Cannon AFB

Guest mil1

Mambo, what was the date on that rule, or better, when were you there. I carried in NM concealed each time I was there, and I know of a number of folks who are currently doing it...everyone I know including me thinks it is legal...I don't even have a NM carry permit, although some of them do, I have a TN one and TN has reciprocity with a bunch of states.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NMSL.pdf

This one is from July 2006, but the NRA usually does a pretty good job of keeping things up to date on their website.

Just curious, I gotta know if I need to be stealthy or not!

Guest tollfree969

Just got my NM CC licence. It was really easy but boring. You have a full day in the classroom and a full day at the range then a 90 day wait.

You have to have it or a state that has reciprocity w/ NM (google is your friend). I would not fvck w/ this if you don't have your license (big charges/pissed off commander).

Also, a good thing to remember is that your vehicle (car, motorcycle) is an extension of your home. That means that you can carry a concealed weapon w/out a license in your vehicle but once you break contact w/ that vehicle you will be illegal.

Hope this helps...

Edit: If you have to shoot someone, make sure you kill them. This will cut down on the lawsuit that they will probably win if they do live (NM liberal judges suck).

Edited by tollfree969

So where is the best place to live for those of us with the prospectus of moving to cannon afb (clovis or portales). Any comments?

Based on the few times I've been out there (3) I'd vote for Clovis if you're going to live off base. The northeast part of town has some nice housing areas, and is close to the nicer side of town (the north end of town is where the Wal-Mart, Chili's, Applebee's, Mall, etc. is). I've heard people say that Portales is the nicer town between the two, but from what I've seen, it's actually more rundown. Plus there's not much in Portales other than housing, so you're still going to be driving to Clovis to eat, hang out at Kelly's, etc.

My $.03.

So where is the best place to live for those of us with the prospectus of moving to cannon afb (clovis or portales). Any comments?

I lived there for several years as a kid, and I can definitely tell you that the NE part of town is where you want to live. Like it was said in the post above me, all of the stuff you need is along North Prince St...past Llano Estacado Blvd. You don't want to live in Portales...its a much smaller, older town and a longer drive to the base.

Oh yeah, Clovis does has its fair share of crime, but what town doesn't? If you live in those areas, it will probably be a factor. If you live in the NE part of town, you are good to go.

If anyone else has any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

• 3 months later...
Guest tracer

Does anyone know if people that are PCS at Cannon try to live places other than clovis. I am getting there in a couple of months and as a single guy, I don't really want to be so far from civilization. Wasn't sure if living closer to Amarillo or Lubbock was a viable option or if anyone was trying something else.

Does anyone know if people that are PCS at Cannon try to live places other than clovis. I am getting there in a couple of months and as a single guy, I don't really want to be so far from civilization. Wasn't sure if living closer to Amarillo or Lubbock was a viable option or if anyone was trying something else.

A quick look at Google Earth and you soon realize that you have three choices within reason...Cannon base housing, Clovis or Portales. Eastern NM Uni is in Portales so yeah, some college atmosphere there for ya. Lubbock is about 80 miles or so away, not much in between except farm land. Not really feasable with gas prices today. Amarillo is even farther away, and has a cattle stock yard that will take your breath away...literally.

My advice would be to go TDY as much as you can.

Guest Cap-10
Looking for info on Cannon AFB

Sure, Cannon AFB is located at 34°23′54″N, 103°19′40″W.

Could you be more vague? :bash:

Since know one else has said it, read the BaseOps ROE for searching first.

Since you could be looking for anything from average temperature, good schools, or how many McDonalds they have, try these:

Cannon AFB HomePage

Cannon AFB from Wiki

Cannon AFB on Global Security

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

I wouldn't reccommend living in Portales (Eastern NM Univ). If you thought Clovis sucked, Portales sucks even more. Its probably about half the size as Clovis. For a single guy, living in Clovis is really the only option.

I went to school in Lubbock, while my parents lived in Clovis, so I've made that drive about 100 times. Not something you'd want to do on a daily basis. It'll take you 1.5 hrs to drive to Clovis, then another 20 min to get to the base. The drive from Amarillo is almost exactly the same time/distance...and Amarillo doesn't have Texas Tech!

