Seven Day Option

Jaded

Dam....wasn't tracking that 7-day opting prevents a Palace Chase. That's definitely a factor in my calculus. Guard is the preferred option, but my personal situation dictates that I can't really be very picky about taking a job (Reserve vs Guard). 
My real question was is it likely that AFPC pulls some BS and fast tracks orders for a PCS departure date in the next 55 days to prevent me having a 7-day option even though I'm on the summer VML. I'm tracking the needs of the Air Force stuff that they could send me. I don't think its likely they send me to staff against my will, and a PCS would be expensive and they would lose probably 2-3 months before I finish MQT on top of me trying to get out 6 months early. 

Relax. They still haven’t finished handing out Winter cycle assignments...and the earliest move dates are in a week.

6 hours ago, nsplayr said:

My experience was:

• You cannot 7-day opt if you have greater than 2 years ADSC on the RNLTD to your new assignment, you don't even have the option if you have > 2 years retainability
  • Once you have a separation date set as a result of executing a 7 day opt, you cannot Palace Chase. You can however Palace Front if you plan on going to the Guard which will help assure as seamless transfer and no breaks in service (worked for me)
    • You're also not eligible for things like VSP, which I unfortunately missed out on since I already had a separation date set; not applicable right now but recorded for posterity
  • The clock does start on notification. I was notified by an AFPC email while deployed approx. 4 months prior to my RNLTD and had 7 days from that time to decide
  • Big Blue can absolutely send you anyways - I was sent on my assignment with 11.69 months of retainability, i.e. far short of the "normal" 24-month minimum for a PCS
    • That being said, I think most people end up remaining in place and serving as required at their current duty station, at least that's what happened to some other folks who 7 day opt'd the same assignment I eventually had to go on
  • Definitely get smart on the appropriate regs, and if you can, gain the support of your SQ/CC and functional manager for your desired COA

May the odds ever be in your favor!

Weird.  I managed to Palace Chase successfully after 7-day opting.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, matmacwc said:

How did you do it in vMPF?  They usually only allow 1 seperation option.

I had to go back to my already approved separation and amend the separation date.  I provided the supporting documentation for PC as additional attachments.  All said, it was about 4 months from submission to tentative approval, and another month after that to make everything official.  One thing to keep in your crosscheck as well is that the routing for coordination still goes through your previous management chain, so that can complicate the process.