CSO drop nights

You must have a lot of time on your hands. My class, 12-11, is almost correct. We had an MC EWO and a BUFF EWO. Also, something to consider is that prior to the late late FY 12 classes, the B-52 folks didn't find out crew position until after graduation, some as late as reporting to KBAD. The percentages may be skewed heavily towards NAV when there are definitely EWO students coming through the pipe currently.

That being said, good work. I'm sure you'll answer a lot of questions for folks coming thru UNT with the spreadsheet.

Time, no.. the occasional sleepless nights.. yes.

Looks good, 1 minor correction for 12-07... We did not have an MC-130H EWO, we did however have an MC-130J CSO.

a few questions, what is the differentiation you made between the C-130H and C-130**? also what do *, **, and *** each mean?

Corrected 12-07, 11 and combined the H and *** after I realized only one class actually reported it as an H vs C-130. The **'s which were originally added to help me when information wasn't available. Often times the information reported didn't designate EWO, Nav so I placed it in a row that made "sense".

13-10 Drop

RC-135 EWO x2, NAV x2

C-130 Niagara Falls ANG

B-52 x2

EC-130 NAV, EWO

F-15E x4

U-28 x2

Where did the two U-28 studs stand in their class? I ask because I am interested in this aircraft.

Where did the two U-28 studs stand in their class? I ask because I am interested in this aircraft.

I can't speak to 13-10, but I've seen both top notch guys get U-28 and middle of the road guys get U-28. All depends on your class and what the folks want. Bottom line is do the best you can in every phase, don't be the dick who won't help others out, and don't do anything stupid. It usually works out ok.

• Upvote 1

Also, provided your class is any good, standing means very little, at least in the top 5. Out of our two 28s, the first went to the top guy and the second went to someone that was probably closer to 10 out of 27. The actual difference between 1 and 10 in our class as far as percentage points went was pretty negligible. Drop nights can be crazy for classes where every one is neck in neck. I know ours was.

https://www.dropbox....xuqj/Drops.xlsx

New guy checking in,

Above is a link to an excel file that documents all of the drops since Pensacola opened and that have been posted in this thread. The accuracy of the information is only as good as the information posted here and my ability to collect it on a sleepless night. If you spot an error, let me know and i'll gladly update the file.

I still can't believe you found the time to do that. Go study for your ES checkride, Level 69 Dungeon Master. (But thanks for the gouge, as always)

Also, 28s are awesome. Drop night isnt here yet, but I know at least one guy near the top of our class is honed in on them along with at least a couple more in the top-third. Interestingly enough, rumors have been floating around that our drop is going to be pretty Strike Eagle heavy and only one of our top 3 dudes is interested at all. If you're not already at NASP, you'll figure out pretty quick that everyone starts out breathing fire and screaming they'll settle for nothing less than an F-15E. Then T-6s role around and dudes figure out they hate pulling Gs. Then you get capes briefs on other aircraft that sound pretty awesome. Then you get guys who decide that the b-course sounds like way too much asspain, or that the community doesn't sound like their cup of tea. By the time its all done, its a toss up on what guys want to go where and where they stand. Its impossible to predict and the only no-shit way to get what you want is to do your best, don't ###### over your bros and have a good attitude.

Edited by gohornsgo

I still can't believe you found the time to do that. Go study for your ES checkride, Level 69 Dungeon Master. (But thanks for the gouge, as always)

Also, 28s are awesome. Drop night isnt here yet, but I know at least one guy near the top of our class is honed in on them along with at least a couple more in the top-third. Interestingly enough, rumors have been floating around that our drop is going to be pretty Strike Eagle heavy and only one of our top 3 dudes is interested at all. If you're not already at NASP, you'll figure out pretty quick that everyone starts out breathing fire and screaming they'll settle for nothing less than an F-15E. Then T-6s role around and dudes figure out they hate pulling Gs. Then you get capes briefs on other aircraft that sound pretty awesome. Then you get guys who decide that the b-course sounds like way too much asspain, or that the community doesn't sound like their cup of tea. By the time its all done, its a toss up on what guys want to go where and where they stand. Its impossible to predict and the only no-shit way to get what you want is to do your best, don't ###### over your bros and have a good attitude.

I'm not at Pcola yet, I'll be heading there at the end of September. My question for you is, how are people ranked? What aspects of training and other things go into creating a score? I'm curious how someone could #### over their classmates, are people given the opportunity to throw their bros under the bus to make them look good in training?

