Abdominoplasty

Guest BigTex

Guest BigTex

Hey there yall, I used to be a 300lb lard. Decided to clean myself up and join the military. I just got back from field training and I'm thinking about going for a pilot slot. But I'm also going to be having a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery here soon to remove all the lose skin around my waist.

Anyways, I've talked to some NCOs at our det and they tell me it should be fine, but I would like to double check with what you guys think. Will that have any impact on me going up for a pilot slot? Will I be automatically DQd?

Thanks alot

Guest goducks

Hey there yall, I used to be a 300lb lard. Decided to clean myself up and join the military. I just got back from field training and I'm thinking about going for a pilot slot. But I'm also going to be having a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery here soon to remove all the lose skin around my waist.

Anyways, I've talked to some NCOs at our det and they tell me it should be fine, but I would like to double check with what you guys think. Will that have any impact on me going up for a pilot slot? Will I be automatically DQd?

Thanks alot

I don't see an issue with the surgery itself. As long as you're healed and can perform physically I don't think the USAF will care one bit.

GD

• 1 month later...
Guest BigTex

Thanks for the response. I'm curious about another issue with it. I scheduled the surgery to happen Nov 23rd, now would it be wise to do it before I go up to the rated board and see if I can get a slot? I was talking to my NCO and she was telling me something along the lines of "You never know what could effect it." Can anybody clarify if it will have any effect on my chances of getting a slot and going up to the board since I will be on a medical status around the time my scores are sent off.

Thanks

Edited by BigTex

I would just call a flight surgeon at what ever the closest base is. There is a reg out there (not sure what it is) that defines what is allowed, what is waiverable, and what is not allowed. If they dont know off the top of their head they can look it up. Bottom line though, do what will make you happy. If its not allowed, is it something you are willing to sacrifice to be a pilot? Only you can answer that question, if it comes to that. I have seen a few of my friends push through (and suffer) through some chronic illnesses just so they can fly. To them it was worth it, I guess.

Best of luck.

Guest goducks

Thanks for the response. I'm curious about another issue with it. I scheduled the surgery to happen Nov 23rd, now would it be wise to do it before I go up to the rated board and see if I can get a slot? I was talking to my NCO and she was telling me something along the lines of "You never know what could effect it." Can anybody clarify if it will have any effect on my chances of getting a slot and going up to the board since I will be on a medical status around the time my scores are sent off.

Thanks

I looked in the waiver guide and didn't see any specific policy regarding the surgery you're considering. There is a policy on gastric bypass surgery, which is only applicable in the sense that the post-surgical result is a lot of loose skin. That was addressed as a possible aeromedical concern.

Best I can guess is that if you have the surgery, there could be some discussion about the scar tissue being abnormally sensitive to flight suits, restraints, etc. If you don't get it, the same discussion could be had about loose skin.

I can't believe it would be a hard DQ as long as you heal up correctly, but don't take that as gospel. BTW- as far as calling a flight surgeon. Not a bad idea, but I'm willing to bet you won't find one who has any experience in dealing with this type of surgery for someone applying for an FCI slot. Can't hurt though.

GD