"Behind Enemy Lines"

Rocker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1306699/Afghan-war-eyes-Taliban.html

I saw this on Drudge Report today and it's worth a read, although I reject the implications of the parallels this jackass tries to make between the Taliban and the U.S. I'm guessing the text is a translation with all of the errors. AC-130s are mentioned a few times - I was unaware of any gunship "rocket" employment capability... What a great pity it would have been if this guy had been killed along with the scum he was running with. EJKIA - count it.

Edited by Rocker

I've always been curious...if these DB journalists can get in good with the Taliban, why can't the CIA or similar agency send someone disguised as a journalist to locate leadership types?

Because that would instantly put ALL the journalists at even greater risk than they already are. Similar to why we don't abuse the Red Cross symbol in the same way. Disguising oneself as a noncombatant and then opening fire is generally a tactic reserved for the OTHER side.

Because that would instantly put ALL the journalists at even greater risk than they already are. Similar to why we don't abuse the Red Cross symbol in the same way. Disguising oneself as a noncombatant and then opening fire is generally a tactic reserved for the OTHER side.

Journalists are not a special class under the Hague or Geneva conventions (except that those reporters officially accompanying a military force can use the protection of POW status if captured).

Disguising oneself as a noncombatant and then opening fire is generally a tactic reserved for the OTHER side.

He’s not talking about soldiers shooting people; he’s talking about spies collecting intelligence...pretty common for spies to pose as people other than spies in order to collect intelligence...

• Upvote 2

He’s not talking about soldiers shooting people; he’s talking about spies collecting intelligence...pretty common for spies to pose as people other than spies in order to collect intelligence...

As long as you don't introduce yourself as "Bond, James Bond."

Bingo.

Go in, fake some interviews, then come back with "Akbar hangs out in this cave and around this wadi most days".

Then again, for all I know we are doing that.

Guest Hueypilot812

The men spend much of their time talking and even joking, much like soldiers they are fighting against, the documentary shows

So let's take a look at how the Taliban are so much like western troops they are fighting:

The men also show their softer side to the Norwegian journalist by singing, reciting verses from the Koran and even brushing their long hair

Interesting...as the leftist, anti-war establishment wants us to believe they are "a lot like us", they are trying to find ways to get rid of chaplains in the military and attacking things like invocations, etc. While that's an entirely different debate altogether, "they" are not like "us", because "they" are religiously intolerant and their religion is a big reason behind what motivates their service, unlike "us".

'If the Taliban suspect me of being a spy they will execute me.'

I have yet to read about any NATO/US policy allowing the summary field execution of those believed to be spying or otherwise.

He is seen leading his men in ideological discussions, a prayer session...

By "ideologies", he means "religious ideologies". Not things like freedom, etc. If US gave gave a motivational speech about crusading against the evil muslims and then leading them in prayer that their religion would win over the infidels, then sure, they'd be a lot like us. But we don't do that.

Over the radio, a commander says: 'Allah make our enemies perish. I seek refuge in you. Alllah make the mujahaideen victorious.'

Again, I have yet to hear that kind of radio traffic over our frequencies. So how are they like us again???

Of the comments at the bottom, this one stuck out...

Just a good old family group then. Didn't get around to mentioning the hangings and stonings, nice to see that they pray together,probably makes everything ok then. Don't fancy their countrymen's chances when the terrible Westerners leave. Nice to see that Karzai is getting more friendly with them as he knows it's his only chance later to avoid retribution. Let's face it, after all the troop casualties, at least we'll have improved the Afghan armies level of training so they'll all be able to merge in with the Taliban, and make a really great contribution to the rounding up and 'removal' of anyone that has tried to make an effort to improve the lives of the womenfolk, and all the other opressed groups that are interested in dragging this feudal excuse of a nation into the 21st century with the rest of the world. And to think there are those in Britain actually condoning the possibility of having Sharia law operating amongst the population.

I've always been curious...if these DB journalists can get in good with the Taliban, why can't the CIA or similar agency send someone disguised as a journalist to locate leadership types?

What makes you think they don't?