Will never forget this: One muggy Pcola day I crawl into a T-39 at VT-86 for a low-level ride with two of my other buds. G-man and myself have our self made low level charts and radar predictions for our portion of the flight. Third guy gets in...C/S "P".... and pulls out his chart and predictions. He then proceeds to pull out individual low level charts and predictions he created for the instructor and the TRACOR T-39 pilot.

Now our instructor was a salty, bean-stalk tall A-6 B/N who a few years earlier earned some air medals for flying under power lines in Iraq avoiding AAA/SAMS (GW#1) and still managed to get his LGB's on-target/shack, and our TRACOR pilot was a A-4/A-7 Vietnam vet with more green ink in his logbook and things shot at him than Jesus Christ himself. The look on their faces was priceless when Q handed them their own personal charts. G-Man and I were just sitting there ready to pound this bag of douche. The pilot just threw his someplace in the cockpit to his left (I was sitting in the rear[sTS])...and the instructor just rolled his eyes and handed them back (he could fly the route with no chart as I found out on a later flight). Don't be a D-bag trying to snob the teachers or leadership...help your buddies that might be struggling. Party on your time off and put your nose in the books and chair-fly the shit out of things to get ready for game time.

My class leader was a Marine Capt who had just come from OV-10's as an observer and was tracking/transitioning toward the F/A-18D WSO program. Nobody has ever had higher grades in VT-86 before or since 'Hap'. He already knew how to do everything, heck...he was forward observing and telling half the VT-86 A-6 Intruder pilots and B/N's instructor staff where to put their bombs a few years earlier (again, ref GW#1). **It wasn't the grades that he was known for...it was the fact that every day he was in the ready room quietly talking to the instructors and looking over grades to see who in the class was struggling and he went out of his way to help those students improve**. He would chair-fly and critique in a non-hammering way and that was priceless. I pink slipped my low level check ride on my ######ing birthday not soon after the above D-Bag event (with the same salty instructor, who cut me some slack because of the haze on the route and gave me a two below = no pink). Hap was right there the next day offering advice and assistance to get my head back in the game. Hap went on to a fine career (sqd CO) and I even think he was in county when I was (we might have shared some airspace in a stack or two). Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to thank him since he passed a few years ago in a civil air accident. Be Hap, don't be "P".

Apologize for the long read folks.

Cheers

Collin

Edit: damn font size, and changed the C/S to protect the guilty.

Edited by ATIS
  • Upvote 5

I'm not at Pcola yet, I'll be heading there at the end of September. My question for you is, how are people ranked? What aspects of training and other things go into creating a score? I'm curious how someone could #### over their classmates, are people given the opportunity to throw their bros under the bus to make them look good in training?

You are ranked based off of everyday events such as tests, simulator sessions (T-6 and T-1), and flights including T-25 sims (this being the big one esp. checkrides and/or end of block rides in the T-25), your flight commander ranking goes in there as well. When I went through I never really saw people "throwing people under the bus" but what I will say is that you can def. tell who in your class is struggling and who is not. Help out those who are. I remember sitting down with a couple of guys and helping them out when they hooked checkrides or even daily rides. Do it for the right reason though! Don't do it to hold it over their head like they owe you, do it because these are guys that you want to see graduate with you and not get rolled back.

• Upvote 2

Rank is based on performance, like BoneWso said. That being said, training isn't an individual sport. The dudes you see screwing their buddies over are the guys that horde information trying to get a leg up or (like in ATIS spectacularly entertaining example of douchebaggery) kissing up to instructors to make themselves look better than their peers. Its hard to grasp once you're in that environment since the natural inclination is that you want to be the "best of the best of the best, sir" and its "survival of the fittest", but after a while you learn to depend on each other and work together to get through the gauntlet. Helping guys out isn't going to sabotage you...the program is set up so that the strong guys that help their bros rise to the top. Some guys never figure that out though, and stick out like a sore thumb as they work on their chart in the corner not letting anyone peek over their shoulder while the rest of the class works together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting more & more interested in the gunship (well, we'll see how well SP goes. Still got a minute before I start that.) Where do people who drop those typically stand in their class?

AC's to Herbie tend to be near the top of their class, AC's to Cannon vary widely.

• 2 weeks later...
ok thanks! I honestly don't know what my class standing is. I didn't even know what it was coming out of the T-6 phase. Obviously Hurlburt would be preferable (I love the Gulf Coast!) but I'll take Cannon too.

^be careful what you wish for with Cannon

C-130s are Guard & Reserve only...those who drop them knew all along of course!

KC-135, not sure tbh. Last 2 drops had one each...maybe one per class or every other class it looks like.

what's so bad about Cannon? Sorry for my ignorance...I've heard a few bad things but no place is gonna be perfect I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...