AMS (Academy of Military Science) Questions

Guest lazy26

They were strict when I went through (nov 2012) LOTS of people complained about not having push ups counted.

Do yourself a favor...do lots of push-ups before you get there; don't cheat while you do them. Leave nothing to chance...

Karaoke on Thursday night's right?

AMS sucks...A LOT. Just go in expecting the suck and the worst thing that can happen is it meets expectation. At least you'll knock it out before six weeks of wonderfulness becomes nine weeks of wonderfulness. Try to surround yourself with the good folks and don't get caught up in drama.

How strict are they on the push ups?

How does it work? Do we count each other? Is there a certain degree leniancy?

Kinda depends on which instructor you get - some walk around with protractors and others are satisfied with a head dip. Just do big boy pushups. (The field you guys use has a few dips and mounds that they allow you use to your advantage, as long as it's somewhat in your zone.)

Can anyone who has recently graduated answer this question:

The website says that you will be sent home if you fail your first PFT. I never failed before but im not exactly stellar as a runner either. I talked to one of my LTs who went a year ago and he said that if anyone failed the first PT test, they did not get sent home. They were placed on a fitness program and had to pass the last test to graudate. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Does it still hold true? Just wondering because im kind of sweating it.

Thanks.

The website says that you will be sent home if you fail your first PFT. I never failed before but im not exactly stellar as a runner either. I talked to one of my LTs who went a year ago and he said that if anyone failed the first PT test, they did not get sent home. They were placed on a fitness program and had to pass the last test to graudate. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Does it still hold true? Just wondering because im kind of sweating it.

Thanks.

Stellar runner or not. If you train properly, then you should have nothing to worry about. You have to put a little effort in to get something in return.

I went to the Nov. 2011 class. The class in Sept had someone fail and get sent home. That person happened to be the son of a general who then wondered why a person would be sent home after failing when in the rest of the AF, you get a retest after some remedial PT. So for the rest of FY'12, they didn't send you home if you failed while they worked on finding a solution to their regulations. Who knows if that has been fixed by this point or not, but bottom line, arrive in enough shape to not have to worry about it.

Change in regs. as of Oct. 1 2012 requires you to do a PT test before you go. It's worded something like "no sooner than 30 days prior to AMS but no later than 14 days prior to departing your home station", which might mean, if you cannot pass that test, they probably wont send you.

Might be the "solution" to what mp5g is talking about...

Thanks.

I'm preparing for 13-04 as well. I've talked with several newly commissioned officers that graduated in AMS 13-01 class. They all said that they lost 4-5 guys on the first day because they could not pass the PT Test. In addition, one new Lt told me that they will give you a passing score if you are within 10% of a passing score during the first PT Test. But, you must pass the final PT test during the fifth week.

Change in regs. as of Oct. 1 2012 requires you to do a PT test before you go. It's worded something like "no sooner than 30 days prior to AMS but no later than 14 days prior to departing your home station", which might mean, if you cannot pass that test, they probably wont send you.

Might be the "solution" to what mp5g is talking about...

I submitted an ETP to meet this regulation. Long story short, I needed to take the PT test 45 days before AMS due to scheduling conflicts. When my ETP was approved from the school house, the school house's response said, "Just make sure that he understands if he happens to fail the initial PFA on 1 Apr, he will most likely be sent home from training."

I haven't attended AMS yet, so take my response with a grain of salt. I'm just passing along the information I have received.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone ask about medications. I got some nasty bronchitis ive been battling and got prescribed a variety of different medications. A bunch of steroids, anti biotics, and cough syrup with codeine. I know at ny unit we have to report that kind of stuff for urinalysis. I did not plan on bringing everything with me as I will be at the tail end of the medication by the time I leave. Should I bring it with me just in case? Do they do urinalysis there that I need ti show them all of my prescriptions? Or can I just leave it all home so as to not bother jumping on anyones radar as "sick".?

I saw someone ask about medications. I got some nasty bronchitis ive been battling and got prescribed a variety of different medications. A bunch of steroids, anti biotics, and cough syrup with codeine. I know at ny unit we have to report that kind of stuff for urinalysis. I did not plan on bringing everything with me as I will be at the tail end of the medication by the time I leave. Should I bring it with me just in case? Do they do urinalysis there that I need ti show them all of my prescriptions? Or can I just leave it all home so as to not bother jumping on anyones radar as "sick".?

Are you starting in the next class (13-04)? If so, I would bring them so you can function. Nobody really gives a shit if you are sick unless it creates a situation where you cannot participate in the course. I think you need, as a minimum, to be able to participate in 85% of the training to pass.

You will take a UA, so I would bring them just incase there are any questions about whether or not they were prescribed to you, that way you can just show them the bottles. Thats probably documented in your medical records from your last base but you never know.

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there!! I am going 2 Nov also. Can anyone access the au.af.mil website? I could in the past but not w/in the last three days. I am looking for a packing checklist and any additional info?

I have a few questions...maybe a recent grad can help me...

1.) Do I need my ribbon rack in check? Including state ribbons?

2.) Females - Do you need to bring panty hose? Heels and low quarters??? Are both pr neccessary?

3.) Is it helpful to have 2 pr of boots?

4.) What color running shoe is acceptable? I know conservative colors such as black or white? Any additional colors allowed ...blue, pink, etc

5.) Will you have time to get uniforms altered while you are there?

