INVEST - DOD wants your ideas to cut waste

JP84U2

Change the budgeting process so squadrons don't lose money if they don't spend their whole budget. Plenty of buffoonerous things have been purchased during the end-of-year buys solely to spend the rest of the budget.

Change the budgeting process so squadrons don't lose money if they don't spend their whole budget. Plenty of buffoonerous things have been purchased during the end-of-year buys solely to spend the rest of the budget.

THIS!

The two plasma's in our flight room are nice...we haven't used them in...well ever. And we just got a nice new podium. Not sure why, because we already had one.

New computers though? Nah. Gotta go through comm or some bullshit for that.

Always money to buy stuff we don't need, of course.

Seriously though, I think there are enough members here, along with friends and coworkers, to have the DoD take a serious look at TIB.

Previous member supported campaigns have led to the destruction of careers, reputations, egos...eliminating TIB would be a triumph for the ages.

TIB, pack your pantyhose, your days are numbered.

:beer::salut::flag_waving:

EDIT: This literally takes 5 minutes or less. Do it.

Edited by Gravedigger

Done, what did you guys put for estimated savings amount?

50 ppl x $40,000 avg salary/benefits = $2,000,000

transportation, costumes, sets, lighting, lost time from 'volunteers' = $xx,000,000

I put untold millions, was that appropriate?

THIS!

The two plasma's in our flight room are nice...we haven't used them in...well ever. And we just got a nice new podium. Not sure why, because we already had one.

New computers though? Nah. Gotta go through comm or some bullshit for that.

Always money to buy stuff we don't need, of course.

1. Going through Comm isn't the problem. The problems stem from the unbelievable bureaucracy Congress and other agencies have placed upon them.

2. I agree that money could be better spent, but Congress allocates money to be used in certain ways. Unless Congress changes how money is allocated, this cannot change in any meaningful way.

3. I agree money cab be spent more wisely. I just wish Congress would make changes so we could do that.

Done. Long time reader and rarely post, but this subject is one that drives me nuts on a daily basis. So here was my submission...

1). Cut Tops In Blue - estimated savings is untold (much needed Airmen in their career field, volunteer hours, hours spent at the event that most are "voluntold" to attend, etc.)

2). End of year spending - If a squadron is able to "get the job done" without using it's allocated budget they should be praised, not punished. Too many dollars spent on unnecessary flatscreen televisions.

3). Stop the unnecessary change seen year upon year of programs such as ADLS Computer Based Training. The Human Trafficking CBT has changed every year that it has been around, and to me...it is still the same as it was when it started.

4). Take a good hard look at who is deploying and why. If the deployed personnel is mission critical, then fine. But when we are spending extra money to place additional personnel in theater so that a deployed member can "have a day off" is wasteful...we are at war. Deployments are not supposed to be easy. Most flying crews are given the necessary crew/pilot rest time off, and then they are back to the grind.

5). Stop changing the physical training requirements. Start by taking the people that cannot pass the current PT Test...and send them to the civilian sector. There are standards and we are not upholding the ones that are currently in place.

6). Seriously review the performance report process. There is entirely way too much time spent "filling white spaces" on OPR/EPR's, when that person could be filling a role in a critically manned career field, creating an environment where the product the AF provides is one that strives for perfection rather than "just getting by".

7). Cut the unnecessary Aerospace Basic Course at Maxwell. It is a complete waste of time. I attended when it was only 3 or 4 weeks, and I can't imagine what they are doing for 5-6 weeks. I do not remember a thing from that course.

8). Stop unnecessarily changing aircraft basing plans. Most recently are the F-22's that were placed at Holloman AFB for about a year...and now are being moved out to make room for the F-16 B-course...and this is only the most recent.

The flying hour program. The whole systemic problem with spending it/ fly it/ use it or lose it needs serious change. Units need to be rewarded for frugality, not punished the next FY by cutting their budgets/FHP.

I Agree with that! Let the funding roll over. TWCF money does anyway

As for the whole "use it or lose it" philosophy, a method needs to be implemented where units can have up to a set percentage (say 5 percent) of their budget that can be "recycled" and will be allocated as they "spent" it. This "recycled" money would then be sent back up the chain somewhere and put to either savings or programs that require more money. Those reviewing that "recycled" money couldn't cut a unit's spending based on that percentage. Money outside that percentage that wasn't spent would still be fair game to being cut in the next FY budget (or realistically would be spent on plasma TVs just so it was spent), but at least it would put some reigns on the issue. This would allow people with morals can choose to be responsible with the money rather than just wasting it to prevent an issue of being short changed and limiting mission capability the next year. And there would have to be a percentage limit so that unit wouldn't look bad for giving back while others used their budget.

Edited by AEWingsMN

Keep it up!

Speaks volumes about how terribly managed (not lead.... there's very little leadership that actually occurs) this organization is. We'll see blues everyday and color-coded-by-rank reflective belts before we see TIB destroyed, sad as that is.