Guest C-21 Pilot

Amarillo, Lubbock? WTF? Why not Vegas?

Any town that claims to have a Wal-Mart in the nicer side has got to suck. Hand it to ACC to put bases in sucky places...w/ VERY few exceptions.

• 2 years later...

You'll be awaiting training and then in training for a long time here. Once you're trained, expect to be gone as much as you're home. That's squadron life.

Clovis is flat, excessively windy, dusty, and smells like cow 2-3 nights a week. There's a Walmart, a Lowes, an Albertsons, a Hobby Lobby, a Hastings bookstore, a tiny mall, a small zoo, a few restaurants and a smattering of other places to go. The people are very nice, but they can't drive at all. Don't expect any good deals if you need something done, but there are definitely some honest contractors and businessmen out there. The fiber optic internet you can get is some of the fastest I've seen. They also have Patriot Outdoors, an excellent shooting range including a moving target range.

The rental market is practically nonexistent with either broken down shoeboxes or extremely overpriced houses. Check Ahrn.com. Preowned houses are really overpriced. With the additional demand on the market due to base growth prices are up. New houses are on par with the rest of the south. Expect $110-$130 per square foot. I can recommend Linn Custom Homes for good build quality, reasonable prices, and a good warranty. The two "good" elementary schools are Mesa and Zia. Houses in their zones sell for more, but are also more apt to sell.

Military members tend to cluster in the same neighborhoods. You will be a part of the upper income segment. The communities are very tight and supportive with all the deployments. Also good squadron unity among the spouses, but not the crazy weird kind.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Trying this again, maybe I'll have better luck posting during the week...

I'm very likely headed to Cannon in the Oct-Jan timeframe to be an AC-130H Nav. Looking for updates on the standard info--training, deployments, housing, nightlife (haha), etc. I'm single, late 20s, will be a junior Capt when I PCS. Not very interested in buying a house currently, would rather rent, and from what I've seen and heard the rental market around Clovis isn't the greatest. I'd at least like to find a place in a decent neighborhood and close to some of the folks I'll be working with.

Also wondering what the local area/leave policy is and how people go about getting anywhere farther away than Albuquerque. Does everyone just drive to Lubbock or Amarillo and hop on a flight there? I know one guy on here has a couple of his own planes, have any others gone that route?

Thanks in advance,

Rman

Trying this again, maybe I'll have better luck posting during the week...

I'm very likely headed to Cannon in the Oct-Jan timeframe to be an AC-130H Nav. Looking for updates on the standard info--training, deployments, housing, nightlife (haha), etc. I'm single, late 20s, will be a junior Capt when I PCS. Not very interested in buying a house currently, would rather rent, and from what I've seen and heard the rental market around Clovis isn't the greatest. I'd at least like to find a place in a decent neighborhood and close to some of the folks I'll be working with.

Also wondering what the local area/leave policy is and how people go about getting anywhere farther away than Albuquerque. Does everyone just drive to Lubbock or Amarillo and hop on a flight there? I know one guy on here has a couple of his own planes, have any others gone that route?

Thanks in advance,

Rman

You'll be in training for a long time. If you make it through training, you'll PCA to the squadron and deploy a lot. Use AHRN to find rentals, focus on the northeast side of town (North of 14th and East of Prince you'll probably be fine.) For night life, there's karaoke at Apple-bees. Not sure what you mean by "local area/leave policy." Travel is common on the weekends and certainly on leave. Lubbock, Amarillo, and Roswell are just under 2 hours. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are just over 3 hours. Colorado Springs/Denver are just over 5 hours. Dallas is close to 7 hours. Phoenix is around 10 hours away. People go to those places. Lots of people own planes.

All that is useful to know, thanks. Is the training done at Hurlburt? (Don't worry, I know better than to expect the answer to be yes.) I figured with the influx of people to town there might be a few bars or something opening up? Oh well. As for leave policy, I meant how far from Clovis you can go without taking leave--e.g. in my current unit, it's no more than a 6-hour drive.

