C-17 Down on Elmendorf

uhhello

Airshow practice? Really? What a waste.

I watched the KC-135 hit the dirt at Fairchild. That seemed like a waste of lives to me. This no less so 23 years later. Tough stuff for the unit and the families.

Him him.

The comparison doesn't seem to fit, IMHO. The C-17 was designed for low-level flight and wasn't caught in wake turbulence of a heavy. I fail to see the similarities other than they are both cargo airframes.

The comparison doesn't seem to fit, IMHO. The C-17 was designed for low-level flight and wasn't caught in wake turbulence of a heavy. I fail to see the similarities other than they are both cargo airframes.

They both crashed training for an airshow.

"3rd/176th Wing C-17 Air Show DEMO team training/Upgrade"

Upgrade?

Upgrade?

Probably just a canned SMS/G2 comment. The Demo profile requires 4 crew members, there is a possibility the Safety Observer could have been upgrading to that position. The P, CP, and LM had to have been qualified or there would have been more people on board.

Airshow practice? Really? What a waste.

I watched the KC-135 hit the dirt at Fairchild. That seemed like a waste of lives to me. This no less so 23 years later. Tough stuff for the unit and the families.

Him him.

March 13. March 13 was a bad day for KC-135s, in addition to this one, there was the one in 1982 from the AZ ANG that crashed into the Perryville prison west of Phoenix, following a midair with a light GA plane.

http://www.adn.com/2010/07/30/1388455/military-identifies-c-17-crewmen.html

Military identifies C-17 crewmen killed in crash

Anchorage Daily News / adn.com

Published: July 30th, 2010 11:48 AM

Last Modified: July 30th, 2010 11:49 AM

The military today released the names of the crew members killed Wednesday evening in the crash of a Boeing C-17 cargo jet at Elmendorf Air Force Base.

The crew was:

• Maj. Michael Freyholtz, a pilot assigned to the Alaska Air National Guard's 249th Airlift Squadron.

• Maj. Aaron Malone, also a pilot assigned to the 249th Airlift Squadron.

• Capt. Jeffrey Hill, a pilot assigned to Elmendorf's 517th Airlift Squadron.

• MSgt. Thomas Cicardo, 249th Airlift Squadron loadmaster.

"We come to work with immense sorrow after four of our fellow airmen lost their lives in the C-17 crash at Elmendorf AFB Wednesday," said Brig. Gen. Charles E. "Chuck" Foster, 176th Wing commander, Alaska Air National Guard. "They were more than valued Airmen: They were our teammates, friends, family members and fellow Alaskans. We mourn their loss and share the deep sadness of their families."

A board of officers is investigating the accident.

Rest in peace my friends and brothers.

Edited by Hansel

Rest in peace all.

Capt Hill hits close to home. UAA ROTC grad. Met with him when he showed the det around the squadron last year. Definatally a good dude. Sad to see all go so early in life. Cheers bro, thanks for your service! Thank every crew member for everything. It's a serious business we're in.

Very Sobering moment.

Edited by blud84

I flew with Mike Freyholtz in the 15th at Charleston. When I got to McChord I did not get to see him much, I do remember when he left to go to Alaska. Mike was also a great photographer. Some of his pictures are still hanging in the 62 OSS training shop at McChord.

RIP Brother

:beer::beer::beer::beer: