Current Ops Tempo Question

Truman08

Are Bone copilots flying more now?

Yes. The days of Bone Cos flying once ever 6 weeks has ended, for now. Most Cos are at least scheduled to fly enough to meet RAP and then some. Now, how much you actually fly...well, that's a crap shoot altogether.

The need for Co's is there right now, bottom line. We have a few out here who got to our squadron as we were going out the door, and now a few short months later they're CMR and logging combat time.

I'm a first assignment Mildenhall guy. Some of what's been said about the assignment is true, but not all of it. In my own opinion, Mildenhall is one of the best assignments you can get out of T-1s. As far as Ops tempo, as the post started to be about, you won't deploy nearly as much as AMC dudes. However, they are not just for people who ask to go. As a new Co, you will deploy shortly after you get through MCT. No option. How soon just depends on how AFPC has assigned people recently. I first got there in May 08 and I deployed in Feb 09, because AFPC had overloaded it with guys fresh out of UPT. Now though, new Co's are deploying pretty quickly. Most guys deploy only once as a Co, a few had to deploy twice now. Mildenhall has committed 3 crews to CENTCOM, so there are always 3 down there, if you go once or twice as a co, it's all timing.

As far as the comment about upgrade, I upgraded to AC exactly two years to the day from when I got there. Which isn’t too far off of most AMC guys. I was pretty early to upgrade at Mildenhall, but about average for the guys from my Altus class that I’ve kept in touch with. If you’re there for a three year tour, expect to deploy again as an AC. So, two deployments in a 3 year assignment isn’t bad at all.

The reason we have so few people deploy, is because Ops tempo at home is pretty high. Operational sorties from EGUN are the norm. I went from September-February of this last winter without flying anything other than a priority 1 mission or a Coronet. I haven’t been on a “training” line since last summer. Those are mostly for checkrides, new MCT people, and occasional end of the semester bean killing.

TDY’s are pretty good, I’ve been to Souda Bay Greece several times, Moron, Bulgaria, Iceland, Lajes lots, Sigonella, several trips to Germany, and I went to an airshow in the Czech Republic last fall, just to name a few off the top of my head.

So overall, Mildenhall has a lot of benefits, including the fact that you’re living in England, and few of the same cons that AMC has. I’m not saying it’s perfect by any means, but you could definitely do a lot worse.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, T-1 guys can NOT track B-52s or B-1s. Those are T-38 studs only.

I never really understood that beyond "that's how it's been" and the lack of fighters for T-38 studs.

Edited by contraildash

What about the ops tempo for ACs, MCs, and U-28s? I assume it's high but I haven't heard anything specific

For your third option there I can answer questions if you have them. For pilots expect 6-9 months to get through training (the length of wait is getting better), then deploy probably 2-3 months after checkride. 2 on 2-3 off for the forseable future. Upgrade to AC after 3-5 trips depending on how much you suck and what kind of hours you get. Ok flying at home, will fly the sh*t out of you deployed. For me (I'm a CSO so YMMV) 2 trips = 500 hours. Small crew, great mission, good dudes at squadron PM if you have specifics.

• 1 year later...
Guest enzo216

Thread Revival...

This thread's a year old, just wondering what's changed and if I'm on the right track. I'm submitting my T-38 dream sheet in a week and wanted to find out how many total days (TDY and deployed) you can roughly expect to be gone per year. I got a lot of good gouge from this site and my IPs as well, about the total numbers. I just want to see if I’m giving my wife an accurate picture of what she can expect from each airframe from those currently in the MWS. I know that for most jets it varies but I’m just trying to give my wife a rough idea. Can anyone let me know if I’m on the right track and how the TDY's will play into you're overall time away? Thanks for the help!

Most Fighters: 6 mo. deployed then back for a year (TDY’s?)

B-1: 6 mo. deployed then back for a year (minimal TDY’s?)

B-52: 4 mo. deployed then back for a year (minimal TDY’s?)

C-17: Varies a lot -- gone over 2/3 of the year between TDYs and deployments

C-5: No deployments, but gone 1/2 the year due to the added maintenance issues when TDY

E-3: Gone roughly 40 days a year (TDYs?)

E-8: Gone roughly 180 days a year (TDYs?)

KC-10: Gone 2/3 the year with TDY’s and deployments

KC-135: Gone 2/3 the year with TDY’s and deployments

RC-135: Gone roughly 180 days a year? (TDYs?)

C-21: ??

Thread Revival...

This thread's a year old, just wondering what's changed and if I'm on the right track. I'm submitting my T-38 dream sheet in a week and wanted to find out how many total days (TDY and deployed) you can roughly expect to be gone per year. I got a lot of good gouge from this site and my IPs as well, about the total numbers. I just want to see if I’m giving my wife an accurate picture of what she can expect from each airframe from those currently in the MWS. I know that for most jets it varies but I’m just trying to give my wife a rough idea. Can anyone let me know if I’m on the right track and how the TDY's will play into you're overall time away? Thanks for the help!

