CSO drop nights

It was like that for RJs when I went through...then again we had a scarf drop/track select for nav or EWO earlier so it was obvious. Were they not doing that early on at P-cola? My limited understanding of that community is that while some navs are able to transition to EWO, the EWOs there would not fly the nav seat so it's really two different crew positions that would need to be identified from the start. Anyone out there that can speak more intelligently on that?

It was like that for RJs when I went through...then again we had a scarf drop/track select for nav or EWO earlier so it was obvious. Were they not doing that early on at P-cola? My limited understanding of that community is that while some navs are able to transition to EWO, the EWOs there would not fly the nav seat so it's really two different crew positions that would need to be identified from the start. Anyone out there that can speak more intelligently on that?

no cross-training between nav and EWO in RJ. We had a limited crossflow experiment that ended a couple years ago.

• Upvote 1

Atleast for the FY11 classes, crew position wasn't specified at Drop Night for RJ's and was supposed to be determined after folks showed up for the FTU. Buffs had a similar set up, but EC's and AC's specified Nav/EWO at the drop.

• 4 weeks later...

'Merica (aka class 12-07) drop:

B-1

F-15 X3

JSTARS

C-130 (Res)

RC-135

B-52 X4

U-28 X3

AC-130 x2 (one nav, one ewo, both Cannon)

MC-130J (Cannon)

C-130 x2(Guard)

C-130 x5 (including one to Elmo and one to Yakota)

AWACS

LC-130 (Guard)

HC-130 (Me, Moody)

Many people got their top choices or close to it. To my knowledge only the JSTARS guy was disappointed.

B-1

F-15 X3

JSTARS

C-130 (Res)

RC-135

B-52 X4

U-28 X3

MC-130J (Cannon)

C-130 x2(Guard)

AWACS

LC-130 (Guard)

HC-130 (Me, Moody)

Many people got their top choices or close to it. To my knowledge only the JSTARS guy was disappointed.

That's a nice looking drop! Congrats to all. Good to see multiple U-28s as well, tell those guys if they want some gouge to come on here and PM me.

B-1

F-15 X3

JSTARS

C-130 (Res)

RC-135

B-52 X4

U-28 X3

MC-130J (Cannon)

C-130 x2(Guard)

AWACS

LC-130 (Guard)

HC-130 (Me, Moody)

I heard that one of the Buff guys wasn't too happy about it either. It was a nice drop for you guys though. I really liked how you did it. I am just hoping that the lack of Bones recently means there will be more for me in 12-10.

B-1

F-15 X3

JSTARS

C-130 (Res)

RC-135

B-52 X4

U-28 X3

MC-130J (Cannon)

C-130 x2(Guard)

AWACS

LC-130 (Guard)

HC-130 (Me, Moody)

Nice drop!

If you go by the projected/expected figures that the CC told us for FY12, then that's it for the JSTARS until 13-01. Anyone know if that sort of projection is often accurate anyway? In that same vein, if those numbers are legit, they've still got to drop close to 20 HC's.

I think they are very much ballpark numbers. If you look at some of the platforms the projected average is staying pretty consistent. I would guess those numbers vary as the people in each platform change including washouts and such. It is definitely not the number of aircraft in the inventory as it makes no sense with the numbers for some of the aircraft.

If you have access to the AF Portal, you can find the consolidated Graduate Programs Requirement Document (GPRD) on some of the ACC TRSS Det websites/Sharepoints. Within it, you can find the projected number of pipeline students each community wants per year through 2015. Wish I could give you more gouge... But it's Sunday and I left my personal CAC reader at home.

• 3 weeks later...

12-08 Drop

2x U-28

1x C-130

5x RC-135

1x KC-135

3x F-15E

3x EC-130

2x B-1

2x MC-130

1x B-52

I may have missed one or two, my kids wouldn't sit still surprise, surprise.

Just curious, but what does the nav do on the U-28? This drop looks a million times better than ours was back in the day. All we had were a crap-ton of slick -130s and dregs -135s and E-3s.

I was in 95-08 for reference. Yeah, I'm old.

Just curious, but what does the nav do on the U-28? This drop looks a million times better than ours was back in the day. All we had were a crap-ton of slick -130s and dregs -135s and E-3s.

I was in 95-08 for reference. Yeah, I'm old.

With the combined program now, its a full menu of airframes we can drop to.

You won't get much on the U-28 mission responsibilities; even though some classifications have changed, the community is pretty tight lipped.

What does the nav do on any airplane?

Depends on the plane ;)

Just curious, but what does the nav do on the U-28?

dsul413 is right, the classification of the U-28 mission has changed recently, but no one (including myself) really wants to be the first one kicked in the nuts for talking about stuff on the internet. There is more info out there both SIPR obviously as well as unclass now if you're really interested and take the time to do the looking.

BL is that IMHO the U-28 has a great mission and the CSO gets to do a lot of things that are somewhat unique when compared to what a nav/EWO/WSO typically does on other platforms.

Congrats on that last drop, that looked really, really legit all around. If any of the U-28 dudes are on here from that class, PM me if you want more info ahead of getting your orders to HRT.