyone holds me back from those two privileges because they came unprepared, we will have a hard time working together.

A question for some of the prior attendees of AMS; what was the student body norm? Were the majority of the students: younger/older, prior active duty/traditional/no prior military experience, etc... I just returned from NCOA where the majority of the student body was at the same point in their life/careers. I am not sure what to expect for AMS. I already know I will be one of the oldest there as I am just barely making the age requirement without needing an age waiver.

Good luck with everyone attending AMS 14-4. I am looking forward to working with you.

I spoke with an AMS instructor a couple weeks ago, his ad advice was not to try and memorize anything before hand. He said that he'll just keep asking you questions until you get something wrong then you do push ups... no big deal

I spoke with an AMS instructor a couple weeks ago, his ad advice was not to try and memorize anything before hand. He said that he'll just keep asking you questions until you get something wrong then you do push ups... no big deal

That is crazy advice, but let’s hope he was right. I know they will find something, and I personally don’t mind some free PT.

In my experience AF schools are more relaxed on details than the Army schools I have attended. If the school house says read it, you read it. If the packing list says two white washcloths, bring two washcloths, and you had better make sure they are white. Maybe I am over reacting, but on the other hand I would rather error on the side of caution.

Either way, good luck at school. If your buddy who graduated recently has any good tips, let us know.

Do prior service guys remove thier rank from ABU sleeves and put on any collar rank? If so, during training do AMS Students wear 2lt or another rank insignia such as OC?

Yes remove your Prior E rank. You wear OC rank on your collar if you are in a leadership position.

Nothing about an Airman's manual here either... I dont have the officer sleeve braid sewn onto my new service coat or have the coat altered to fit me yet, for that matter. Is there time to get that done at Maxwell? Would it be a big deal to show up without that done?

Whatever you can get done beforehand, the better. People did take their stuff to alterations but it was a tight crunch from the time you are allowed to leave the OTS campus and then had to go pick it up for open ranks. Which you will have within the first few weeks and will be in a world of trouble if you are the only one who doesn't have his/her service jacket.

Again, get whatever you can done beforehand. This will produce less stress in an already stressful situation

-Chem

Edited by chem_teacher_flies85