AGR Promotions

Guest Magicrat

Guest Magicrat

Question for any AGR's:

If you are hired in to a "Major" position as a TR Major, are you not eligible for promotion to LTC (w/7 years in grade as Maj) while in that position (ie. do you have to wait until that 4 year AGR tour is over and find a LTC position to actually Pin-on LTC)?

Also....any idea if the bonus is available to UAS pilots?

Thanks

As for the bonus, you'll have to read the ACP announcement to be sure, but I don't see why not. You don't have to be in a flying billet to get the bonus, but you have to meet certain eligibiltiy requirements (years of aviation service, have aeronautical orders, etc). The agreement is available on the REAMO site...to to the AF portal, look for career guard/reserve on the right, got to Active Guard/Reserve Management Office and look for the ACP link. That's all from memory, so I might be off a little in the navigation. The bonus varies depending on how long ago you graduated UPT. Currently, between 10 and 14 years of aviation service will get you the 4 yr, 25K bonus. More than 14 years gets you a 3 year/15K bonus. You can re-up for more 2 year stints up to a certain number of years of aviation service, based on your commitment, but you have to remain eligible for aeronautical orders throught the entire time of your bonus, i.e. you have to have met your gate months.

As for promotions, when I signed the paperwork for my job, one of the things I signed was that I would not seek out a higher grade job for at least 2 years (on a 4 year tour). Not sure if you signed one of those or not. I'm told there are ways around that piece of paper/2 year requirement, but not sure. You will meet the mandatory LTC board eventually even if you are sitting in a Maj billet, but even if/when selected you won't be allowed to pin on until you are actually in a LTC billet. You don't have to complete your full 4 year set of orders before you seek out another job, so you if you see an AGR LTC job that interests you, you can apply for it and even PCS/PCA if required. Turns out there aren't that many AGR LTC billets out there. The list narrows if you aren't wanting to PCS.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Danny Noonin

The other wicket you have to contend with is Maj, LtCol, Col are all "Controlled Grades" in the AGR program, there are limited amount of each as you go up. So you could be in an O-5 slot, meet the TIG and not be promotable because you are an AGR. It's easier to get promoted militarily as a technician or a TR.

So you could be in an O-5 slot, meet the TIG and not be promotable because you are an AGR.

If you're in an O-5 slot and you get selected for O-5 on the promotion board, then you get promoted. The quota is met via the slots allocated. You can serve in an O-5 slot as an O-4, but can't serve in an O-4 billet as an O-5. BL...still have to meet a board for O-5 with a PRF and everything (i.e. it's not simply time in grade), but you also have to be in a slot that allows you to get promoted. TIG is only used (to my knowledge) to determine which board you meet. If you are an O-4 in an O-4 slot, then your O-5 board is about 3 years after your REGAF active duty peers meet their primary O-5 board and it is called your "mandatory promotion board"...if selected, it still means nothing unless you find an O-5 slot to hire you. If you are an O-4 in an O-5 slot, then your O-5 board is a year or so earlier than the mandatory board date and you can pin on once selected. I could be wrong on some of those details, but that's my understanding.

Edited by Danny Noonin

I'll caveat that I am speaking from the Guard side of the house. The above is true if you are a technician or traditional Guardsman (really the same militarily). If you are an AGR you need a control grade to get that next rank even if you an O-4 in an O-5 slot and eligible for position vacancy (which cuts 3 years off TIG, from 7 to 4 years).

• 7 months later...

This isn't an AGR promotion question, but a traditional guardsman promotion question. I'm currently a traditional reservist and was recently hired by an ANG unit. During the interview, they said that they can PV captains to major at the 4 year time-in-grade point. Any truth to this? I've had a hard time finding that written in any regs. Can anyone on the inside confirm or deny?

This isn't an AGR promotion question, but a traditional guardsman promotion question. I'm currently a traditional reservist and was recently hired by an ANG unit. During the interview, they said that they can PV captains to major at the 4 year time-in-grade point. Any truth to this? I've had a hard time finding that written in any regs. Can anyone on the inside confirm or deny?

I don't have the reg in front of me, but I believe that is true. I was PV'd into Major under this example, so to me, that makes it possible. That has been over 4 yrs ago, so I am not sure if anything has changed.

IRT to the AGR promotions, it is regulated by the "Control Grade" issue as previously mentioned. A good thing to remember is that you are not automatically added to the "control grade list", you have to make sure that HRO puts you on it. I do not believe they will do it unless you (or your supervisor/commander) ask them to do it and it has to be requested via e-mail or memo. I am lucky enough to be in an O-5 position and on the control grade list-I believe I am #1 on the list for O-5 promotion when I become eligible later this year. Doesn't mean I will automatically get promoted, but will be promotion-eligible and that all of the wickets that I can control have been accomplished.

Edited by herkbum

• 10 months later...