6.) Is pay typically on time or does it back up?

7.) Do I need short AND long sleeve blues tops? How many of each?

8.) Do I need blues pants AND skirts? How many of each?

Thank you in advance!

1. You will need your ribbon rack with all federal ribbons, state is only optional and 98% of the students will not bring or wear them.

2. Being a male I can only speak to what I have seen. Most females only wore the low quarters. The thing about AMS is EVERYONE has to be uniform, meaning if one female wants to wear heels, all the females must wear heels. All the females in my class just stuck with the low quarters.

3. 1 pair of boots will be fine. Some people brought 2 pairs but that just means one pair is always subject to inspection while in your dorm. I only brought 1 pair while my roommate brought 2 and ended up putting his extra pair in my car and never needed them. You will be fine with only 1 pair.

4. You can have other colors in the shoe just make sure they are not "flashy", you do not want to stand out or have them catch unneeded attention.

5. Depends what you want altered. You will need your blues to be ready by end of week 2 or beginning of week 3 for open ranks. You will not have time to go to alterations during the first 2 weeks. I recommend getting everything altered before hand, if you cannot, drop some stuff off the Saturday before your class starts and if you need them before your allowed to go get them on your own, just let your flight commander know, they were pretty reasonable when it came to that stuff.

6. 95% of my wings pay was on time, if it wasn't, it was due to orders being wrong or the individuals unit messing something up. They are very serious about your pay here and will help you do what it takes to make sure you receive it.

7. You do not wear blues a whole lot here. You will wear them twice for open ranks, then for the graduation events and that is it. I brought 1 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve and never wore the long sleeve at all since it was summer. Again, anything extra you have are potential demerits during inspections.

8. Definitely pants, since you are going in November you probably will not be wearing a skirt. Anything extra or questionable you want to bring, keep it in your car, a flight mates car, or dry cleaners until you need it. No one checks to make sure you have the "required" items on the list, just don't be the individual that doesn't bring the APECS jacket and makes the whole wing march without theirs in the rain to stay uniformed.

Hope this info helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

• Upvote 1

Hi there!! I am going 2 Nov also. Can anyone access the au.af.mil website? I could in the past but not w/in the last three days. I am looking for a packing checklist and any additional info?

I have a few questions...maybe a recent grad can help me...

1.) Do I need my ribbon rack in check? Including state ribbons?

2.) Females - Do you need to bring panty hose? Heels and low quarters??? Are both pr neccessary?

3.) Is it helpful to have 2 pr of boots?

4.) What color running shoe is acceptable? I know conservative colors such as black or white? Any additional colors allowed ...blue, pink, etc

5.) Will you have time to get uniforms altered while you are there?

6.) Is pay typically on time or does it back up?

7.) Do I need short AND long sleeve blues tops? How many of each?

8.) Do I need blues pants AND skirts? How many of each?

Thank you in advance!

You can't do facing movements in heels. One female in my flight wore heels. She got destroyed by both MTIs, every Flt/CC, and the Sq/CC. They yelled at her all day. Don't wear heels. Put them in your car.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the ots website is down, I tried to access it today to no avail. I saved the pdf's needed for stuff to bring, I will post whatever I think is useful...

There are 3 other documents, OTS manual 36-2604, OTS manual 36-2604 Academy of military science supplement, and there was something else. it is recommended to read the AMS section in the OTS manual.

Any other feedback from grads?

Are the briefings hard?

Any other tips?

AMSSYLLABUSWPREFACE_000.pdf

OTSMAN36-2604.pdf

OTSMAN36-2604_AMSSUP_Final_000.pdf

MaleUniformChecklist.pdf

It seems like the ots website is down, I tried to access it today to no avail. I saved the pdf's needed for stuff to bring, I will post whatever I think is useful...

There are 3 other documents, OTS manual 36-2604, OTS manual 36-2604 Academy of military science supplement, and there was something else. it is recommended to read the AMS section in the OTS manual.

Any other feedback from grads?

Are the briefings hard?

Any other tips?

The briefings are very easy as long as you're comfortable talking in front of people. DO NOT go over your time. That is the most important thing.

Anyone who's gone throught AMS:

• How hard are the tests?
  • Do they give you enough time to study?
  • Are the test questions pretty straight forward?

• How hard are the tests? Not hard. But, people fail them. You will likely have at least one failure in your flight.
    Do they give you enough time to study? They give you the entire weekend before the test to study. But, you should try and study a half an hour to an hour every night or every other night.
    Are the test questions pretty straight forward? Yes. They usually throw out one or two that everyone missed. The instructors do a good job at foot stomping things you need to answer the SOBs. Just take the SOBs with you into every class and write down the answers. Don't waste your time take notes on things that won't be on the test.
Edited by JakeFSU

• How hard are the tests? Not hard. But, people fail them. You will likely have at least one failure in your flight.
  • Do they give you enough time to study? They give you the entire weekend before the test to study. But, you should try and study a half an hour to an hour every night or every other night.
  • Are the test questions pretty straight forward? Yes. They usually throw out one or two that everyone missed. The instructors do a good job at foot stomping things you need to answer the SOBs. Just take the SOBs with you into every class and write down the answers. Don't waste your time take notes on things that won't be on the test.

So , I take it the reason people wash out is they're just not studying/taking it seriously...? Thanks for the info!