You'll be in training for a long time. If you make it through training, you'll PCA to the squadron and deploy a lot. Use AHRN to find rentals, focus on the northeast side of town (North of 14th and East of Prince you'll probably be fine.) For night life, there's karaoke at Apple-bees. Not sure what you mean by "local area/leave policy." Travel is common on the weekends and certainly on leave. Lubbock, Amarillo, and Roswell are just under 2 hours. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are just over 3 hours. Colorado Springs/Denver are just over 5 hours. Dallas is close to 7 hours. Phoenix is around 10 hours away. People go to those places. Lots of people own planes.

• 2 months later...

So the move is definitely happening, 2-3 months away, and I'm now looking at places to live in Clovis and/or Portales. As discussed before, the rental market isn't exactly stellar, but I found one interesting place which is now available both to rent and to buy. It's a multi-unit home divided up into 1-br, 2-br and 3-br pieces. Located at 1018 Fairmont Ct, close to the corner of Prince and 14th. I can rent the 3-br portion (1157 sq ft, 2-car garage, 2.5 ba I think, screen porch, fenced in backyard) for $1200/mo, or buy the whole thing (4455 sq ft, 6! br, 5.25? ba, lot size about 1/4 acre) for $275k. It seems there are already tenants in the smaller sections to whom I could presumably continue subletting. I got preapproved for a VA loan if I want to go that route.

I have to move on this fairly quickly, so looking for inputs on how good/bad a deal either of these options really is, as well as the neighborhood and all that. I know it's not as far north as the "preferred" areas to live, but it is very close to many of Clovis' restaurants and a grocery store. Being used to the amenities and lifestyle of downtown Tucson, seems like this place may be as close to that (though obviously still a far cry) as I'll find over there. The house itself is 30 years old, looks decent in the pics on AHRN but I don't take those as gospel. I just found that it's also on Zillow but info there is incomplete and inaccurate. Anyone live close by and can offer an opinion? Selling price is about at the top of my range, especially as a first-time buyer, but price per square foot is very low and the place seems to have a big upside.

Thanks for the help!

RM

Anyone live close by and can offer an opinion? Selling price is about at the top of my range, especially as a first-time buyer, but price per square foot is very low and the place seems to have a big upside.

Thanks for the help!

RM

I just drove by that neighborhood today. It's older, but doesn't have that unsafe gonna get shot due to any one of the 15 drug deals on the street going wrong feel. It looks like a 3-unit home that's been for sale for almost a year. Reselling may be hard, and I personally wouldn't want to run an apartment complex while doing my day job too. It's also in the Parkwood Elementary district which is considered very undesirable. My recommendation is no.

Although I don't know anything about you or your situation, I will say that you can get a very nice home in the $200K-$250K range. This includes very nice established homes or custom builds that go up in about 75 days. I outlined the neighborhoods in a previous post, and I will stick to that assessment.

I think you will be equally disappointed by living a two minute drive from anywhere in town or a five minute walk from the "economic center." If you absolutely have to live in walking distance from the few decent restaurants or a "bar", check into the houses off Marvin Hass or Sycamore north of 21st. Also check out the golf course houses north of Llano and between Prince and Norris. There's a really good sandwich shop called coffee bistro on the corner of Colonial and Prince.

Appreciate the responses. Birdman, you know any reason why that house was on the market so long?

HU&W, your advice is probably sage. I'd honestly like nothing more than a place to rent that's very similar to where I live now (2 br, 2 ba, great location, lots of amenities, $900/mo), but obviously, that doesn't exist in Clovis. Thus, I am trying to figure out some kind of palatable alternative, and at least being able to get around some by foot or bike is a plus. I take your gist to be that I will be disappointed no matter where in town I choose to live. Should I then look seriously at a place in Portales instead? I read your previous posts in this thread; if you posted anything about neighborhoods of Clovis somewhere else, please advise.

I did just find one very reasonable rental, a sublet room in a new-ish (1994) place near the mall, available in Jan. Only roadblock to that is the owner is a Load (I'm a Nav; we won't be in the same sq). Overhead question--is this okay given the circumstances or just period-dot unacceptable? I would ask my boss-to-be as well, just wanted the BO opinion first.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know of people living in Lubbock and making the commute everyday?

I went to school in Lubbock & my folks lived in Clovis, so I made that drive often. I can tell you that the drive is exactly 1.5 hrs, then add another 20 min out to Cannon. Logging 4 hrs in the car each day doesn't seem worth it to me.