Most Fighters: 6 mo. deployed then back for a year (TDY’s?)

B-1: 6 mo. deployed then back for a year (minimal TDY’s?)

B-52: 4 mo. deployed then back for a year (minimal TDY’s?)

C-17: Varies a lot -- gone over 2/3 of the year between TDYs and deployments

C-5: No deployments, but gone 1/2 the year due to the added maintenance issues when TDY

E-3: Gone roughly 40 days a year (TDYs?)

E-8: Gone roughly 180 days a year (TDYs?)

KC-10: Gone 2/3 the year with TDY’s and deployments

RC-135: Gone roughly 180 days a year? (TDYs?)

C-21: ??

for B-1s, expect 3-4 TDYs/year outside of the 6 month (almost 7 if you are ADVON) deployment. One for Red Flag and one for Green Flag (2.5 weeks each), and one or two generic TDYs (airshows, conferences, etc). Iron swaps (duration anywhere from 5 days to who knows) as well although those are mostly volunteer. Throw in SOS at some point and there will be times when you only spend ~8ish months of your year home with the fam.

Another oft-forgotten part about the ops tempo is the relentless ORE/ORI schedule when your home that can make it difficult to take leave. I would imagine that is fairly universal, at least to ACC airframes.

Thread Revival...

My advice remains mostly the same for U-28s...definitely consider that route or at minimum prepare for it since we have a ton of former -38 dudes. New schemes for the squadrons are being implemented but aren't finalized and the total time deployed over the long term remains the same, about 2 months gone and about 2.5 months home, rinse, repeat. TDYs are maybe 2-4 weeks per year for exercises; mostly volunteer but some are voluntold.

Checks. I've been TDY 35 days in the past 18 months. I have been deployed 290.

EDIT: It also depends on which unit you end up at.

Edited by snizz

Guest Crew Report

Checks. I've been TDY 35 days in the past 18 months. I have been deployed 290.

Altus is hiring new help.

You'll just get a 180/365 possibly.

Your mileage may vary, but over the long term in the C-17, I've been tdy about 550 days in 3.5 years, including 460 overseas. there are busy times and slow times. The deployments are relatively short at 4 months unless you get tagged for caoc or mc-12, but the trips are frequent, short notice, and unpredictable.

Overseas F-16s are gone greater than half the time. The whole 6 months on, 1 year off that they advertise is not true currently. I'm currently at 2 years TOS with 14 months TDY/deployed, and am deploying again next week for another 3 months. You're gone more than you're home. I've heard that stateside F-16s are worse, with all of the WIC support/Hammer/Archer/etc on the books.

Overseas F-16s are gone greater than half the time. The whole 6 months on, 1 year off that they advertise is not true currently. I'm currently at 2 years TOS with 14 months TDY/deployed, and am deploying again next week for another 3 months. You're gone more than you're home. I've heard that stateside F-16s are worse, with all of the WIC support/Hammer/Archer/etc on the books.

True story...lots and lots of extra TDYs out there besides the normal AEF rotations for F-16s. I spent at least half of my 2.5 yrs at Hill on the road doing various good deeds around the world. Then there are the fun ORE/ORI type activities while you are home. Makes for a busy life...but most definitely worth it for a time. I can't imagine it getting any less demanding since they have closed more active squadrons in the 2 yrs since I left.

Makes for a busy life...but most definitely worth it for a time.

This.

I'm sure it applies to any airframe, queep aside.

Getting to fly airplanes and do the Lord's work around the world is not a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

More like deployed 4 four months, then home for a year with 30-60 days deployed during that year at a different location, and at least one 14 day major exercise thrown in for spin-up. Could be better; could be worse.

I don't know if you're speaking on the PACAF E-3s or old gouge, but currently at TIK it's 6-months on, 6 off since Odyssey Dawn/Unified Protector. The 30-60 days for counter-drug ops is also extended based on manning. That said, with what's going on in Libya, this could likely change within the next year.

Edited by Skyclops

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

I'm filling out my dream-sheet out of T-1s in the near future, and was looking for an update on the ops tempo out of the different heavy airframes. Specifically: KC-10s, C-5s, and C-17s, but all others are greatly appreciated as well. What's the good/bad/ugly about your airframe, lifestyle, and ops tempo? Thanks!

KC-135s at Mildenhall is the best kept tanker secret.

Supposedly USAFE pussed out and let AMC take the tankers there away. So now Mildenhall will be an AMC detachment. :vomit: We shall see how long it takes for that good deal to be screwed up, but you can trust that it WILL happen.

Kadena and Hickam are still safe bets, as PACAF told AMC to pound sand when they asked. Times are tough, and the good deals in the tanker are all slowly being killed off.

My own ops tempo? 300 days this last year TDY with 280 of that deployed. Oh yeah, and we are supposedly "overmanned" on IP's. God I hate the Air Force. :banghead: